PDA

View Full Version : Fret Hand Index Finger Disability

Viking Power
April 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hello Illustrious Fretternati,

I picked up the guitar again a few months ago and am struggling. I'm wondering, is it normal beginner struggling, or is it due to my disabled left index finger?

As a teenager, I broke my index finger badly in a fist fight. A Dr. set it with metal pins, but it just never held in order to heal properly. It now has limited range of motion in bending as well as straightening. It can be quite frustrating! Here are some photos:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/jason_hegel/IMG_0104.jpg

TOP VIEW

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/jason_hegel/IMG_0105.jpg

PRESSED AGAINST DESK TO STRAIGHTEN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/jason_hegel/IMG_0106.jpg

BENT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

So, basically, the finger has a ton of scar tissue built up around the middle joint.

Where I'm running into trouble (I think) is in positioning my fret hand to "jump to" chords as opposed to holding the chord finger by finger. I kind of use the fret board to stabilize/hold the finger in place at least to some extent. This is making chord transitions very difficult (again is this just normal beginner struggling?).

The idea of going lefty does not appeal to me all that much since it seems like it would be quite uncomfortable and a bit like taking 2 steps back in my limited ability on the axe.

I do know that Django and others managed to play despite their disabilities. Maybe I just need to keep working at it and not go lefty....I don't know.

Thoughts? Ideas?

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Keep at it righty and work through it.............your only disability is the mind telling ya to quit or you cant .........

My personal opinion and yes I do have my own demons to slay everyday:beer:

Rocket
April 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Like everyone else that plays with a disability, you will manage to make your own unique style out of it... everyone else will be jealous.
Stop pondering it and play!

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have a real problem when it comes to barring 3 strings w my ring finger. My knuckle nearest the fingernail was broken years ago and won't bend backwards. I just learned to play major barre chords using my pinky instead.

Although still limiting, I worked around it. Hopefully you can do the same.

Tony Iommi lopped off the tips of a couple of his right hand fingers (he's a lefty, of course). He had "artificial" fingertips made (and this was in the early days!)

Lev
April 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Kieth Richards actually has some of the wierdest shaped knuckles and fingers, I'm not sure whether he's aways been like that of it it's a result of playing so much guitar.

Anyway, it might be worth spending sometime in a guitar shop play with different types of guitar necks. There's a huge variety out there flat, curved, fat, thin, C- Shaped, D Shaped, V Shaped etc. etc.

It may be that your guitar is working against your disability, a different type of neck may be more comfortable for you and open up some new technique possibilities for you. Don't go giving up !!!!

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/Keith-Richards.jpg

Rocket
April 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Kieth Richards actually has some of the wierdest shaped knuckles and fingers, I'm not sure whether he's aways been like that of it it's a result of playing so much guitar.
Arthritis... specifically degenerative osteoarthritis.

I've been dealing with bouts & flare-ups of rheumatoid arthritis since I was 6-years old after a pretty severe case of childhood rheumatic fever where I spent 6 months in the hospital.
More recently, I've developed some degenerative osteoarthritis of my own.
Old-age... whatcha gonna do?

Kazz
April 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Stop pondering it and play!

Amen Brother!

Viking Power
April 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses thus far guys. They're much appreciated!:D

TS808
April 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
It's going to be a struggle if you're just starting until you get some strength in your hands and fingers. Just don't give up. Like others said, you'll be able to work the guitar with the disability.

There are those finger exercisers that alot of music stores sell that can help build up some strength and flexibility, but really, the best way to build up strength and flexibility is....keep playing guitar!!!

oldguy
April 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Just keep playing........you'll find ways around it if you try. You get older, things change, you adapt, you conquer.

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Like all the rest of the fellers said keep at it and I'll bet it will become a strength for you.I bought an amph off this guy before and he got his fingers caught in a sprocket of a motorcycle cut the ends off two,well he had the whole ends of those fingers,could fret two strings with the tip of them and no more finger nails to cut.Sumi:D

Viking Power
April 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Like all the rest of the fellers said keep at it and I'll bet it will become a strength for you.I bought an amph off this guy before and he got his fingers caught in a sprocket of a motorcycle cut the ends off two,well he had the whole ends of those fingers,could fret two strings with the tip of them and no more finger nails to cut.Sumi:D

Sounds like he was definitely making the best of his situation! Thanks for the story Sumitomo.:beer:

Viking Power
April 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Just keep playing........you'll find ways around it if you try. You get older, things change, you adapt, you conquer.

I like what you have to say Oldguy! Reminds me of my favorite quote of all time - "That which does not kill us makes us stronger!". Something I have always tried to live by, but sometimes as in this case with my finger, I get a little off track and allow discouragement to seep in. Thanks again!:)