PDA

View Full Version : Jazz History Podcasts for Free!

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
From Apple and iTunes, for free!

The Year Was 1959

"In his History of Jazz program, Dr. Gordon Vernick, Associate Professor of Music at Georgia State University looks at just one year in the rich history of this uniquely American musical genre. But Vernick sees 1959 as a “nexus point,” the year he “likes to think about as the most important year in jazz.” What occurred in 1959 to make it such a milestone for jazz music? Filed under: Education, iPod+iTunes."

The program is an 11 track podcast covering this part of jazz history, and cool jazz. I listened only to Dr. Vernick's intro so far, but it sounds quite interesting. Pretty cool for free! To find it you can go to the iTunes store and search "History of Jazz" and see the Georgia State U link under iTunes U, or click the announcement in the below link to Apple's "Hot News" page, it is currently the second entry down, and it will take you there. I hope someone enjoys it! Jazz on Sunday is a good thing.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

Robert
April 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Steve! :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
May 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I just have to point out what an amazing resource this iTunes U is. I just went and looked some more, and just in the music section there are a ton of free instructional downloads on a huge variety of topics including theory, history, technique and a bunch of stuff. Plus, there are many other types of free instructional/educational info on business, engineering, math, arts, languages, whatever. An amazing resource that you should check out!

msteeln
May 14th, 2009, 02:18 AM
...where are you guy's finding all this cool stuff? I can't find anything like you're describing.

Gil Janus
May 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
...where are you guy's finding all this cool stuff? I can't find anything like you're describing.
Start iTunes, click on iTunes Store

Then click on iTunes U - upper left column :thwap:

Then click on Fine Arts

Then select Music on the drop down menu that gets added to Fine Arts :AOK:

Lots of stuff to start you off there. Many links to let you see lots more.

Hope this helps.

Gil :cool:

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Gil! Yeah, that is right. You need to open iTunes and go through there to get to the stuff. You don't have to have an iPod to listen to it. You just need iTunes, either Apple or Windoze version, installed, and you can listen to it on your mac or pc. More convenient to have it on an iPod, but I bet you can't load iTunes stuff on a 3rd party MP3 player without some sort of work around.

R_of_G
May 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for pointing these out Steve. Looking forward to hearing them.:AOK:

msteeln
May 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Do I have to download iTunes for this process?
If so, I can't on the computer I'm at.

Certainly never found anything saying 'fine arts'.