PDA

View Full Version : Birth of a band

helliott
April 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
We've been working for nearly a year now on getting a new band together. Had lots of promise, but personnel changes kept it from happening. In the last three months, found a lineup that works, and we hit practice hard. Named ourselves The Hammer Daddies, in part a tribute to our city, which is affectionately called The Hammer. Blues rock, classic rock mix, with a tilt on the blues side (Tinsley Ellis, Otis Rush, Fab T-birds, Dr. Wu, plus classic rockers like Slow Ride, Green River and American Woman.)
So, got our first gig, set up and fired it up. Our first song in front of an already full house (albeit a small club) is a JJ Cale take on Call Me The Breeze. We vamp into it on a funky E7, and stick for a bit to ensure the groove is there. It is. Our singer starts the vocal, and he's there in the first line, then gone. The PA power amp is crapping in and out. We fake it through, and try one more song before taking an unscheduled and apologetic break to fix the problem. Our base player has a concert style rig, so he got the brilliant idea of using the bass head for the PA, running vocals through that, and bass too. We could do the show, the but powerful base lines were no longer on the stage, but through the elevated PA speakers. Worked OK, but the rhythm vibe between bass and drums was missing, which made it tougher than it would have been otherwise.
Got it together, got very solid anecdotal reviews, and got through that rocky first night, and we're now focusing on doing some demos for club recruitment gigs.
There's nothing like a real band working as a real team -- that's what got me into this thing to begin with 40 years ago. Well, that and girls.
Pix of the first show at www.hammerdaddies.com/index.php (our home page, my tubby self on the right). I'm the one with the tangerine Strat. Pix of the gig (me at left) at www.hammerdaddies.com/pictures.php

thearabianmage
April 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Good times, congrats on the gig!

Spudman
April 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
All right. Time to rock and roll. I hope all goes smoothly from here out. Thanks for letting us know about your new project.

Suhnton
April 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Nice looking guitar.
Your drummer looks like he should be on The Sopranos:)

Lev
April 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM
well done for continuing on after your PA failing. That really is a nighmare start - pics & website look great.

Plank_Spanker
April 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Excellent! :AOK:

Nothing like a baptism of fire with a flaky PA on your first gig............:dude:

Go get 'em, helliot!

Brian Krashpad
April 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Congrats! Nice pics. Playing live is where it's at.

helliott
April 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Well, two steps forward, one back. Our rhythm player/second vocalist told us this week his life's too hectic with other commitments so he has to let this one go. Very, very heavy sigh.
We've got a party gig lined up for early May so will do it as a trio and see how that goes. I have limited experience with trio work, so it'll be interesting, and busy as heck, I imagine.
We're bowed but not broken and have started to look again, hoping this time for a keyboard player who sings some, but no response so far. They seem pretty rare.
This poor band just gets a leg up and then gets knocked back. Maybe it'll make our blues playing more sincere?
(Anyone have tips on trio traits that might prove helpful?)

Spudman
April 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I totally hear you. Just when you think it's going to be smooth sailing *wham* something screws up.

I thought I'd found a bass player finally. Turns out he's as big a flake as all the others so far.

At least you can work with the crew you have. I'm sure another player will come along. Have you tried Craig's list in your area?

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry it has been challenging and that you took a step back Helliot. I have had trouble putting together even a regular jam that I can count on. People (especially Dad age players) have lots of obligations, and it is hard for people to really commit. I hope it works out for you. I am going to keep working on finding a jam over here.

ZMAN
April 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I was just in the "Hammer" today. I was working on a reno on my Dad's house.
I grew up there and moved down the QEW to St. Kitts. I worked at our beloved Stelco for 30 years and luckily retired well before the US Steel fiasco.
My nephew played a lot of the local bar scene. He was the lead guitarist in the "Feels". Now he works for Hyrdro one as a Nuclear reactor operator. Scary eh!
Let us know when you are having a gig next time and if I am in town I will head on down. I will be there three times a week for the forseable future.

Plank_Spanker
April 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Trio work should bring out the "A Plus" game in your playing.....:D

We just fired our bass player, but I'll start a thread in the bands forum.