PDA

View Full Version : G.A.S. attack for me too ....

jpfeifer
July 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I saw the posting from Bloozcat about his admitted G.A.S. attack and it sounded familiar.

My G.A.S. attack is for another guitar. Yes, I own a small collection of guitars but it's not huge. One thing that I've always wanted to have was a good humbucker-equiped guitar (preferably semi-hollow). I have a good Strat and my Newport which is good for P90 sounds, but I don't have a guitar to cover the fat Les Paul and 335 kinds of sounds.

I was in Guitar Center the other day and tried out one of the PRS Hollowbody II models (igoring the price tag for now). I plugged it into a Mesa Boogie and a Bassman to test it out. This guitar also has a piezo pickup system that can be blended with the humbuckers. In addition, this particular model had a very high quality flame maple carved top and back. This was one of the best guitars that I've ever played and best looking also. It sounded extremely good and did the Les Paul/335 thing extremely well also. It also sounded fantastic for fingerstyle solo guitar with the piezo pickup mixed in. The only problem is that a guitar like this costs 2 arms and 2 legs. Don't you hate it when you find an instrument that you really connect with but then you realize that it's too expensive? Anyway, this is part of the fun of visiting a music store, you learn about the different guitars on the market and what they're good at.

-- Jim

duhvoodooman
July 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I developed GAS pains for a 335-type recently, too. But a sense of fiscal responsibility (along with the specter of divorce court!) limited me to modestly priced ones. I looked at Ibanez Artcores at my local GC, and just wasn't impressed. But I also tried an Epi Dot and really liked how it felt and played. Went home and bought a nice used one off eBay a couple of days later, including a hardshell case and upgraded p'ups. Should arrive early next week. So at least, it turned out to be cheap GAS! ;)

Bloozcat
July 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
These are terrible responsibilities we must bear. We must keep the economy going. And if we don't step up and do it, then who will? :D

SuperSwede
July 29th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Aria Pro makes great 335 copies too.. check them out!