PDA

View Full Version : Pickup configuration options with my Jazzmaster project

tremoloman
July 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone.

I’m having difficulty deciding how to wire my Jagmaster to Jazzmaster project. I’ve installed a Fender Strat neck, Schaller locking tuners (non-Fender), DiMarzio & Bill Lawrence humbuckers, and 500K pots. My plan is to use this guitar for my mostly 80s cover band hard rock tunes. By default, it’s configured to use neck, neck & bridge, and bridge only. Being the peculiar type as always, I’ve been mulling over wiring it differently. I’m trying to achieve maximum diversity, so which of the following do you feel would be the best setup?

Adding a single coil to form a H/S/H setup with a 5-way switch, splitting the humbuckers in the 2/4 positions.
Using the H/H configuration and adding a coil tap to change the phase of the pickups (a la Squier ’51)
Both of the above!
Leaving it stock I’m unfamiliar with the pros and cons of sophisticated wiring, but I love the added sounds my S1 equipped guitars offer and hope to do the same with this project as well.

Any light you can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your replies.

Best regards,
Trem

Tone2TheBone
July 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM
How about wiring them all in different combos like you've mentioned and telling us what you liked best? Or is that too generic? hahaha

Do both of the above.

tremoloman
July 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I bought the Stew-Mac video "Guitar Electronics & Hot Rod Techniques" that explains how to do all this stuff. I suppose I'd better watch it again a few more times. :P