PDA

View Full Version : The Atomic Punk

Nelskie
July 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Well, I figgered' that post #700 should have some substance to it. As such, I though I would reflect on something that has been stuck in my craw for quite some time. And that topic is, quite simply, the needless lambasting of Eddie Van Halen.

Following VH's less-than-monumental summer tour two years ago, every guitar critic on the planet has felt a need to cast their stone at perhaps the greatest guitar virtuoso of the past (30) years. And we're not talking your average speed-burner or techical wizard. If it were art, we would be comparing it to a Renoir, Picasso, or Michelangelo. In the realm of rock guitar, Eddie Van Halen perhaps has only one "peer" - that being Jimi Hendrix. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Certainly, a case could be made for some of the ego-associated behavior, one which many critics point out as the critical link that stands between the original VH line-up re-uniting. But one should not forget the other healthy ego in that equation - that being the colossal-sized persona of lead singer David Lee Roth. Although Eddie did achieve some great things with his music in the context of Van Halen, we should realize that he is first, and foremost, a guitar player by trade. His musicianship and skills at that level are certainly far beyond anything that the other band members could, or ever hope to provide him with. I mean really - isn't that the truth? When you are that good, it sometimes is hard to keep yourself interested. To coin a phrase - raising the bar . . . when you ARE the bar.

As for EVH's technique, there are few written descriptions that I could even hope to summon that would accurately describe it. Two words do, however, come to mind: jaw-dropping. So far and beyond anything that had come before, or after, that you're totally dumbfounded. Entranced. Stupified. And skills? All honed to such razor-sharp perfection - - stylish, savvy, and sexy all rolled into one. A babe so hot that you'd just break down and cry at the mere sight of her magnificent curves. These are the things I think about when I cue up any one of Van Halen's bevy of awesome CD's. Not only am I inspired by Eddie as a guitarist, but awestruck by the magnificence of his gift of music. Yes, it is only too often that we as fans can feel like we are justified in asking for more - and fail to absorb the beauty that already is. Van Halen certainly has a very substantial body of work, and I count myself among the many whose daily playlist always (and I DO mean always) includes something from the band. Sam-era included, cuz' there's a ton of great stuff there, too.

I recently came upon a website that had posted a rather unflattering recent photo of Eddie. To take matters further, they even went as far as transposing his head onto some sort of weird creature. Yes, the most masterful of six-string slingers now reduced to mockery. Would I be so far out of line as to say that this would never happen to a bad photo of SRV and Hendrix? Probably. Today's music fans are sickeningly fickle, which I'd suppose is the by-product of too much of that "flavor of the month" mentality, not to mention the cesspool of genre-formatted radio. Yeah Mr. DJ, right on with that new Nickelback CD!!! (*insert vomiting sounds here*)

And so, when I see all of the negative press, unflattering photos, character-bashing jabs, and whatever else, I think to myself - "what HASN'T Eddie done with a guitar isn't now widely copied?" Home-built guitars (he started that craze); tone ("Brown Sound" - it never existed before EVH); style (pretty much everything); panache' (remember the days when guitar players were ALSO showmen?); and then . . . THE SONGS! Damn! Some of that stuff is so outer-worldly heavy and cool, that it completely defies description. Let me see (and this is a very short list) - - Runnin' With The Devil; Jamie's Cryin'; Somebody Get Me A Doctor; Take Your Whiskey Home; Spanish Fly; Panama; I'll Wait; Right Now; Best of Both Worlds; Poundcake; Runaround; etc., etc., etc. Get the picture?

Van Halen were also one of the forerunners of the palatable, melodic hard rock mojo, and few bands did it better than they did. Toss in a healthy dose of Jack Daniels, throngs of scantily clad co-eds all willing in the art of public expose', an outrageous stage show, super-sonic level sound, and wrap it in a bright candy-coated shell, and there ya' have it - arena rock par excellance'. Face it, VH, in their prime, was untouchable. In the annals of hard rock, you have to consider their schtick right up there with the best - Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones, KISS, Motley Crue - all legendary bands with a keen eye for stage production.

