PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone AJ-500RE

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
The Epiphone AJ-500RE received a good review and Editor's pick in this month's GP mag. They run about $699 street price. As anyone that reads my posts about acoustics knows, I want a rosewood/spruce dread, and my benchmark has always been the Martin HD-28. Has anyone tried this guitar or have any info/knowledge/thoughts to share? I know it will not sound just like a Martin, but it looks like it might be a pretty nice rig in its own right. I have never seen one of these in a store.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=117

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I found this vid (of the AJ-500R), but it and a few like it on youtube are the only things I am finding with clips. Just curious if anyone has seen one.

Z7cb3ELxHng

street music
April 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Sun,
When I play my acoustic-electric Takamine through my Zoom pedal it can sound like Gibson, Martin 28 or D12 and many more. The effects are easy to change.

scottyscott66
April 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Sun,
The vid in this thread is mine. It is an AJ-500RE..Advanced Jumbo, Rosewood back and sides..not laminated, E for electric. I recorded the guitar unplugged, this has the LR Baggs pick up system in it. I have had many guitars in the past and this is by far my favorite acoustic. The sound is even across the board with a projection that you wouldnt believe. Very nice and responsive instrument. It sounds equally well plugged into my Genz-Benz Shenendoah 100. You can check out more of the guitar on youtube under scottyscott66..you cant go wrong with this guitar. I have heard some bad things about the shadow nano pick up on the new models though. Check out the Carvins..I bought my son a mohagony 750t and it really is a nice guitar with a very nice price tag to boot.

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks scottyscott for taking time to post. And welcome! I hope you find some things around here you like and stick around. I really liked your vid too. Nice demo and playing!

tjcurtin1
April 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Nice picking and nice sounding box there!

bigG
April 28th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Nice picking and nice sounding box there!

Agreed! Very nice:bravo:

markb
April 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Nice guitar but since your tastes are for prewar style 28 dreads, have a look at the Blueridge or Recording King rosewood boxes. Below is a spec comparison from the ever useful Maury's Music. Scroll down for the '28 and equivalent. You'll find some more details elsewhere on the site.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nice guitar but since your tastes are for prewar style 28 dreads, have a look at the Blueridge or Recording King rosewood boxes. Below is a spec comparison from the ever useful Maury's Music. Scroll down for the '28 and equivalent. You'll find some more details elsewhere on the site.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin

Those look interesting Mark. I will have to check some out if I can find one. They are in a decent price range when I get ready. Thanks for turning me on to them.

scottyscott66
April 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanx for good words guy's..the blueridge guitars are pretty nice..played a couple in the past, a little high on the action for my taste though..they do sound good. Check out Carvins line of acoustics, dont let the price fool you, very nice guitars with good craftsmanship. Action is beautiful right out of the case. The Epi's are a tricky bunch..dont buy one with out playing it first, no two sound or feel the same. I played dozens of guitars before I settled on the Masterbuilt..felt right and had the projection and tone I was looking for.

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Well I am looking again. No more pedals or other accessories, etc. for me until I save for an upgraded acoustic. I found some deals on used Martin D-16RGTs/DSRs/Custom D-15s. (all rosewood/spruce), but I was also directed by a local musician to Blueridge guitars again. The BR 160 A with an adirondack top looks nice. http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1530927/m/BR160AvsD-28marquis.wmv

I will have to save a while, and it sure would be nice to play the guitar I purchase in a store, A/B ing it with others, but it looks like I can get what I am after for under a grand, maybe well under.

Heywood Jablomie
October 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
As I've mentioned in other threads, check out Godin's acoustics - best bang for the buck out there, IMO. And not dipped in poly!