PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus - do you have it?

Robert
April 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I do. It's from playing with loud drummers - standing too close to those darn cymbals.

What do you do about it? Not much that can be done, I guess. I try to remember to wear ear plugs on gigs, but last time I forgot and man that was the worst noise in my head ever, even weeks after the gig.

It's a little better today, but I fear next loud gig. :cry:

Blaze
April 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I do. It's from playing with loud drummers - standing too close to those darn cymbals.

What do you do about it? Not much that can be done, I guess. I try to remember to wear ear plugs on gigs, but last time I forgot and man that was the worst noise in my head ever, even weeks after the gig.

It's a little better today, but I fear next loud gig. :cry:

Carefull ,i have Tinitus in my left ear(it s always on ) by doin studio and playin with a loud drummer..Can not be cure , so you guys wear these ear plug..

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear that, Robert!

I don't have it, and I'm amazed! Still have golden ears after all that gigging, and concert going. I saw The Who three times in the late 60s - early 70s, and if that didn't ruin my ears, nothing will!:D Poor ol' Pete Townshend has it, though.

No cure that I'm aware of...

tot_Ou_tard
April 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Nope.

Spudman
April 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Yup. My left ear whines all day like a jet turbine. Cymbals and monitors got me.

thearabianmage
April 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I don't know actually - every now and again one of my ears will suddenly muffle and I'll hear a quietly high-pitched beep for anywhere from 2-10 seconds, then it goes away. It's been like that since about '05-'06, but the thing is - there's no pattern to it. Sometimes, I'll just be at home sittin' down watching TV - quietly - and it'll do it. . . Sometimes it's when I'm listening to music. . .

And sometimes, I'll go months without it happening.

Could that be tinnitus in its developmental stages?

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
The only time my hearing bothers me is when its real quiet,like in the desert or forest then the ringing hurts.So I just always stay around sound.I can just imange Pete Townshend hearing,when I saw them I used cig butts for hearing protection and my ears hurt for 3,4 days after.Sumi:D

Suhnton
April 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
The only time my hearing bothers me is when its real quiet,like in the desert or forest then the ringing hurts.So I just always stay around sound.I can just imange Pete Townshend hearing,when I saw them I used cig butts for hearing protection and my ears hurt for 3,4 days after.Sumi:D

Yeah, that toboacco's terrible stuff alright.

just strum
April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

There you go, blame it on the drummer.

oldguy
April 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, I have it. It gets worse as you age if you keep subjecting your ears to loud noises. When I was young (and less informed) I went to concerts, worked around heavy equipment, and went to the shooting range w/ loud guns. I also played guitar through amphs at loud volumes. And used chainsaws and other power tools without earplugs. Not smart. 30 yrs. later, I see the error of my ways....... Both my ears ring almost constantly, sometimes worse than others, but it's always there. Caffeine will make it worse, and I love my coffee in the morning. Some medical conditions can be the cause. That's kind of rare.
But loud noises are usually the cause, so protect your hearing!

markb
April 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
...,when I saw them I used cig butts for hearing protection and my ears hurt for 3,4 days after.Sumi:D

Maybe lighting them wasn't such a good idea?? :D

Jimi75
April 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hello Robert, sorry to hear that. I had some issues with ringing in my ear about 3 years ago. I usually protect my ears and wear hearing protection at rehearsals and concerts. What happened to me was that I get up one morning and had this beeping in my ear. It didn't go away so I went to the doctor who explained to me that a false tone like beeping usually is overheard by the brain after a couple of seconds. But sometimes the cortex of the brain safes this false tone. Another reason for a ringing in your ear could be bad blood circulation. To exclude the bad blood circualtion I took natural medication on lotus flower extract basis. Helped a little. Then I did infusions 4 or 6 times. My doctor said to me, it will go away, don't listen to it, give it no attention, my ear is medically 100% healthy, could be a mental thing, too. I took into consideration a white noise therapy, but then dropped the idea. I started not to concentrate on the noise anymore and it went away with the time. I think every human adult has "noises" in his ear, it's normal. Especially in stressful times, or when drinking to much caffein or alcohol the noise pops up, but I then suddenly ignore it. I suggest you let a doctor check your ears. It's important to know whether your have physical damage or not.

Good luck Robert!:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
April 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have some hearing loss, but not any ringing.

bigoldron
April 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Did you say something? I couldn't hear you for the ringing in my ears...

Yep, I've got it. A little hard of hearing also, mostly hereditary. My wife swears I'm just not listening, but usually I just can hear clearly, especially in a noisy environment.

ZMAN
April 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I have it also. Of course I am days away from 62 years, and I guess it goes with the territory. It affects me more in the hearing of people talking. Also if the volume is low ons the television I can't make out what they are saying.
I am going to schedule a hearing test for sure. My Dad has hearing aids and they are amazing. He has a remote control and he can control the volume, as well as different programs for various applications like listening to music or sitting in a restaurant trying to talk etc. I went with him when he got them and they are all computerized now and they can plug into them and adjust the settings on a computer.
I amd hearing "white sounds" all the time and some frequencies are completely inaudible. We have a state of the art stove and my wife can hear the timer when it goes off, when she is in the family room. I can't hear it when I am standing in the next room.
It is a cause for concern. I think it all started when I got my Marshall. LOL

markb
April 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Here's a quick and dirty diy hearing range test. I can't hear any of these above 12K. I'm blaming my laptop speakers for that :)

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

markb
April 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Here's a quick and dirty diy hearing range test. I can't hear any of these above 12K. I'm blaming my laptop speakers for that :)

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Of course if you play these on a loop you'll just think you've got tinitis ;)