PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid string guage sets

southsidetele
April 15th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Hello eveyone,
Will using a hybrid guage set of strings cause any negative effect on the neck? Long or short term. Considering guages 9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42 for my strat. The strat is set up with 10's, and the bridge pulled flat to the body. Don't use the trem bar. I am concerned the uneven tension might cause the neck to warp or twist. I have a squire classic vibe tele, American Stat & Epi LP. Eveyone's advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. I used a similar hybrid gauge set on a Roadhouse Strat I loaned my father. I had to adjust the neck relief just a tad, and it's played fine and hasn't moved a bit, neck-wise.

Mr Grumpy
April 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I used a set of roto oranges (9-46) on my GS recently, no neck issues but didnt like the feel. Went back to good ol Yellows (10-46)

markb
April 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've used hybrids a lot. You won't even have to adjust the neck going from 10-46 to 9-46. There certainly won't be any damage. 9-42 is just a plain old light set though and might need a small tweak to truss and intonation.

TS808
April 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I don't see any damage being done to the neck. The only time I've seen a neck get a little twisted was with a heavy gauge hybrid set of 11-52 on my brother's tele that he bought in the 80's. I think that gauge was just too heavy for his guitar.

southsidetele
April 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Thank you all for your advise on this. I have one question...A couple of you said the relief might need to be adjusted. Which way? When putting on the lighter guage top strings, will the neck need more relief or less?
Thanks

goonrick
April 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I've used 10-52 sets on my strat with no problems. I've also used a regular set of 11s (11-50) with no problems. There will be the inevitable neck relief and saddle adjustments, but other than that it works fine. Heavier strings give better tuning stability, IMO, but they can also be a workout. It's one of life's many trade-offs.

You can also try Everly's B-52 strings which feature Alloy 52--a corrosion resistant, fully magnetic wire--in both the core and windings. With a larger string diameter and fully magnetic strings you will get a nice, fat bottom end.

goonrick
April 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for your advise on this. I have one question...A couple of you said the relief might need to be adjusted. Which way? When putting on the lighter guage top strings, will the neck need more relief or less?
Thanks

With larger strings, the string tension increases, so you'll have to increase the rod tension to bring the neck back into balance. You will be tightening the tension rod.

Fab4
April 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I use Hybrid Slinkys on all my Strat/Tele type guitars and I've never noticed any particular neck issues related to the strings. Necks need to be adjusted due to changes in the guitar's humidity, aging, temperature swings and all kinds of other factors, including string gauge changes.

It's a good idea to know how to tweak your truss rod and your action at the bridge so you can dial in your guitars the way you like them as seasons change or as you move them around.

It's not hard to learn or hard to do (although on some guitars it's easier than on others), and there are lots of resources in print and on the internet to help you out. Guitars are tools. The better you know how to use them, the better they'll work for you. Good luck!

markb
April 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks

If you fit lighter strings the truss rod will pull the neck straighter or even give it a slight back bow. Loosen the truss rod to compensate but do it 1/8th of a turn at a time. Capo the first fret and stop the string at the first fret supported by the body to measure the relief. You want about the thickness of a B string between the strings and the 8th fret. Use an old string as a feeler gauge. You should measure relief with the guitar in the playing position, not lying on its back.

TS808
April 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
It's a good idea to know how to tweak your truss rod and your action at the bridge so you can dial in your guitars the way you like them as seasons change or as you move them around.

It's not hard to learn or hard to do (although on some guitars it's easier than on others), and there are lots of resources in print and on the internet to help you out. Guitars are tools. The better you know how to use them, the better they'll work for you. Good luck!

Excellent advice...I really think it's necessary to learn how to set up your own guitar, and there are alot of great resources in print, and on the web regarding truss rod relief. Fender has alot of info on their site for example of recommended set up specs.

just strum
April 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
what are hybrid string guage sets?

ZMAN
April 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
They run on electricity.

markb
April 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
what are hybrid string guage sets?

If we take 9-42, 10-46, 11-50 as standard, they're the inbetween sets, 9-46, 10-52. That sort of thing. They allow lighter plain strings for easier bending with tougher wound strings for chunkier rhythms. For instance, a lot of country players like 10-52 for Bakersfield style playing. I think that's the idea anyway :confused:

ZMAN
April 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Actually I use D'Addario 9.5s. They are 9.5,11.5,16,24,34,44.. I like them better than 10s. I use them on all my guitars including Strats.

Fab4
April 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
what are hybrid string gauge sets?

They way I look at them is that they combine a lighter set for the unwound strings and the next heavier set for the wound strings. For example, the Hybrid Slinkys I use are 9-46, a "hybrid" of a 9-42 set and a 10-46 set.

I started using them because I read that Brent Mason uses a bigger gauge on his lower two strings to get a more wiry bass sound without sacrificing "bendability" on the higher strings. Well, he can afford custom gauge sets. Little ol' me has to resort to a commercially-available Hybrid Set...and by golly, they work. I like the heavier bottom strings because they do sound more wiry AND I can hit them harder for rhythm without flopping them around.

However, I only use them on Strat/Tele type guitars with a little longer scale. For shorter scale Gibson-type guitars, I use standard 10s. That's nice because all my guitars feel pretty much the same, string-tension-wise (is that a word?), so it's no sweat to switch between various guitars over the course of a set.

oldguy
April 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
:AOK: Yeah, that's a word, or three. You just invented it!

southsidetele
April 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Put the Ernie Ball Hybrid 9's - 46 on. NO PROBLEM! After 3 days, neck has not moved and only slight intonation adjustment needed. Thanks for all help and advise.