So when we really get down to it, there is very little that Eddie, as musician, or band member, hasn't been on the cutting edge of. And we're not talking a flash in the pan here, either. Pretty much for the full duration. Van Halen broke in late '76, and I personally can't recall a time period up until the last few years (probably post "Balance") that VH wasn't one of the biggest shows out on the road. When things hit a lean period - like now - all we hear is that he's a raging egomaniac. Such a travesty.

Thankfully, the VH catalog still endures as a lofty benchmark for up-and-coming bands, not to mention a great reminder of all the wonderful things rock music can be. On a recent road-trip home, I listened to VH II front to back, and it totally brought me back in time to when that album first came out (which was several years before I even picked up the guitar). I remembered both of the times I saw the band live in Bismarck, ND, (with DLR no less!), and all of the fun I'd had with VH music providing the soundtrack. Amidst all of those great memories, I can still visualize that big, toothy, trademark EVH smile, and those lightning-fast fingers dancing effortlessly along that fretboard. Indeed, a man who loves his job. And then - the songs . . . yeah!

The world of electric guitar has changed a lot over the past half century. Through this time, only a handful of players can stake their claim as the greatest ever. Eddie Van Halen's legacy rests firmly atop this hallowed pantheon of guitarists. It is a legacy that should be respected, and revered.

And so, I tip my hat to the one, the only, the original . . . the Atomic Punk. ;)

oldguy
July 30th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Nelskie,
Good post! When I first heard EVH, I was amazed. His tone,technique, the songs, (melodic comes to mind), were simply amaziing. Of course, everyone has their own idea of what sounds "good". Some prefer jazz/fusion, some like blues, power chords, etc. (what's up with rap/hip-hop?).:confused:
Eddie put it all together and did it well. No-one I had ever heard before had such taste, tone, and showmanship. One other thing. He had FUN! You could tell he was having a ball playing. I try to have fun every time I play. Even if I suck, I play as hard as I can and enjoy myself. Eddie obviously did his homework and put in the time to refine his skills to a level above any players out there at the time. Most people will never have the natural ability to reach the level he achieved. Does that mean give up? No, it means play yer *** off every chance you have. Let me ask a question. How many players have you heard who are so fast you can hardly seperate the notes they play? They are techniquely so adept it's unreal, yet how many do you hear who play something that is PLEASING TO YOUR EAR? That's what Eddie's done, in spades, for me at least. There are some things Joe Satriani does that are as good, in my opinion, but Eddie was there long before. He set the bar HIGH, and one more question, as far as the critics who won't get off his A$...
If any one of us had his ability, put in the countless hours to play that well, had searched and perfected our own idea of "that holy grail of tone", written songs of that caliber, and set the world on it ear, musically, as it were...do you think our ego might be a little on the "large" side?:cool: Just wondering.
Glenn

Mark
July 30th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I agree with you on EVH his skill and influence, one of the masters. Although from what I have seen of Dave Lee Roth I dont think an original lineup reunion would be good, I dont think he DLR could pull it off vocally. Some things would be better left as great memories! People mocking him on the net well I have a pet peeve there. Goin to the various music sites I see supposed know it alls lambasting some of the greats, EC EVH SRV BG BB and so on. These are just losers who are lucky if they play to drunks at the local do drop in, in they can play at all. Plus they are totally ignorant of the roots of rock music.

Quote:Today's music fans are sickeningly fickle

Exactly PLUS I believe they are ignorant. If your were fed Alpo from an early age then at 18 someone tries to give ya a nice juicey Rib-eye you probably wouldnt know what to do with it. The industry has been foisting garbage on the public for years theres stuff out there that is not even music being sold like hotcakes. They got em trained to eat Alpo, if ya put steak and lobster out they wouldnt have a clue, sad but true.

oldguy
July 30th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Mark, you are so right. Many of the players I grew up on were "tasty licks" guys. Today, get a loop track, repeat, repeat, repeat, throw in a 30 second, 1000mph lead and you have something that sounds like the old fax machine.........bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr. WoW!
No Thanks.:(
Glenn

t_ross33
July 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't put much stock in the critics, EVH will stand the test of time and axe slingers will be copping his licks long after the current flavoid-of-the-month is gone and forgotten.

