PDA

View Full Version : GRETSCH G5235T ELECTROMATIC-Any love?

Viking Power
April 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Checked one of these out at GC last weekend. Looked pretty. Much lighter than the Epi LP Plaintop I've been pretty much fixated on buying lately.

Anybody want to chime in on good points/bad points of this axe? :poke:

Thanks in advance!:dude:

wingsdad
April 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I actually tried one of these (the G5236T - sparkle silver top) at my Local GAS Station/Gretsch dealer. And I've had LP's, and an Epi LP Standard. Occasionally (when I forget how broke I am at the moment), my mind wanders toward an LP-type guitar Jones. So I tried this out.

Pros vs. the Epi LP? Besides the Bigsby, FWIW to you, and the mini-bucker pups, are 'nice'; if you ever think of upgrading, the size could limit your options vs. regular buckers. It's lighter, for sure, with a chambered body.

Have you considered an Epi LP Ultra? chambered hog body = lighter than an LP Standard.

Cons? Master Vol & Tone some may consider a Pro, particulary, or, if only in the both-pup position, but I find it limiting compared to an LP with V/T per pup that open up a range of tones in the both-pup position, or give you an option to leave one pup a tad louder than the other at the flip of a switch. IMO, a con.

The neck's a hair 1/16") wider than the LP's. That's an either/or. But I s'pose a Pro if your fingers or fingertips are 'chunky'.

Because of the limited vol/tone control, the mini-buckers and the neck, I crossed this off for good off my own wish-list. If I came across an Epi LP or Samick Avion that made me itch, I'd consider scratching it. But this didn't even give me a hive.

Viking Power
April 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I actually tried one of these (the G5236T - sparkle silver top) at my Local GAS Station/Gretsch dealer. And I've had an Epi LP Standard.

Pros vs. the Epi LP? Besides the Bigsby, FWIW to you, and the mini-bucker pups, are 'nice'; if you ever think of upgrading, the size could limit your options vs. regular buckers. It's lighter, for sure, with a chambered body.

Have you considered an Epi LP Ultra? chambered hog body = lighter than an LP Standard.

Cons? Master Vol & Tone some may consider a Pro, particulary, or, if only in the both-pup position, but I find it limiting compared to an LP with V/T per pup that open up a range of tones in the both-pup position, or give you an option to leave one pup a tad louder than the other at the flip of a switch. IMO, a con.

The neck's a hair 1/16") wider than the LP's. That's an either/or. But I s'pose a Pro if your fingers or fingertips are 'chunky'.

Thank you sir, for the very detailed comparison! That will help me a lot when it comes to my final selection between the two, although that may be three now that you mentioned the Epi LP Ultra!

wingsdad
April 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you sir, for the very detailed comparison! That will help me a lot when it comes to my final selection between the two, although that may be three now that you mentioned the Epi LP Ultra!
:thwap: I was editing/adding a bit (one more p'graph) to that as you posted this.:)

OK...let's make it 4 to think about: Epi LP Ultra II...with a nanomag acoustic pup mounted at the base of the fretboard, and it's own circuitry, 'stereo' kinda-sorta.:whatever:

Viking Power
April 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
:thwap: I was editing/adding a bit (one more p'graph) to that as you posted this.:)

OK...let's make it 4 to think about: Epi LP Ultra II...with a nanomag acoustic pup mounted at the base of the fretboard, and it's own circuitry, 'stereo' kinda-sorta.:whatever:

Too funny!

You're killing me though adding these extra guitars to my list! That's okay though, I appreciate the input!

markb
April 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
That Gretsch has the wrong Bigsby on it. Get the one with the tailpiece and retrofit a B3 or B7 (or a B70 or B700 if you want to save money) yourself. It's not difficult.

Rocket
April 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
OK...let's make it 4 to think about: Epi LP Ultra II...with a nanomag acoustic pup mounted at the base of the fretboard, and it's own circuitry, 'stereo' kinda-sorta.
Problem with Epi Ultra for most people is the ultra-narrow fretboard... that's a tough pill to swallow for most players.

