PDA

View Full Version : Radial Tonebone Hot British

ZMAN
April 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
After reading Robert's thread on Distortion pedals I happened to go on Kijiji. I was looking for a Marshall head and found a listing for the Hot British. I was in the Toronto version and it turned out the listing was actully in my home town. It was a year old and was listed for 135. I took a ride over and I got it for 125, The box had a Long and Mcquade price tag of 249.
The only distortion I was using was a DS-1. This pedal is way more versatile and I really like it. There are many settings and It really works well on the Green or clean channel of my marshall. I don't even need any of the OD pedals. On my 65 it really sounds sweet with a bit of od from my OCD or Fulldrive.
I am glad I read the thread and took Spudman's recommendation.
I am really having a lot of good luck with Kijiji. There are a lot of motivated sellers out there. So far I have bought the tonebone, a Gibson LP, an Avatar cab and the Marshal DSL 401. All for less than half of their original price!

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you like the Hot British Zman. I'd say you got a pretty fair deal on it. :AOK:
A cool thing I discovered is by boosting the mid voice I can make my Strat sound like it has P90's.

ZMAN
April 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I did some messing today with it and I dialed in my little CV strat, and I also used it for some Trower with my Esprit with the Duncan JB, and amazingly it sounded really good with my Classic with the ceramic pickups. Nice and smooth and not harsh at all.
Great little pedal. With so many choices it pays to use the book and get the settings marked down for various guitars and amp combos.
Can't get any better recomendations than from a working musician.

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Nice score. The Tonebone is definitely a nice sounding box. From the soundclips I heard, it has that tube-y crackle that you don't get from opamp based stompboxes. If you ever get sick of it, you can pass it my way :)

ZMAN
April 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yes I guess you either love them or hate them. The guy I bought it from had recently purchased it from a buddy of his and tried it. He didn't like it for his style of music. He was running it into an orginal Vibrolux Reverb and it apparently did not sound good.
It sounds great through all of my amps and I have every type of pickup on my guitars so I can try it with everything.