I've always been turned off by the apparent ego, though. Being good (great) and knowing it is one thing, but I don't think any amount of dues-paying or innovation gives someone the right to run other people down or belittle them as I've seen Eddie do in more than one interview. Maybe it's editted to appear that way, but arrogance doesn't sit well with me (as I stand here on my all-high-and-mighty soapbox :D )

Still, EVH defines rock guitar for a generation.

Now, off I go to write a tribute to the man who's done more for the train whistle than anyone else in the last 50 yrs, BOXCAR WILLIE! :DR :D

marnold
July 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM
I don't know if the word "virtuoso" is one that I would use for EVH any more than I would use it for Hendrix. Maybe it's because the word to me conjures an image of someone who is technically brilliant and has mastered every aspect of the instrument. In that context, I have issues considering any rock guitarist a virtuoso. That's probably more a problem with my mental definition of the word than anything else.

Having said that, I would put EVH right up there with Hendrix as the most influential rock guitarists of all time. There aren't many guitarists who "changed everything." Those two did. Hendrix blew up everything that anybody thought about what rock guitar is. In that respect, he is still without peer to this very day. EVH came along at a time when disco and punk had almost destroyed the art of the guitar solo. When their eponymous album came out, everything changed. The reason why any rock guitarist taps is ultimately because of EVH.

Having said that, there isn't much of latter-day Van Halen (post-5150) that I really enjoy. They have so many songs like "Humans Being" that have a great verse, but then the chorus goes all pop and I have to barf.

I really wanted to see them on that tour, but the tickets were almost $100. The Resch Center in Green Bay was nowhere near sold out. From what I heard from those who went to the concert, it left a lot to be desired. It's probably just as well that I didn't go. I'll choose to remember their headlining show on the Monsters of Rock tour after 5150. They just ripped the Silverdome up. Good times.

t_ross33
July 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Today's music fans are sickeningly fickle, which I'd suppose is the by-product of too much of that "flavor of the month" mentality, not to mention the cesspool of genre-formatted radio.

Mass media/consumerism/consumption has done a lot to dilute art of any format or medium to a watery, bland, often tasteless swill. Yet technology has made available, for those with the intelligence or desire to seek it out, a plethora of artists that you would never have seen, heard of or had access to, regardless of radio formatting, MTV etc.

Internet radio, indie artist sites, ethnic/world music and art, great discussion forums (like this one :D) all stream into my home on a thin strand of fibre optic cable and, hopefully, enrich the lives of me and my family. We, as consumers, need to be more vocal in what we want to hear/see and not be compliant, spoon-fed zombies letting some corporate suit with "market research" tell us what is cool at this particular moment in time.

STAND UP AND BE COUNTED! KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD! :R

Trev *stepping down from my soap-box*

SuperSwede
July 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
fantastic post Nelskie (as usual).
EVH was the inventor of many things we know consider essential in rock guitar music. Perhaps as much as Jimi.
What the music industry needs today is a new EVH/JIMI/SRV that could re-innovate guitar based music and pour some fresh vitamins in the not-so-interesting music cultuture of today. Most music you hear on the radio today is produced by big music corporations with no intentions to produce original content. Everything is about producing that killer hit with some good looking girl/guy and then flush them out when the interest in them fades, so they can do the same over and over again. New garagebands (or original artists that started out with nothing but a bunch of great ideas) are almost non-existant in todays music, and there is not much signs of a change coming soon. More and more of the older generation of original musicians are leaving us and there is not many to fill the void (perhaps not much market for them either). Its sad and I hope that we will see a change in the future, and a broader demand for more original music not spawned in a high end sony/warner/whatever studio somewhere.

Erhmm.. I got a little off topic, but thanks Nelskie for reminding me of EVH... now where did I put that Van Halen II album? :D

tremoloman
July 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
The entire explosion of 80s shredders were the the direct result of EVH. Without him, we might have been stuck with heavy metal acts such as REO Speedwagon, Jethro Tull, and Asia!

