PDA

View Full Version : What headstock shape/style do you prefer for tuning?

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
I just noticed tonight, I prefer to tune my Fender strat style with the tuners all lined up in a row. To me it is easier than having to reach around to the bottom of the headstock.

Which do you like better? Why?

markb
April 22nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
You forgot the don't care option. Really, I don't mind but I do prefer Kluson safetipost tuners when it comes to restringing.

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yah I guess that is an option. I guess state a preference if you have one, or I suppose "don't care" could be part of "other". Silly question I know, but what the hey. It is late over here.

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
I chose fender style but I agree with above post quality tuners is all I care about:bravo:

Floyds /kahler can be a pain:whatever:

Jimi75
April 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I have voted Fender style. I don't know about my Les Paul headstock, I always feel like I touch the neighbour tuner when tuning the high e or b string. Anyways, I can live with that type but I feel more comfortable with the 6 in a row style. What really kills my nerves is the upside down headstock of my Hendrix Strat...

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
Either is fine w me, as long as they stay in tune. Schaller, Gotoh, Grover are all fine, no matter which side of the headstock.

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I have voted Fender style. I don't know about my Les Paul headstock, I always feel like I touch the neighbour tuner when tuning the high e or b string. Anyways, I can live with that type but I feel more comfortable with the 6 in a row style.

Yeah, exactly. I do the same thing on my viking, and either get hung up on the other tuner, or if I am not careful even knock the one I just tuned out of whack.

Brian Krashpad
April 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Six-a-side are more convenient and may stay tuned a bit better, but it's no big whup to me. I have plenty of each kind.

marnold
April 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I can answer all three ways, basically:
My Fender has the standard Fender Strat headstock
My Spector bass has two-per-side
My Floyd has no machine heads at all!

My preference? Six in a row, reverse swept, on a pointy headstock. That has nothing to do with convenience and everything to do with aesthetics :)

mrmudcat
April 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
:rotflmao:

Nice I like the reasoning brother!!:master:

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Now then, how abt tuning, or, better yet, restringing my Ric 360 12 string!:thwap: Talk abt convoluted tuning pegs!

There's a major pain in the arse for ya!

Luckily, there's a GREAT guitar tech about 10 blocks away from me. If you buy the guitar from him, he'll restring it for free - just the price for a set of strings! If you didn't buy from him, it's $10 + strings.

I didn't buy the Ric from him, but I'll pony up the $10 for him to hassle w it next time:D

just strum
April 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Fender style totally for convenience.

msteeln
April 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Bigsby :master:

wingsdad
April 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I voted Fender style since my go-to electric 6'ers have been Teles or Strats. 3 + 3 heads have always been 2nd fiddles. But I don't have any 'problem' with them; all my acoustic guitars are 3 +3. Or 6+6...acoustic 12. Not on the list is the 'other' type of 3+3: a classical headstock, with the machines getting fed inside the head. A pain. I have 3 guitars with that, and avoid restringing until I have no choice. Then there's this:

...restringing my Ric 360 12 string!:thwap: Talk abt convoluted tuning pegs!

There's a major pain in the arse for ya! ...
:rotflmao: I couldn't agree more. Understanding the design was the 'genius' of F.C. Hall, so as to avoid the 'ugly' and 'head-heavy' conventional 12-string head, it's actuallly brilliant. it's a combination of classical and 'conventional' 3-a-side.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Rick%2012/IMG_0294c.jpg
Between navigating that jungle and the harp R-tailpiece, it takes me an hour or more to restring the thing correctly.

Brian Krashpad
April 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I couldn't agree more. Understanding the design was the 'genius' of F.C. Hall, so as to avoid the 'ugly' and 'head-heavy' conventional 12-string head, it's actuallly brilliant. it's a combination of classical and 'conventional' 3-a-side.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Rick%2012/IMG_0294c.jpg
Between navigating that jungle and the harp R-tailpiece, it takes me an hour or more to restring the thing correctly.

Man, this almost makes me glad I can't afford a Ric 12. I've been wrestling with this'un on and off all week, and almost have the hang of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/DR12Aheadstock.jpg

Having to deal with a harp and having half of them sideways, ugh!