PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an Epiphone bass

Duff
April 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM
My son is going to give me an Epiphone transparent red, set mahogany neck and solid mahogany body, Les Paul long scale bass with humbucking big soapbar type pickups.

I'm excited about it and wonder if anyone has played or owns one of these? I have a hot rodded naturally relic'd '05 Squire black body with a new Fender black with white layer pickguard, and hot guitarfetish.com P bass pickups, Affinity P bass. It sounds awesome.

I also have a new Affinity metallic red Jazz bass that sounds really good for an inexpensive bass thru my new release Marshall MB30 bass practice amp with clean and dirty channels, manual adjustable compression, and three voices manually adjustable with a dedicated knob and a contour knob in the eq, plus a bunch of other great attributes; not the least of which that it handles my five string Schecter Stilletto V Elite without crackling and popping like so many bass amps do with a five string. Must have been designed by Marshall with five strings in mind. Great amp for 168 out the door with a coupon of course. I also have a Fender Rumble 100 that is heavey and stationary and has the red syncronized flashing lights that reflect thru the bottom tone ports. It think it is cool and the red lights are switchable so you can turn them off if you are intimidated.

Anyway, the Epi LP trans red set neck bass is the thing I'm wanting to know anything about that any of you might have to offer based upon experience or even conjecture. Of course there is no substitute for experience but a good helping of conjecture is always helpful.

Thanks, hopefully, in advance for the great input. Please?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Duffy,
That sounds like a nice bass, and a nice son, too.:)
I can't be of any help, but I'd sure like to see a pic of it when you get it, if you have time.:)

Jimi75
April 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I have attended a workshop some years ago where one ofthe bass players played that Epi bass. It sounded huge. Seemed like a great instrument.

Brian Krashpad
April 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
LP basses never caught on. I've never seen one in real life and am having trouble visualizing ever having seen one played in a band, like on TV or on the net. They're the least fave of the Gibson/Epi basses, sfaik (Thunderbirds and SG basses are much more popular, but still dwarfed by Fender and even Ric and EB/MM basses). I think I've seen more of the old Ripper and Grabber Gibson basses than I have LP basses.

Not saying there's anything wrong with them, mind you. Just that you may have a hard time finding anyone who's ever played one.

msteeln
April 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
...the new Epi Thunderbird's are better than the actual Gibson reissues.

Hard to top a Thunderbird, in looks alone.

Duff
April 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Msteeln,

I bought my son a Goth Epi Thunderbird four string that he loves, got the Epi hard shell, expensive ish case for it too. That is a cool bass, but the LP in Red flammed maple transparent finish is nothing to scoff at by any means and looks great.

The oriental appearing guy in Sarah McLaughlin's Afterglow DVD is playing a red flammed maple top LP bass; a Gibson or Epiphone I would imagine. Great bass player as well. Wonder if that band survived her supposed break up with her husband, one of the guitar players?

I like my inexpensive Squire Affinity P bass, hot rodded and bought used; and my new affinity red metallic J bass. I bet Seymour Duncan J bass Quarter Pounders would transform the sound of that metallic red J bass.

Just missed out on a Peavey Zodiac Scorpion with P J configuration and all Quarter Pounders. It sounded awesome. They still have a very inexpensive regular Peavey Zodiac with the red tortise shell pickguard on a black body that I might consider for 199. What do you think?

Thanks for all the great feedback on this apparently somewhat obscure LP bass.

Peace,

Duffy

Jimi75
April 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Here's a video of that guy I saw at the workshop.

VSGjJdOQMhw

In the video you can not see if it is a Gibson or an Epi, but at the workshop he played an Epi and it soudned great.

Duff49
April 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
My son dropped off the red transparent flammed maple set neck Epi LP bass today and it looks beautiful. Can't wait to try it out with my rig. It has the tail strap pin missing two holes drilled I'll fill and put in another pin, but otherwise it is looking good except for one ding, natural relic'ing.

I got the Peavey Zodiac BXP P J bass, by the way, for 199 new. The Scorpion Zodiac was gone. This BXP is awesome looks, feel, sound, tone, etc. It has a black body and red tortoise shell pickguard and rosewood board. Nice low action and a new set of strings, Slinky 55 to 105s. Sounds great and is fun to play. Lucked out on this place eliminating all of their Peavey stuff. Got a Tiger Maple top "HP Signature EX" super strat type beautiful guitar with two gold hb's and gold trim. Really nice. 199 as well. An unbelievable guitar. It's one of my best guitars and that Ibanez alligator hide ART 300 is also awesome. They also have a JSM mini collossal five watt Peavey amp with an adjustable attenuator on the back and switchable extension speaker jack for four, eight, and sixteen ohm cabinest. Sounds really good for having a cheap looking eight inch speaker in it. Class A, sound REAL good. The place would ship I'm quite sure. If you are interested call me at 570 764 5705.

Regarding that 300 an older fellow, pro guitar tech since he was sixteen, now sixty nine, told me that it is possible to put the two double A batteries in the active electronics port incorrectly. Hey, we have all done it with flashlights and stuff. Well he is fixing a 300 right now that a guy accidently put the batteries in wrong and it shorted out the Ebanez active pickups; to the tune of some bucks. Just something to keep in mind if you have one of these, be careful when you replace the double A batteries and pay attention.

Hope this helps someone out.

Oh, I'm also getting my son's Goth Epi Thunderbird IV. Of course some day they will all be his, so he is benefiting from the deal and he is getting some much needed money as well.

I don't know yet how much I'll play the LP bass, because I am enjoying my own basses. The hot rodded Squire affinity P bass with the GFS Pro Plus hot P bass pups sounds practically as good as my Schecter with the active EMG pups. But my ear is not as tuned in as some of you guys, but it is getting way better. Playing in the dark helps a lot, as well as closing your eyes and emersing yourself in the sounds, for me anyway.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

I'll let you know how the LP bass sounds. Looks awesome. Maybe I'll use my Zoom pedal and record some clips.

Also, tomorrow is supposed to be nice around here and maybe I can get some nice outside picture in natural light of some of the guitars and basses I've been talking about.

Brian Krashpad
May 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
...the new Epi Thunderbird's are better than the actual Gibson reissues.

Hard to top a Thunderbird, in looks alone.

By weird coincidence, I just picked up a used T-bird for $100 even. Deets here, check it out:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11422

Duff, let's see some pics of the LP bass!