PDA

View Full Version : Hot Roddin My Strat

t_ross33
April 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Just placed an order with Guitar Fetish. Upgrading my MIM Strat with:

Lil Killer Modern 10K for the bridge. I like the Lil Puncher in my Tele and want to get a similar tone from the Strat (trying to cut down on the number of guitars I drag out to gigs ;) ). I'm also going to do the Jimmy Vaughan mod and change the tone pot from middle p'up to bridge. I don't think I'm going to coil tap it at this point.

Wilkinson Fender style tuners. I have one that needs replaced and these look kinda vintage-y.

The upgraded STEEL BLOCK trem.

Should see everything next week or so. I'll keep y'all posted :AOK:

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Cool hollar back before/during/afterthe hot rod mods:beer:

bigoldron
April 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Sounds cool Ross! Can't wait to see and hear the finished product!

t_ross33
April 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
This (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100132809) is kinda the inspiration for this mod

markb
April 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM
This (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100132809) is kinda the inspiration for this mod

And a fine inspiration it is too :bravo:

I used to have a Duncan JB Jr in the back position of a couple of strats. Played clean, it could get sort of teleish. Add dirt and it was a roaring overwound PAF. Cool pickup, I hope the GFS unit gets you something like it :AOK:

One tip, you might need a set of conversion bushings with those tuners to fit the 10mm holes on the MIM.

t_ross33
May 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
OK, parts from GFS arrived today and I have almost everything is done. Mark, you were right - I do need the 10mm conversion bushings. Thanks for the tip.

Lil Killer is installed and tone pot moved to the bridge position. So far I think I'm really going to like this mod. Roll off the volume and you have a very slightly thicker Strat bridge tone, crank er up and she really screams :rockon:

I'm not sure, but the box it came in said 6K, even tho I ordered the 10K version. I think I'm better off as it seems to play nice with the stock p'ups. The 2nd (or 4th, depending which way you count from) position, i.e. middle/bridge sounds a bit weird to my ears, but I probably won't use it much if ever... neck, neck/middle and bridge are fine by me.

Sorry, no pix. My camera is on the fritz. I'll post some clips and pics as soon as I'm able.