Brian Krashpad
April 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
The reports on those I have seen have been hit and miss. Some people do not like the HB's on those, but I think mainly that group is comparing to much more expensive MIJ 6000 series Jets; I've also seen complaints about the weight, despite the chambering.

I have a 5255 Special Jet, same body shape, but it's a pretty different guitar: flat-top, wrap bridge (no Bigsby), and DeArmond 2000 singles instead of the Gretsch minibuckers. Fwiw, mine plays as well as any of the 3 Epi's I've owned (although none of those Epi's was an LP).

Viking Power
April 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
The reports on those I have seen have been hit and miss. Some people do not like the HB's on those, but I think mainly that group is comparing to much more expensive MIJ 6000 series Jets; I've also seen complaints about the weight, despite the chambering.

I have a 5255 Special Jet, same body shape, but it's a pretty different guitar: flat-top, wrap bridge (no Bigsby), and DeArmond 2000 singles instead of the Gretsch minibuckers. Fwiw, mine plays as well as any of the 3 Epi's I've owned (although none of those Epi's was an LP).

Thanks for the input.

Brian Krashpad
April 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the input.

No worries. My take on them is, if I could find one used at a good price and had the chance to play first, it'd be at least a 50/50 chance of me liking it.

I'm an admitted cheap bastard so I'd never pay street for one though.

My Special Jet had a street price similar to those other Electromatic Jets (the Bigsby models, I'm guessing the price for the Special was comparable despite the lack of Bigsby because the DeArmond singles are USA-made while the mini-HB's on the other Jets are MIC), around 5 bills iirc. I got mine for $235 + shipping, used, one small ding, on ebay.

Here's what the Special looks like (much simpler), for comparison's sake:

http://static.flickr.com/27/94152145_373b9f3161_o.jpg

PS-- looked around the web, looks like the Pro Jets are now streeting for 6 bills rather than five. I'm guessing it's the Fender price increase bleeding over onto Gretsch. I'm pretty sure a couple years ago these were five bills.

Viking Power
April 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
No worries. My take on them is, if I could find one used at a good price and had the chance to play first, it'd be at least a 50/50 chance of me liking it.

I'm an admitted cheap bastard so I'd never pay street for one though.

My Special Jet had a street price similar to those other Electromatic Jets (the Bigsby models, I'm guessing the price for the Special was comparable despite the lack of Bigsby because the DeArmond singles are USA-made while the mini-HB's on the other Jets are MIC), around 5 bills iirc. I got mine for $235 + shipping, used, one small ding, on ebay.

PS-- looked around the web, looks like the Pro Jets are now streeting for 6 bills rather than five. I'm guessing it's the Fender price increase bleeding over onto Gretsch. I'm pretty sure a couple years ago these were five bills.

Yeah, the 6 bills price tag is quite the turn-off especially with the Epi LP Plain Top going for closer to 4 if I go that route........

Tough call. The Gretsch was pretty though and I do wonder if I'll be happy without a tremolo if I get the Epi. Would I be able to play surf guitar without one?

Ahhhh decisions, decisions!

markb
April 16th, 2009, 09:34 PM
And what's wrong with putting a B7 on a Les Paul?

Big photo (and not mine) so here's a link http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/tx9hemi/jan21B008.jpg

Rocket
April 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM
And what's wrong with putting a B7 on a Les Paul?
Man, there's something kinda unnatural about that... but if Les doesn't see anything wrong, it's ok with me too!

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages/lespaulbigsby.jpg

...although I'd have to think about this one for a long while:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/ratmix/Gits/mmbigs.jpg

markb
April 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'll give you the second one, Rocket :)

Viking Power
April 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Man, there's something kinda unnatural about that... but if Les doesn't see anything wrong, it's ok with me too!

That's the impression I've always had is that it's sort of sacrilegious, but as you say if it's okay with Les than that's pretty much the stamp of approval!

BTW, sacrilegious is a damn hard word to spell! Seems like it should be sacreligious, but I guess not!