PDA

View Full Version : Is your memory like this?

Robert
April 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Jill Price has the ability to never forget, she remembers every single thing that she has ever seen or done.

I wish some of that could rub off on me. :whatever:

aAbQvmf0YOQ

Rocket
April 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Honestly, I'm grateful to have forgotten many things in my life... wait... what were we talking about?

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Geez, my junior year in college is a complete blank to me.... ;) :D

SuperSwede
April 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Awesome, but I cannot say that I´m jealous (even if my memory COULD be a little bit better according to my wife)

thearabianmage
April 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It's cool that this lady has the ability to memorize so much but, from the interview, doesn't seem to have any social difficulties.

There is a man named Kim Peek who is autistic, and he has a much more photographic memory - but at what cost?

myGKyS940Ac

tyoc
April 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
there is no cost... I think :), we think there is a cost :)

Mr Grumpy
April 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I thought ALL women never forgot anything at all, ever. Or maybe it was just my ex wife.

Rocket
April 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
there is no cost... I think :), we think there is a cost :)
Here's a cost: Imagine being sexually abused, terrorized, (or similar memorable event,) as a child... and that memory always being just as vivid as the moment it happened, never being able to fade or diminish.

Sometimes lost/faded memories are a requirement for good mental health!

thearabianmage
April 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Here's a cost: Imagine being sexually abused, terrorized, (or similar memorable event,) as a child... and that memory always being just as vivid as the moment it happened, never being able to fade or diminish.

But in the name of universal equilibrium - imagine your first kiss or the first moment you looked into that special person's eyes and felt that electric rush pulsate from your chest outward - and had the ability to feel that same rush whenever you wanted to for the rest of your life.

Sometimes the mixture of good and bad memories make us the people we are.

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Precisely the reason we tend to hold onto good memories, and the bad ones dissipate over time. Also why most photographs are of happy times, rather than sad ones, in the family photo albums.

Rocket
April 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Sometimes the mixture of good and bad memories make us the people we are.
Who claimed to be "people"?
"We" select or reject "our" memories as a matter of preference!

just strum
April 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM

or the strength of the drug.

marnold
April 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, I've got a photogenic memory.

street music
April 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
If I had a great memory then playing guitar would be a lot easier for sure. I have trouble with peoples names that I saw yesterday.

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
That's what I was just telling tot, we were looking at the sombrero nebula and I was saying..............
Oops.......wrong thread.........sorry.............

thearabianmage
April 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM

:confused:

To an extent - but to those with traumatic experiences like the ones you mentioned earlier, the selectiveness of their memories are limited. And let me tell you, my 23 y.o. flat-mate has the same nightmare every night about a traumatic experience he had when he was 3. I didn't believe him until I heard him screaming at the top of his lungs at 5AM one morning. Did he choose to keep that memory?

I'm not exactly sure what you meant when you put 'our' into apostrophies other than that our memories are not ours (then whose are they?) or that our 'memories' are part of a 'collective conscience' - a catalogue of information - that all people share at a very base level.

Are one of those correct?

Rocket
April 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
You missed the gag Mage...

thearabianmage
April 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You missed the gag Mage...

. . . sorry :thwap:

What was the gag? :D

Rocket
April 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ask tot.

thearabianmage
April 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ask tot.

Ahh! :AOK:

That would have been one of my :poke: moments. . .

sumitomo
April 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm still glad I remember to go to the bathroom! Sumi:D

Robert
April 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm still glad I remember to go to the bathroom! Sumi:D

We are too. :)

tyoc
April 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM

There is a difference between block and have a good memory, I think one not relate with the other, Im sure this guy can block some things.

Apart, that is not a problem about memory, is a problem about society and people... not really a problem of memory... that bad thing shouldnt not occur in first place.... if you want "mental health" why request it to the abused instead of the ostigator? ;).

--------------------------------------------

In the case of pure memory... there is also amnesia... there is a case in the world where a man from some time now (when he has like 40?? and to this day... say he have already some years in amnesia... was a documental the one I see IIRC) only remember his last 30 seconds of life or so... sure he loves to see his wife like if he hasnt watched in a lot of time!!!... even that he have watched she in the last minute... he still think that his son (girl) as just near ended university while she has already a husband and childs....

I think in this 2 extreme cases... is best to life with all your memories good or bad even if they are terrible and horrible and you dont know how to protect yourself (in that time, now and the rest of your life) than forget all and live like that.

But OK OK, I will not say more, I not think is a problem to have good solid memory in any case. I think I dont have good memory but I know that is best than other people.

sumitomo
April 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Tyoc esta ingles es mejor! muy bien Sumi:D

tyoc
April 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
haha, sorry if I write crappy English, I have not received a "real curse" :) (your spanish also is not good, or was that on intend??? hehehe :D)

Also... for be more puntual here is the dude (or an article about) http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/24/070924fa_fact_sacks

See this at the end... (this is an extreme case of not been able to remember... amnesia, not something you "choose" to forget or best say block).

“Look!” he said. “It’s new!” He couldn’t take his eyes off it.
“It’s the same chocolate,” I said gently.
“No . . . look! It’s changed. It wasn’t like that before . . .” He covered and uncovered the chocolate every couple of seconds, lifting and looking.
“Look! It’s different again! How do they do it?”

Kazz
April 16th, 2009, 04:11 AM
ha....he said Sumi's Spanish sucks LMAO reminds me of that scene in Tombstone where Ringo tells the other cowboy...."That's not what he said, you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."

Later when Curly Bill asks Johnny what he meant.....

"Hey Johnny, what did that Mexican mean by a sick horse is going to get us?
Ringo says "He was quoting the Bible, Revelations. Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death...and Hell followed with him."

sumitomo
April 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
[(your spanish also is not good, or was that on intend??? hehehe :D)

Intento Sumi:D:rockon:

tyoc
April 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
If you want, we can talk in spanish :), sure via msg for not "polute" the threads :)... if you want for practice (I practice each time I write something in a forum... that is also why I join forums ;)... and also time to time see vidcast, podcast and so on, for practice a little more listening, read books, etc). Anyone who want to talk in spanish :P is free to PM, hehe.