PDA

View Full Version : 12/6

Steve206
April 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hello folks,

Due to a fairly poor record of employment over the past 18 months and the following economic repercussions that affected my guitar ownership/stewardship, I made a decision that would allow me to continue playing a decent rosewood B/S dread.

I have removed six of the strings off of my 87 Wash D28-12. A little tweak on the trussrod and I am enjoying a new sound and approach. I also find that the extra room on the fretboard is very welcome, as I grew up playing classical necks.

I have seen a few of the older bluesmen, playing semi hollow bodied 12's, strung with six. Another case of, use what you have.

I can always go back to 12 strings. But, being able to utilize the guitar as a six string seems like a hidden benefit.

Steve

thearabianmage
April 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
It's always great making a change to your guitar that gives it a new lease of life. My friend recently did that with an old guitar of his - he hated it, but after playing my fretless guitar, decided to de-fret it. Now he plays it quite a bit - more than he did when he first got it.

Good times.

Brian Krashpad
April 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
What a great idea.

I'd never have thunk of it.

Good onya.

Steve206
April 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hey folks,,,

I tried this approach about ten years ago and it worked. This time around, I am picking up a little fret buzz, even with the truss rod completely relaxed. I put Dad lights on, 12 - 53. Just might have to go with mediums to get the proper reaction.

Steve

Steve206
April 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Just on a wild hair of an idea, I decided to string the guitar, using the back bridge pin holes instead of the front ones. Figured, or hoped, that I would get a little extra tension from the different position. Still in test mode.

Steve