PDA

View Full Version : Delay/Verb Pedal Recommendations Sought

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ahoy mates!

I'm lookin for the best delay and/or reverb pedal(s) I can get to put in front of my Swart Space Tone 6V6SE. I don't want the amp's tone and clarity to be changed in the least bit!

I checked analogman, but they're retooling their delay pedals, and none avail right now.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Rocket
April 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Best... best?

You're gonna get a bunch of different answers because "best" means something different to each individual, (actually, I've noticed that here, "best" will usually most equate to cheapest!)

Why don't you get to a guitar store and try a bunch out and just buy what YOU decide is "best" for you?

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Well, I agree that you should use your own ears, as I have never heard a Swart, but one you should check out is the MXR Carbon Copy analog. Good sounding delay at a fair price. Does a great slapback too.

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Best... best?

You're gonna get a bunch of different answers because "best" means something different to each individual, (actually, I've noticed that here, "best" will usually most equate to cheapest!)

Why don't you get to a guitar store and try a bunch out and just buy what YOU decide is "best" for you?

Thanks, Rocket. I know it's a subjective thing, but I'd like some input on what others think. Unfortunately, I live in a small town and the 2 music stores here only carry the "brand name" basic stuff. I visit them often...too often!:thwap: They both have ALOT of my money!

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I agree that you should use your own ears, as I have never heard a Swart, but one you should check out is the MXR Carbon Copy analog. Good sounding delay at a fair price. Does a great slapback too.

Thanks, sun. Ya, that's the kind of info I'm lookin for. Nobody locally carries MXR. Once I get somemore feedback, I'll try to get a personal listen to some that interest me (when I travel to the big city:) )

In fact, I'll call Michael Swart and see if he has any recommendations, but still, keep 'em comin!

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
The best player I know around here locally, who plays primarily clean tones, strat and tele, through a Carr Rambler, uses it for his slapback and verb type sounds (he uses another expensive, fancy digital for tap tempo stuff), and really likes it. He is a picky tone freak too. The MXR is about $150, so not dirt cheap, but I think it sounds good to my ears, I don't notice that it colors the tone of my C-30 that I can tell, and gets good reviews. If you search "delay" or look in the pedals forum, you will find a thread where I posted some good vids to look at.

EDIT: Here is the thread where I shopped for my delay and ended up getting the MXR. It has some good vids in it and some good advice from folks here I think. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9184&highlight=delay

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
+ on the MXR carbon copy,I use mine all the time but dont depend on batteries it loves 'em.Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
April 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
The new analog delay kit (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html) from BYOC is very cool. It offers up to a full second of delay and switchable short and long delay modes. And I can vouch that it has that nice, warm all-analog tone. I use mine all the time, generally in slapback mode. If you have some electronics experience & good soldering skills, you could build one yourself, though this is one of BYOC's most difficult kits--definitely not for beginners! Or I'd be happy to quote you a price to build one for you, either assembled & unfinished or fully painted & decaled.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7449a6a46b42f9b.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/AD/AD_gutshot.jpg

schenkadere
April 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Check out the Tech 21 Boost DLA and Boost RVB...they just came out with a DLA version that has tap tempo and more options.

The Digitech Hardwire stuff is nice too.

Depends if you're looking for analog or if you don't mind digital(I actually like digital).

The TRex Tonebug Reverb is nice and reasonable. Lee Jackson's Mr. Springgy is cool.

Depends how much versatility you need in a reverb and how much delay you need in a delay.

oldguy
April 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I like my Digitech Hardwire Reverb, the modulation setting's pretty cool too.
Doesn't change the tone of the Ceriatone at all, but everyone's opinion varies. Not the cheapest, but not boutique price.

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
You can stomp on this girl's tail and wet your sound! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMobCR5EE_I Sumi:D

Jimi75
April 24th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Well, it's hard to tell which is the best, but I could recommend some pedals that I think they are worth being checked out by you in shop:

Reverb:
1. T-Rex Engineering "Reverb Bug" (new small pedal)
2. Like Oldman said the Digitech "Hardwirde Reverb"
3. Electro Harmonix "Holy Grail" - great pedal, true bypass

Delay:
1. MXR "Carbon Copy" like SVL said. I love this pedal.
2. TC Electronics "Nova Delay"
3. Boss from "DD-3" on upwards. You also have a 40 second loop function in the DD-7, which is awesome when you practice licks and wann lay down a little BT.

Jimi75

markb
April 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
The Boss DD-7 also has a model of the now legendary DM-2 analogue delay for when you want that old school soupy tone.

Spudman
April 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'll confuse you even more by throwing out another pedal - the Ibanez DE7. Great sounding and less than $45 used.

http://control-sound.com/shop/images/DE7.jpg

bigG
April 25th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Alot of thank you's to all you guys! You all gave me some great alternatives. I've narrowed down to abt 5 that I'll be checking out.

Thanks again for your input and suggestions! Very much appreciated!:D

t_ross33
April 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm test driving a Line 6 DL4 - pretty cool, includes 14 sec loop sampler too. Not sure of retail, but one came in to my local music store "used" for under $250 Canadian. Tempted...

P.J.
May 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM
[QUOTE=schenkadere]Check out the Tech 21 Boost DLA and Boost RVB...they just came out with a DLA version that has tap tempo and more options.

I have the Boost DLA and like it a lot. Very versatile and does the lo-fi delay thing especially well. Sounds great clean or w/ some dirt.

=-) PJ

Gutmann
May 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I think one of the best available is the empress super delay

ryMMGoLw7Yk

This would be my next pedal, but I'm more than happy with the DL4.

ZMAN
May 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM
kVvVXgCGfcI&feature=related
I have this one and it has more effects than I would ever use. It is truely amazing.

schenkadere
May 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I like my Digitech Hardwire Reverb, the modulation setting's pretty cool too.
Doesn't change the tone of the Ceriatone at all, but everyone's opinion varies. Not the cheapest, but not boutique price.

I so wish I bought the Hardwire instead of the Boss RV-5. I found them very comparable tone-wise and I got the RV-5 for 20 bucks less new. It's fine...I only use a pinch of "room", but I'm still second guessing myself after months!:mad:

Blaze
May 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Echo Park

2M9rqAK3XAE

schenkadere
May 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Just got a Tech 21 Boost RVB today...holy S what a great pedal...so unlike the usual Boss/Digitech digital thing...has its own organic mojo.