PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for a sweet deal on a laptop?

luvmyshiner
April 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Several years ago my work computer crashed and I panicked. Everything was on my hard drive, documents, time slips, billing, accounting, everything. And of I course I wasn't backing up like I should. Fortunately it wasn't my hard drive that crashed and I was able to recover my data. Since then I've made a habit of replacing my work computer every two years rather than waiting for it to go down.

So anyway, I ordered one of these last week. It's exactly the same as the computer I purchased two years ago for $1800, except it has more memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114611&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Notebooks-_-Toshiba+America-_-34114611

duhvoodooman
April 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
WOW!! :eek: That's some deal! If I needed a laptop, I'd be all over that....

just strum
April 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
My daughter keeps asking for one (when will she get a job?).

Interesting deal.

Are you happy with yours (except the damn Vista thing)?

luvmyshiner
April 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
It does a great job for what I need Strum. Keep in mind I'm not a big gamer or anything. My primary uses are word processing and work related stuff.

And now that I've gotten used to Vista, it's really not that bad. Some of the safeguards get a little redundant, but it's a stable operating platform. I don't think it has ever crashed on me.

just strum
April 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
It does a great job for what I need Strum. Keep in mind I'm not a big gamer or anything. My primary uses are word processing and work related stuff.

And now that I've gotten used to Vista, it's really not that bad. Some of the safeguards get a little redundant, but it's a stable operating platform. I don't think it has ever crashed on me.

I have Vista on my work laptop (the one I use at work and home) and it has Vista. The thing that gave me a problem (and still does) is the new version of MS Office. I can never remember where some of the commands are.

The downside of the Toshiba, would be having to purchase a new version of MS Office for it. Where I use to work, they would let us take the program home to load on our home computers if they were used for work. The IT Director where I am now won't allow it, but will sell you one of the licenses.

Tibernius
April 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The downside of the Toshiba, would be having to purchase a new version of MS Office for it. Where I use to work, they would let us take the program home to load on our home computers if they were used for work. The IT Director where I am now won't allow it, but will sell you one of the licenses.

Have you considered using OpenOffice instead?

http://www.openoffice.org/

I think it has trouble with a couple of advanced formulas that are sometimes used for spreadsheets, but other than that it's pretty much the same. Only you don't have to pay for it. :AOK:

luvmyshiner
April 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
One thing that is a little frustrating about Vista involves compatibility problems with older software. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go ahead an upgrade my calendar software.

I've been using a version of Microsoft Outlook that I purchased when I went into private practice over ten years ago. There are some glitches when running it in Vista (for example, the automatic archive function doesn't work, and you can't back it up). Microsoft's position is that they still "support" it, but they're not going to fix the glitches.:thwap:

I've heard good things about OpenOffice Tibernius, from my son the software engineer. I just hate having to learn new programs.

just strum
April 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Last week I told my daughter to sell some of my guitars and the RP350, but she wanted to negotiate commission (brat). I'll text her tomorrow when she's returning from Orlando and tell her sell the stuff and we will put it towards the laptop.

marnold
April 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I've been using OpenOffice.org for several years now, basically ever since they got a decent WordPerfect importer/exporter. I use Linux full time. OOo and Firefox made that transition very straightforward.

WRT the original topic, I do like to play some older games on my computer. Most of the graphics "solutions" on low-end laptops won't cut it even for old games. Plus laptop keyboards make me throw up blood.

luvmyshiner
April 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Marnold, I agree with you about the keyboards. I use a full size external keyboard on mine when at work. As far as the graphics are concerned, my son downloaded Eve on my laptop last weekend when he was here, and had no problems with it. So this one should be ok. I don't think it's so much a "low-end" laptop as it is an older laptop that they're trying to clear out.

Tone2TheBone
April 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I have that laptop. Works great I would recommend it.

just strum
April 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Am I going crazy, but weren't these laptops 399? I just checked it out again and they are $499.

Did I miss read it the previous time I looked?

luvmyshiner
April 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Gotta move quick Strummy. Looks like the special they were running last week is gone. Mine arrived via UPS yesterday, and of course the box was damaged.:thwap: Having learned my lesson the hard way with the D'Aquisto, I opened it and looked it over before I let the UPS guy leave.

Works great. Unfortunately I haven't had time to get it all set up yet. But since I'm using it to replace a laptop that still works, it's no hurry. Maybe this weekend.

just strum
April 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Works great. Unfortunately I haven't had time to get it all set up yet. But since I'm using it to replace a laptop that still works, it's no hurry. Maybe this weekend.

I have to tell my daughter no laptop for now.

luvmyshiner
April 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Keep watching it Strummy. They run those specials every three or four weeks. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

just strum
April 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Keep watching it Strummy. They run those specials every three or four weeks. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Hey, thanks. Someone on another forum pointed out that there are great buys on E-bay from reputable dealers, but I have that "banned from E-bay" thing going on still.

Blaze
May 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I have the 2 year younger version of this Lenovo Laptop ,it s now way faster and bigger on hard drive, etc...

I like mine , no problem at all..

This is a good deal :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146556&nm_mc=AFC-DealNews&cm_mmc=AFC-DealNews-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA