PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Pappy, Maggie's new house

luvmyshiner
April 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Our new puppy Maggie has been staying outside while we're at work for a couple of weeks, so I started looking for a dog house for when it rains. I wasn't happy with what I was finding, so I emailed Pappy (our resident Beagle expert) and he told me to build one. He gave me appropriate dimensions, and a few suggestions, and I looked at few plans online, and here's what I came up with.

Believe me Pappy, I really tried not to overbuild this thing, but I'm not sure I succeeded. CB did manage to talk me out of the central heat and air, running water, and wall to wall carpet though.:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4260019.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4260022.jpg

Here's a shot of the foyer and the master bedroom. The little wall should serve to keep the rain out and let her stay warm.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4260021.jpg

And I included screened ventilation on the sides and in the back.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4260020.jpg

Major cudos to CB who talked the dude at Lowes into giving us an open bundle of shingles for eight bucks.

Total price, under $100 and two weekends of Shiner's time. Hopefully Maggie will like it.:beer:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4260023.jpg

oldguy
April 27th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Shiner, that looks great. IMO you're really lucky to have a friend like Pappy, and Maggie's lucky to have a "pappy" like you. The piano hinge on the roof's a nice touch and a good idea. Good job........ between this, the speaker cabs, and the firefly, it looks like you can build about anything you set your mind to.

(Y'know, a couple small pieces of wood and spring hinges, and Maggie could have a nice little swinging old timey saloon door on the front of that thing.:D )

street music
April 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Shiner, that pup is growing fast. Very nice condo, you should be a contractor.

piebaldpython
April 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Nice work Shiner. The ventilation is a nice touch. I'm envious. Just curious, is Maggie going to be outside all during the day in the summer? Do beagles do HEAT well? Our toy poodle wilts in the Philly heat and loves the air conditioning........which is nothing like Dallas HEAT. :D Just thinkin' that a brutally hot day with little or no air movement might be tough on the little lady. :poke:

Childbride
April 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
well, she has officially moved in to her digs and apparently approves...

========

when i left for work this am, it was overcast and drizzling. maggie hates to get wet.

by 9:15 am, the sky had taken on that eerie greenish tone that lets us all know down here we're in for one nasty thunderstorm. tornado watch in lampasas county southwest of us. [thunder rumbling as i type]

it POURED. thunder, lightning, winds... somewhere between an inch to two inches [and still raining.]

i took off early today with some stuff to do, and got home about 3:45...

she was snuggled up in her house 'in the bedroom'... i slid the panel on the doggie door, she heard, stuck her little head out to make sure it was really me,

then barreled into the house to tell me what a scary day she'd had. :)

Pie, she's out during the day and in when we are home. katie could go in and out as she pleased all day, but she was years past the puppy/chewing/destruction thing. mag's privileges will be extended as she gets a little older.

[she's currently in my lap :) ]

OG, batwings would be cool. ;)

just strum
April 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
That was very nice of Pappy.

However, are you sure that it's for Maggie, or could there be a message hidden here?

luvmyshiner
April 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words y'all.

OG, I'm planning on using the swinging doors idea when I add on the game room with a fully functional wet bar!:beer:

Yeah Pie, I'm a little worried about how she's gonna handle the summers. But CB wouldn't let me put in a/c.:cry:

Strummy, if I start spending too many nights out there, it's definitely gonna' need a bigger bed.

ted s
April 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
righteous dog house there Shiner ! nice job.

bigoldron
April 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Dang good carpenter work there Shiner! Really nice job! I'm sure Maggie couldn't help BUT like it! BTW, when's the hot tub going in?

luvmyshiner
April 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hey Ron, I was actually thinking about foregoing the hot tub and shooting straight for an olympic size pool.:D

bigoldron
April 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Ron, I was actually thinking about foregoing the hot tub and shooting straight for an olympic size pool.:D

Good, you and Maggie can do laps and race each other. :D If it's like my dog's house, I made it big enough for me to fit in. 'Specially since I stay in it all the time. :thwap:

BTW, do you know why all the dog houses in Baton Rouge are over 2 ft. wide? Because it's the only way "Phydeaux" (Fido) will fit... :rotflmao: