PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic, Electric amp sound man...

M29
April 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hello,

I have been playing with the church group for a month or so now and the sound man wants to have everything come through the sound system with very little amp volume on stage. I have a heck of a time hearing my self but am fine with my valve junior on about 10 o-clock which is not very loud. He thinks it is too loud. Also, the church is going to get amps for the bass and guitar so we don't have to bring our own. They asked my opinion on what amp to get. I felt a Peavey Classic 30 or something like that would cover most any situation but who ever plays with this group usually has an acoustic. I use my semi hollowbody because my daughter is using my acoustic with the youth group. Sometimes I use a solid body.
I guess what my question is, is how do you cover an acoustic guitar and electric guitar with one style amp? Is there really that much difference? I imagine it is a frequency response issue with more high frequency's on an acoustic compared to an electric. Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

markb
April 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe an acoustic amp and a modeling box? A Sansamp will do the trick.
Alternatively, Roland JCs sound good with electrics and acoustics and have two separate channels.
A Classic 30 is going to be much louder than a VJ if you want to get any sort of decent tone out of it.

M29
April 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks markb. I just thought the classic 30 might be good in case the group leaves the church and plays out somewhere. Just trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks again I will look into your suggestions.

So acoustic amphs sound ok with electrics as well?

M29

markb
April 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks markb. I just thought the classic 30 might be good in case the group leaves the church and plays out somewhere. Just trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks again I will look into your suggestions.

So acoustic amphs sound ok with electrics as well?

M29

Not by themselves, use a modeling preamp for electric tones. An acoustic amp is just a mini PA, there's too wide a frequency range for good electric tones, the modeler simulates the limited bandwidth of a guitar amp.

M29
April 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I see. Thanks again markb:AOK:

M29

t_ross33
April 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Not by themselves, use a modeling preamp for electric tones. An acoustic amp is just a mini PA, there's too wide a frequency range for good electric tones, the modeler simulates the limited bandwidth of a guitar amp.

I played at a b'day party basement gig recently and took my acoustic amp (small, solid state 30W) because it's a bit smaller and easier to cart around than my Bandit 112. I played my Tele through a Digitech RP-80 pedal and it really sounded quite good :dude:

djmcconnell
April 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
One of our acoustic/electric switch hitters uses his acoustic amp and runs a modeling pedal board (something like the Line 6 Pod X3 Live) into it for his electric.

It sounds really nice and gives him a lot of flexibility.

M29
April 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys:AOK:

M

scottyscott66
April 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I use a Genz-Benz Shenendoah 100 for my acoustic work and run en electric though a zoom modeler and it sound pretty good.

M29
April 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the info scottyscott66. I am starting to zero in on this.

M29

Spudman
April 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
You should just tell the sound man to take some lessons. He doesn't get to dictate. His job is to enhance the sound of the group. Period.

I've run sound for some very big artists and NEVER did I tell them what to do (maybe a suggestion once or twice). The artist or group needs to be happy in their playing environment which means they need to hear themselves and each other first and foremost. Otherwise there is no chemistry to create music. Then his job is to augment that. If he can't figure that out have him call me. I'd be happy to explain it to him. You can in the meantime point your amp away from him so that you can hear it best. Don't point it straight out.

If the church is splurging for an elaborate mixing console for monitors and in ear monitors for all musicians then by all means go that way and he can have his wish. Otherwise tell him to quit yacking and get to mixing. After all, it's called 'mixing' not 'controlling.'

goonrick
April 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and I got a Roland Cube amp which allowed much nicer tones at low volume. Also, to get some stage volume, and since the cubes are closed-back, I turned the amp around and leaned it back against the base from a mic stand and used it as a monitor. That way I could get it pretty much as loud as I wanted and not have to butt heads with the sound man.