PDA

View Full Version : What kind of nut should I get?

Robert
July 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I want to replace the cheap plastic nuts on my Squier Tele and '51 - what kind should I get? Those graphtech nuts seem nice since they are precut. I don't have any nut files, but maybe I should get some.

Suggestions appreciated!

SuperSwede
July 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I´ve heard that rolling nuts is supposed to be quite good, even for non tremolo guitars.

Cranium
July 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Brass nut! (just because Yngwie uses one and it looks cool, also they say it sustains nicely :R ) If you can't find a brass nut anywhere get a bone nut :D

t_ross33
July 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Graph Tech. Sustain + ease of installation + economic (like $12 ea) = 100 times better than plastic.

To cut your own you will likely need a set of guages to measure the depth of the cut, as well as a set of nut files to cut the slots.

Robert
July 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Where do you buy yours, T-Ross? I wonder where I should buy these things. If I can buy from somewhere in Canada, all the better.

t_ross33
July 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Actually, I just took my guitar into a local tech and he installed it for me, as well as set the action, intonation etc. $12 on the bill for the nut and $20 for a set up - pretty cheap.

Toyed with the idea of buying a few on line just to have on hand in case I ever buy an SX guitar :D

Cranium
July 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Well I was just looking through google and I found this site-http://www.dguitarparts.com/nuts.htm
They seem to have quite a few slotted nuts, even brass :D you should check it out Robert.

Spudman
July 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I put bone nuts on my Squiers and they seem alright. What I noticed is the sound became a little bit "more." That's the best I can describe it. You can cut your own bone nuts by visiting your local butcher shop and getting some bone. Use a small saw to cut what you need and see what you think.

tremoloman
July 31st, 2006, 07:26 AM
Robert,

I get my pre-cut Graph-Tech nuts from Stew-Mac. Here's the link to them:

Graph-Tech precut nuts (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Graph_Tech_Nuts.html)

They are only $6.53/ea USD and should install without any cutting or sanding. You may need to file down the width if you have a narrow neck, but besides that these are a breeze to install and are very affordable.

Robert
July 31st, 2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys, our drummer is a meat manager, so maybe I'll ask him about some cow bone or something!

Cranium, thanks for that link, looks like they've got lots of good stuff there, plus the take PayPal, perfect.

Tremoloman, stewmac don't take PayPal, I'd prefer that.

Katastrophe
July 31st, 2006, 03:31 PM
I'll put in a vote for graphite. I have one on my ESP that's 12 years old, and is only now starting to stick a *little* bit. I've been told not to use a brass nut, as it tends to make the guitar sound tinny. However, I have metal nuts on my Floyd equipped guitars, and have found that not to be the case with those.