Spudman
July 31st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Trem

That is pretty thin water you are treading on throwing Asia in there. That is Steve Howe you know. I'm sure there is a pretty strong agreement that Steve can more than hold his own. Just try playing his parts from Close To The Edge or Fragile. Not quite as easy as Running With The Devil or Eruption is it. Also listen to John Wetton in U.K.

I should remind all that there were still innovative great players in the 80's other than Eddie. Yes he resurrected rock guitar but he always sounded one dimensional to me, unlike Holdsworth, Hacket, and Howe and that is just the H's. Don't misunderstand me. I've got nothing against Eddie and do appreciate him and his gift a lot. Has anyone ever noticed that his solos are almost all the same?

Robert
August 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
I haven't listened to EVH in 20 years, but I liked the stuff he did back then.

Steve Howe is a monster player for sure.

tremoloman
August 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM
I'm not knocking Asia... I'm just poking fun at the soft rock artists that are listed under hard rock and even metal somtimes. I thought it was pretty funny - no ill intent was meant to Steve or the band in general. I guess I was caught up "In The Heat Of The Moment".

Nelskie
August 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
From Alpo to Fragile . . . I can definitely say that this post has generated some very intersting observations and commentary. Not that I'm surprised. We have a great cross-section of players here at FN.

I noticed that many of the posts took aim at the radio industry, and for good reason. They are indeed one of the sources of the today's mass-market music "problem", along with their good pals the recording industry. Is it any wonder that either one, or both, will soon be a gooey mess under their heavy shoe of cable / satellite radio? Personally speaking, I think that day is just around the corner. Maybe someone should start a new thread about that . . . ?

The "ego" issue also seems to evoke mixed responses. While it is always nice to hear / read about performers who are friendly, well-adjusted, down-to-earth folk, my guess is that that the majority are not - and for a variety of reasons. Fame and notariety have different ways of "coloring" one's view of the world - and quite honestly, it's a view that I think very few of us have experienced. Hard to say what exactly flips that switch.

Regardless of how one should choose to interpret EVH's contributions to guitar playing & technique, gear use / development, or Van Halen's status as one of rock's greatest acts, I think it would be safe to say that his arrival on the music scene has had a far-reaching effect. In a "revivalist" sense, it ushered in a totally new way of approaching the guitar - esp. from a player's standpoint. True - there have been loads of incredible players from all genres of music that have carried that torch for the last twenty or so years - and many more that have pushed the creative / technical envelope much further. However, there are few, if any, that have cast as large a shadow over the rock music / gear industry as EVH has. Yes indeed - the Colossus of Pasadena.

The one thing that always stuck with me about EVH as a guitar player was the energy of his music - energy which is not solely found in the deft, intricate tapping work of Eruption, or the searing intro to Panama. It's also very evident in the haunting echoes of Diver Down's Cathedral, or gristly bounce of Fair Warning's Push Comes To Shove. Exploring the VH catalog, one will find all kinds of these treasures studded amongst the surly, whiskey-soaked terrain of the band's mammoth arena anthems.

My early years as a player were spent in awe of players like EVH, and trying unsuccessfully to duplicate even the most marginal of his techniques. I might even go as far as to say that EVH's playing had the exact opposite effect on me, in that I soon began to steer clear of everything that was even remotely close to his style of playing, and focus on simplicity. Starkness. Bare minimum. Once I had my mitts wrapped around that idea, I also began to realize that those things - with tone . . . and feel - could cause tremendous upheavals of the earth. It's little wonder that I ended up at that little ol' shack outside of La Grange - cuz' there was a time that I was ready to throw in the towel, and focus on my sports card collecting hobby. :eek: *Whew* - - that was a close one!

So, as you see, my little two-part EVH story does have a happy ending. I'm still playing - a lot. I still find time to appreciate the fantastic rock player that EVH was, and undoubtedly, still is. And I can say with all honesty that the fervid blues / rock / alt. country player I've now become has few of those criss-crossed red, black, and white stripes mixed in with it.

As a player, there are many roads. Go your own way. ;)