PDA

View Full Version : Is Bass Practice Amp Necessary?

Faithfender
April 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm primarily a guitar player.. (Fender Mexican Stratocaster and Cybertwin amp.)
However I bought a Fender Squire Jazz bass to record bass tracks for my home recording. My question to those of you who play both or just have an opinion is how important you think it is to buy a bass amp? I'm being careful not to turn up the volume too loud on the cybertwin. Of course I don't want to blow a speaker. But I'm wondering if that's risky even playing low but high enough to make my recording.
Thanks for your input.
Faithfender.

wingsdad
April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Unless you need someone else to hear your bass part at the same time as you're laying it down, or your home recording rig doesn't include some kind of monitor system, even if just headphones, then no, a bass amp isn't essential.

In fact, IMHO, it's easier to record bass direct with a good, dry signal, then touch up eq, add a degree of compression and throw some reverb around it to give it depth.

Spudman
April 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
If you are just messing around the house the Cyber Twin should work fine. Just don't crank it. I use whatever amp I have around the house to play bass out loud and as long as it isn't cranked there has never been any problem.

You probably have a direct out on the Cyber Twin too that you can use for recording. That would allow some amp emulations etc. Otherwise just run your bass direct into your recording rig and hit 'record.'

Faithfender
April 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks wingsdad and Spudman,

That's what I thought too. I'll just make sure I don't crank it especially since it's a 5-string with the low B. And I do use the line out to go into the computer. Though I agree with the principal of laying a clean track and adding effects later in general, often the effects I get out of the cybertwin are better. But then you've got to know ahead of time what you like because you can only add effects not subtract the setting on your amp post production. Okay.. thanks I can save a few dollars which can be used more productively elsewhere.

Until later,
Faithfender

marnold
April 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with what has been said, although as a bassist of very little repute, I've always thought that the best thing about playing bass is being able to feel it as you play. If you do decide to get an amp, look into the Acoustic line. I got the B20 for about $120 and it sounds awesome.

djmcconnell
April 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I've wondered the same thing.

Would my acoustic amp be better suited for the bass since I think I've read that bass amps are more PA-like than electric guitar amps. True?

marnold
April 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I've wondered the same thing.

Would my acoustic amp be better suited for the bass since I think I've read that bass amps are more PA-like than electric guitar amps. True?
Just so you know, by "Acoustic" I meant the brand, not an amp designed for amplifying acoustic guitars.

djmcconnell
April 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I actually meant my acoustic guitar amp (an Ultrasound DS4).

marnold
April 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I actually meant my acoustic guitar amp (an Ultrasound DS4).
Right. I just wanted to make sure we weren't talking past each other. I don't know how using an amp designed for acoustic guitars would work with a bass. I wouldn't want to risk it, myself, but I may be overly cautious.