PDA

View Full Version : Introducing another old guy

Tomko
April 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
OLDGUY says us new members using the V5 modification thread should introduce ourselves so here goes. I'm new at this web stuff but been playing since I was 10 about 41 years now. I've got about 15 more guitars than I need but there are always others I want. It would be nice to have one of each. I got one vintage amp left, a BF Bandmaster that I cut my teeth on doing modifications by Weber and Torres, been hooked ever since. My favorite current amp is my Goodsell 17 MrkII head on top of a 1X12 Marshall style cab. I don't mess with amps for the fun of it. Only when they need it or have design flaws. Got a couple Music Mans, a Marshall 2X12, Working Dog, couple cabs, some other stuff most of which I need to get rid of. Guitars include Strat, Tele, LP, Epi Alley Cat (a sleeper), Hamer Special, two Carvins, my original 73 Mustang (why didn't I get that used 63 strat or 50s tele?) a couple acoustic guitars- Gibson Gospel. You know I just never wanted to shell out $3000 or more for one guitar. Probably should. I haven't played out in a while, health isn't that good. Blues/Rock is where I'm at- Clapton, Allmans, F. King all the good old stuff. Any good new music out there? I shouldn't say that I know there is a lot that I haven't mentioned. What else you want to know?:beer:

Robert
April 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome Tomko! How do you like the Working Dog amp? Which one is it?

Nice gear you've got. Thanks for the intro!

Where are you located?

just strum
April 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome.

Meds are distributed at 6:00 PM

Lights out at 10:00 PM

Wake up is at 6:30 AM (that is, if you wake up).

Rinse and repeat.

duhvoodooman
April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
OLDGUY says us new members using the V5 modification thread should introduce ourselves so here goes. I'm new at this web stuff but been playing since I was 10 about 41 years now. I've got about 15 more guitars than I need but there are always others I want. It would be nice to have one of each. I got one vintage amp left, a BF Bandmaster that I cut my teeth on doing modifications by Weber and Torres, been hooked ever since. My favorite current amp is my Goodsell 17 MrkII head on top of a 1X12 Marshall style cab. I don't mess with amps for the fun of it. Only when they need it or have design flaws. Got a couple Music Mans, a Marshall 2X12, Working Dog, couple cabs, some other stuff most of which I need to get rid of. Guitars include Strat, Tele, LP, Epi Alley Cat (a sleeper), Hamer Special, two Carvins, my original 73 Mustang (why didn't I get that used 63 strat or 50s tele?) a couple acoustic guitars- Gibson Gospel. You know I just never wanted to shell out $3000 or more for one guitar. Probably should. I haven't played out in a while, health isn't that good. Blues/Rock is where I'm at- Clapton, Allmans, F. King all the good old stuff. Any good new music out there? I shouldn't say that I know there is a lot that I haven't mentioned. What else you want to know?:beer:
Welcome to The Fret, Tomko. There are many of us older than you, so take heart from that!

If you're a blues/rock lover and are looking for new music, I have two words for you: Joe Bonamassa. :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Welcome Tomko! Thanks for the intro!

luvmyshiner
April 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome aboard Tomko!

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Welcome brother!!!

Tomko
April 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Nice to hear from you guys and gals(?). I'll be away for a couple weeks- going to do a little surgery and recovery. Probably needed after fighting that Crate V5 for...how long is it now? I can spend my recovery time beating it into submission until it sounds like it should.

Working dog is a Boxer(?) 1X12, (2)6V6 I've struggled to get it to sound right, to get some clean headroom really- the grease poors out of its joints. If you want more clean use a 12AT7 PI and 6V6G tubes. They're these really old huge 6V6s, have lots more headroom. Got mine from KCA NOS Tubes- Mikes a good guy. They aren't cheap....Change all the tubes really the Sovteks just don't cut it and the JJ on the reverb was first to go. Changed the speaker too. Now it sounds more Fenderish. I just keep trying until it makes me smile!:beer:

I forgot to say- the Working Dog can't compete with the Goodsell- another great guy!

oldguy
April 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome to TheFret!
Thanks for the introduction, quite good, btw.
I only asked 'cause we like to welcome new members, and we might miss you if you only post in one thread............looking forward to your ideas.

Jimi75
April 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
That was a nice intorduction. Welcome to the mob....eehhh,,,, The FRET :beer:

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Welcome, Tomco, you young whippersnapper! I'm a 58 y/o fretter. Been here for abt a week. Great place, nice folks! Good luck on that medical tune-up!:beer:

Blaze
April 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Welcome & Bienvennue TomKo , we re the same age , i don t feel too old for now..

You ll like this friendly forum , no big head here , that s a cool place..

:beer:

Blazes (http://www.bluetracks.ca/labels/blazes?label_renomme=blazes&label_renomme=blazes&screen_width=1280&change_lang=en) :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
April 23rd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Welcome Tomko.

Welcome.

Meds are distributed at 6:00 PM

Lights out at 10:00 PM

Wake up is at 6:30 AM (that is, if you wake up).

Rinse and repeat. How often are you repeating those meds Strum?

... 'splains a lot.

Brian Krashpad
April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Welcome Tomko! We're the same age and have a lot of the same guitars (LP, Tele, Hamer Special, Epi Alley Kat).

Your amps are a lot nicer than mine though, haha.

This is a cool place, you'll like it. Best wishes, mojo, and prayers for your surgery and recuperation.

just strum
April 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Welcome Tomko.

How often are you repeating those meds Strum?

... 'splains a lot.

taken as needed.

Tomko
May 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
...and fired up. This is a great site. Nice people with good attitudes- so far anyway. I'm glad I found it. The meds have all been taken and the V5 has been put in its place. Sounds pretty good. Has some sizzle when tailing off an A. Think it might be a tube. I was wondering what happened to the rest of that post. Anyone know? I had ask a question about the high B+ voltage and didn't get back until recently so I don't know where the answer may be, if there is one. My complements to the people who run this site. I'll be checking in every once in a while.:beer:

Brian Krashpad
May 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Glad you're back, hope the surgery and recuperation went/is going well.