PDA

View Full Version : Question- using backing tracks

oldguy
July 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I see some links to sites here that have free backing tracks. This looks like a great way to practice, but I have a question. Is it OK to play along to a backing track of a particular song, record it, and post it here if it's not one of Robert's (or one of our own)? Example.. the bass, drum and keyboard backing track to "Stormy Monday". Thanks for the help.
Glenn

Robert
July 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Well...copyright issues can be difficult. Let me get back to you in a little bit on this question.

oldguy
July 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Robert.
I noticed after I had downloaded some tracks that when you point the mouse cursor at the track icon, without clicking it, some will show the artist, year, album track number, etc., and some won't. Others will show all the above as "backing track" and/or "none". Still others are "home-made" but follow the song quite faithfully with the exception of no guitar on the song, of course. And all say "no" beside the "protected" line. I didn't mean to open a can of worms here, I just didn't want to post something you would have to turn around and delete. Too big of a waste of time, and at MY age time can't be wasted . Heck, I don't even buy green bananas!:)
Glenn

Robert
July 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I think that it would be OK to use a backing track if it were for illustrative/educational purposes and not for commercial purposes.

oldguy
July 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks, Robert!
Illustrative and educational it is! (and shall be).
Commercial? No way! I'd probably have to pay most people to listen to ME play anyhow!:p
Seriously, I just want to help those with less experience than myself and learn from those with more. Share and care.
Peace and good luck.
Glenn