PDA

View Full Version : Saw Buddy Guy Last Night

TS808
April 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
My wife and I attended the Buddy Guy concert in Greensburg, PA last night. At 75 years old, he hasn't lost a step. Great tone, energetic, and he is definitely the showman, entertainer, and sometimes comedian. This is the 2nd time I've seen him the first being in 1995.

Last time I saw Buddy, it was him, a guitarist, bassist, and drummer. This time he added a keyboard player, who was fabulous. His guitarist soloed for a good while too, and dare I say he was smoking??

If you've never seen Buddy Guy, it's a show that is well worth it. Great guitar playing, alot of fun, and a good laugh. We had balcony seats, and at one point, Buddy walked the entire theater with his guitar, and his roadie following holding a mic. Buddy even made it up to the balcony and jammed a good bit.

Some people get really frustrated at this, but it's part of the Buddy Guy show: He starts a song, gets you going, and mid way through just stops the song, and says "f*ck that sh*t" and launches into a new number.

He's also famous for being a little bit of a "show off" and wants to prove to the audience that he can play Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, and even jumped into a little bit of Marvin Gaye. He also makes it known that if it wasn't for guys like Muddy Waters, Albert King, and John Lee Hooker (he even covered Boom Boom Boom) that he wouldn't be there.

He still has the vocal cords, and the chops, and is amazing. Their show lasted about 90 minutes with no encore.

The guy is amazing, and is one of my guitar/blues heroes.

ZMAN
April 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Albert King was the guy that got me started playing guitar. I had fallen in love with the blues listening to my mothers albums of Sam Cook, Bill Dogget, and Ray Charles.
I made my biggest improvment in playing when I purchased a couple of Buddy's CDs and a Tab book for his album Slippin In. I learned every song in that book and I was away to the races.
I have never been to a concert and it alway seems that I am out of the country when he comes to Massey Hall. I am going to make a point of it.
I have seen BB Several times in the 70s and his last time on the Cross Roads DVD he was forgetting the words to one of his famous songs.
Buddy at 75 can't be far behind.

mrmudcat
April 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I have seen him a few times and of course we dig his music:master:

bigG
April 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Man, it's good to see Buddy Guy finally getting the big exposure he deserves after all those years! I often jam to the numerous CDs I have of his. Saw Albert King open for The Who at The Filmore East in the late 60s - blew me away! What a night that was!

I'm loving the blues resurgence of the last 10 years or so! Turning on alot of young players to the original masters of the art! Great stuff!:master: