PDA

View Full Version : Speaker for Silverface Princeton

homelife88
April 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a later blackface/silverface Princeton amp, and I'm trying to get some ideas on some speaker options. I will be getting a Mojo baffle for a 12" speaker. So I'm looking for a 12" speaker that will get me a smoother, tweed-like tone, but still allow me to get a more raw, Ampeg-type breakup ala the Stones/Faces. I'm a huge Weber fan, so probably going to go with one of his speakers. Can anyone give me any ideas on what speaker might work for me?

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Makes sure your amph will accept the baffle before you buy one. Some of those Princetons you can't swap the baffles in.

A lot of folks really like the Jensen speakers in those but I'll bet just about any 12" of decent quality will sound much better than the 10" that's in there now. I replaced mine with a 10" alnico and it made a big improvement but still isn't where I want it.

Look for an efficient speaker to get more volume and clean headroom.

goonrick
April 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I know you've stated you're a Weber fan, but if anyone you know has a Jensen MOD 12-70 give it a try. It sounds great clean at low levels and growls just a bit when you drive it hard. It's definitely got the warm thing going for it but isn't at all dull. It's not terribly efficient, which actually serves well to moderate volume levels a bit--making for a great recording setup if you want.

I have one that I've used with about everything I can get my hands on and I've loved it every time. Everything from a Fender Deluxe to a Laney LC-15 to a little single ended 5W and a couple of SS amps for good measure. The speaker shined every time.

sumitomo
April 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'll have to agree with Spud any good 12" will sound good but to be sure go ahead and send it to my house cause I have a bunch of different 12" there and I can tell you which one sounds the best so that way you wont waste your money on one you wont like.Sumi:D

markb
April 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I think you'll need a pedal to make a SF Princeton "tweedy". A Celestion or other british voiced speaker will give it more midrange focus.

homelife88
April 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine has an original blackface PR that he let me try out. He added a mid control to it and a put in a 12" Celestion AlNiCo Blue. I love the tone of his amp, but it's pretty chimey for my taste as he plays in a country band, and I'm straight blues/classic rock.

Is this the character of the amp, or is it mostly the speaker that gives it this type of tone?

I generally think of Celestion speakers as having a British Rock/Country sort of character. I'm looking for something with a little smoother top end. Maybe something that can give me a modern Clapton sort of feel, but still get me in the ballpark of that Stones' tone.

markb
April 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
This looks to be a useful reference for speakers.

http://www.gtraudio.com/products.html