PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get better? Then...

Jimi75
April 17th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Follow these few simple practice tips from John Petrucci.

1) Have a goal.

Say to yourself, “During this hour I’m going to master this passage.” There’s nothing wrong with noodling—it can actually produce some of the best ideas—but you’ll get a lot more out of your practice time if you have an agenda.

2) Vary your practicing.

Don’t get stuck in a rut. If you started yesterday’s practice playing arpeggios, start today’s with scales. Also, try to make a song out of what you’re practicing to help break the tedium.

3) Use a metronome.

…or a drum machine or sequencer, if you have one. Whatever you use is fine; what’s important is that you learn how to play in time.

4) Go easy (even when shredding).

It’s all about training the tiny muscles in your hands. Start slow, relax and don’t press hard. When you watch your favorite guitarists play, notice how little their hands and fingers move sometimes. The economy of motion can’t be overemphasized.

5) Record yourself.

After you’ve practiced for an hour or so, turn down the lights and record yourself playing. Improvise and go nuts, then playback what you’ve recorded and listen for your strengths and weaknesses. We record Dream Theater shows and I’ll sit on the bus and listen to my playing—what worked, what didn’t. A lot of times it’s embarrassing and humbling, but that’s what you have to do to get better.

Robert
April 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Great Post! I want to add:

6) Think long-term. Very few make big improvements fast, but those who stick to practicing effectively and regularly will become really good players with time. Here is where I recommend this book about Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Keys-Success-Long-Term-Fulfillment/dp/0452267560).

7) Have fun!

Jimi75
April 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Great Post! I want to add:

6) Think long-term. Very few make big improvements fast, but those who stick to practicing effectively and regularly will become really good players with time. Here is where I recommend this book about Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Keys-Success-Long-Term-Fulfillment/dp/0452267560).

7) Have fun!

+1 Robert
Especially 7) is one of the keys!

To me it made a huge difference starting to practice with a metronom - it's absolutely crucial to becoming thight and to measure the steps you have reached.

bigG
April 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Agreed! It's all about the fun and enjoyment, isn't it! Very good!

Robert
April 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
3b) - always tap your foot with the metronome and the rhythm you are playing. That way, you will lock your body into the meter, and you will become good at playing tight. Good timing is soooo important - more important than scales/chords knowledge for example, in my humble opinon.

street music
April 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Robert that is my weakness-timing! I'm working on it but that is openly my area of weakness in playing.

TS808
April 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
2) Vary your practicing.

Don’t get stuck in a rut. If you started yesterday’s practice playing arpeggios, start today’s with scales. Also, try to make a song out of what you’re practicing to help break the tedium.

This is excellent advice. I get REAL comfortable playing the same things, same style, etc. After a while all it does is lead to a rut and it's a great idea to change things up.

I still need these reminders every so often.