PDA

View Full Version : Tuning up your bass?

Icedgreece
April 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I bought a Rickenbacker 4003s/5 when I was younger. I have forgotten the year.

I have never really even touched the rod, replaced anything in the bass, and kept the same strings on it. The strings are getting "our of shape", so I went and got a set of Ernie Ball Light gauged strings (40-105). I put them on, but the bass now sounds like it has been in a guitar shop untouched during winter. I like the sound, but the E tuner knob is really loose.

So to my question now, how do I tune up my bass guitar? With all my others, I took it in to my friend, who has worked on Guitars his entire life.

Thanks.

Spudman
April 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
If those are the open gear tuners I don't know how to tighten anything other than the shim nut that goes around the tuning shaft. Anybody else have an idea?

Icedgreece
April 26th, 2009, 01:29 AM
If those are the open gear tuners I don't know how to tighten anything other than the shim nut that goes around the tuning shaft. Anybody else have an idea?

Everything is fine there. The nut is tight.

If you want, I can make a video on how it sounds, so you know what it exactly sounds like and what the shaft does.

ibanezjunkie
April 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
which part of the machine head is loose? if its the turnkey part, then it can be fixed by tightening the screw that goes down the middle of it, if its the whole machinehead thats loose, there are a few screws that should hold it in place.

open up the mechanism casing and check it out.