PDA

View Full Version : Advice about a new club amp

helliott
April 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Thinking of getting a new amp for small clubs. Have several good single speaker amps, but gassing for a new twin 12 amp, maybe, maybe Peavy Valve King or the U.S. made equivalent. What do folks think about the benefits, drawbacks of a two-speaker rig?

Spudman
April 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I used to use 2x12 combo amps for many years. They were fine but I never really ever got to turn them up. Now with lower wattage 1x12 combos I can get them into the breakup zone without the whole world telling me to turn down.

Oh, the 2x12s were heavier and more costly to retube. Maybe a new head and a 2x12 cabinet might be worth thinking about. If you needed to you could always us a 1x12 cab in certain situations. That way you'd be a little more versatile and adaptive.

mrmudcat
April 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I have a legend combo with two vintage g12- 65 celestions and original tubes !!!

I love that baby and it will die with me!!!!(bangin for a hybrid) OH YEA IT IS LOUD,THINKS ITS A MARSHALL;)

helliott
April 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
hmmm. Interesting point about the volume question. Already have trouble keeping it down with other amps. Hoping for a bigger sound, not louder.

Gutmann
April 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Especially for club gigs i'd prefer a smaller amp then 2x12. What kind of music do you play? Do you need a pedal-friendly amp?

I heard a lot of bad things about the valveking and so far I would not recommend it. But I never heard this one...

helliott
April 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Blues rock, some classic. Lots of soloing. Often use a Vox Tonelab, but regardless do need a pedal-friendly amph. I love the sound of my 30-watt with single 10, and my 50-watt Mesa with 15". But I'd like something with the option for a broader sound.

sunvalleylaw
April 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Well, not that I have a bunch of club experience, but I will give my stock answer anyway: Peavey Classic 30 1x12. Not fancy or flashy, not a big name, but sounds good, takes pedals well, gets plenty loud, and covers the stuff you are talking about very nicely I think. I have never had to try to make a living with it, but I think Spud has commented elsewhere that there are a lot of working musicians out there making money using that amph.

oldguy
April 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I'd second Spud's recommendation for a head w/ a cab. It's more versatile depending on the size of the venue you're playing.
Maybe Vood will chime in.......he seems to really like his Egnater Rebel.....and a 20-30watt amph can sound great w/ the right cab, I've seen guys run 2 1x12 cabs spread out across the stage that had a really full sound.

just strum
April 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'll add my vote with SVL and OG for the Peavey Classic 30 1x12. No personal experience, but I've only read good things about it here and on other forums. I would probably have one if it wasn't for the fact that I play in a 10x11 foot room.

oldguy
April 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Oh, yeah............the Peavey Classic 30 is a good choice also.........from what I hear.

just strum
April 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Oh, yeah............the Peavey Classic 30 is a good choice also.........from what I hear.

oopps, I thought you referred to SVL post - been a long day at the office.

sunvalleylaw
April 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
LOL, I would hesitate to even state an opinion based on my experience level, but I feel comfortable with suggesting someone check this one out, based on the experiences of working musicians I know, and how much fun I have with the darn thing. I also still think it did better (for my tastes) than a Blues Jr. I was playing my C-30 next to in a club like situation. Another friend/working musician plays through a C-50 2x12 and sounds great, (not so much different than the C-30, just bigger and louder), but then you get into the size/weight/volume issues noted above. I think the C-30 is more versatile and can handle clubs.

oldguy
April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Just another thought, helliott, but M29's got his GDS 18w for sale.........you could build a head cab for it, I know you could. They're pretty awesome sounding amphs, pedal friendly, and most likely would do everything you want, and more. Head/cab amphs are less likely to rattle the tubes due to the isolation factor as well.
You might want to check it out.........

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11205

TS808
April 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If you're considering a 212 but like the portability of a 1x12, and everyone is suggesting a Classic 30...then the best compromise is a Peavey Delta Blues 210. :D

Seriously, I think either the Delta Blues 210 or 115 will give bigger sound than a 112, plus they are pretty light weight, use the same circuitry as the Classic 30 but with tremolo.

The Delta Blues 210 is perhaps my favorite amp that I have ever owned. Peavey really nailed it with the Classic series amps.

Gutmann
April 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Yeees, a 2*10 probably is the right thing for you - try to play a Fender Prosonic combo, those things are pretty cheap in the US (compared to Europe). Channel 1 is a perfect classic fender with all the chime, works good with pedals and has a high gain channel which can be beyond good and evil.

Check out Ascension's (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7305&page=2&highlight=prosonic) thread about the prosonic, you find some samples there - HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5066&highlight=prosonic) is more.

Greetings Uli

Kazz
April 21st, 2009, 04:08 AM
If you begin to lean the Classic 30 direction...I have one I will let go very reasonably....love the amp, just a little too loud for the house.

markb
April 21st, 2009, 04:50 AM
The Fender Vibrolux is the perfect club amp - Johnny Dowd

I have to agree with the dark lord of Ithaca here, 2 x 10" speakers, 35 watts and if you use an A/B box on your board you can get a bright, reverby clean sound on the "vibrato" channel and a darker OD tone (via a pedal) on the "normal" channel. Or, even better, get the Marshall tone stack mod done on the "normal" channel and leave the pedal at home. The third option is just to turn it up and enjoy that wonderful compression as its slightly weak power supply just folds up into glorious tube drive. Think Deluxe Reverb but with more spread. Man, I wish I still had that amp.

bigG
April 21st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Well, not that I have a bunch of club experience, but I will give my stock answer anyway: Peavey Classic 30 1x12. Not fancy or flashy, not a big name, but sounds good, takes pedals well, gets plenty loud, and covers the stuff you are talking about very nicely I think. I have never had to try to make a living with it, but I think Spud has commented elsewhere that there are a lot of working musicians out there making money using that amph.

I agree w sun, Peavey Classic 30 might be perfect. 2x12s aren't really fuller sounding, just louder -they move more air. The Classic 30 is fairly light in weight, and less tubes to replace, and gets plenty LOUD! Takes pedals well.

schenkadere
April 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM
Don't know if you're stuck on tubes, but the Tech 21 Trademark 2X12 is a great gigging amp...2 12's and still only 42lbs. Extremely versatile...great tone...best solid state amps around.

Also have a 4X10 at 46lbs.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark60.html

bigG
April 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Don't know if you're stuck on tubes, but the Tech 21 Trademark 2X12 is a great gigging amp...2 12's and still only 42lbs. Extremely versatile...great tone...best solid state amps around.

Also have a 4X10 at 46lbs.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark60.html

Yeah, if you're not a tube freak, I'd suggest the SS Peavey Bandit 112 - one hell of a nice amp! I have a Bandit 65 from 1983, and still looks and sounds like the day I bought it. And Peavey has improved the Bandit over time.

Spudman
April 21st, 2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, if you're not a tube freak, I'd suggest the SS Peavey Bandit 112 - one hell of a nice amp! I have a Bandit 65 from 1983, and still looks and sounds like the day I bought it. And Peavey has improved the Bandit over time.

These are good. Worth looking at for sure.

bigG
April 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
And, duhhhh, it's right in front of my face! I'm a Vox lover since 1964. The Vox AC15CC1 is a 15w tube amp w verb, trem and Top Boost and 1x12 Wharfdale. Is plenty loud enough for small clubs, doesn't get terribly dirty, but love pedals! For $600, this is the one I'd use if still gigging. There is nothing like the sound of a Vox!

birv2
April 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
One vote here for the Pro Junior. It's a 110, 2 knobs (tone and volume), and I've found it perfect for blues jams in small clubs, which is all I do.

I had it halfway up last week at the jam and was asked to turn down, so it's a loud little sucker. Also, very light. A great grab n go amp.

Bob

Cabbitt
May 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Another vote for the Classic 30. I play an Alvarez AF90SCK and an Ibanez AF73 through it, and it handles everything from clean acoustic tones through distorted electric, without a pedal.
If you pair it with another 1/12 cabinet, it really sings!

Cabbitt

Algonquin
May 31st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Lot's of folks recommending the PV Classic 30, but I see from Helliot's gear list that he has a Peavey Jack Daniels which I believe is a special edition of the PV Classic 30.

I've seen this Cab maker advertise in my locals a few times Helliot. He's up in Durham just north of Mt Forest. He builds a 1x12 cab that's sized perfect for the Peavey to sit on top of. Many 1x12's out there are smaller dimensions that wouldn't be suitable if you wanted to stack.

http://shop.ebay.ca/merchant/saxon-cabs
http://www.saxon-cabs.ca/

I haven't seen or heard these cabs first hand, but his site looks interesting and appears to do some decent work.
Cheers :beer:
David