PDA

View Full Version : What a gig... and what a long day

Robert
April 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Started packing at 10 am, got the news we need rent a PA. Drove 1 hour to city, rented PA. Singer realizes the box of CDs for sale were at home. Drive back 1 hour, pick up CDs. Drive north 3.5 hours. Unpack, set up gear, finish set list and wait to start playing (it's now 8pm).

Waiting. Waiting. At 1am (!), we get the go ahead to start playing. We were dead tired, and so was the audience, who had been there since 4pm... most of them left when we started playing, no surprise, they were half asleep alread. We played for 1:45 and we sucked so bad. Nada energy or focus left.

Then we were promised a ride to the hotel. Waiting and waiting and finally it came (a limousine). So, got to bad around 4am.

Oh man, what a gig! :eek:
I'm NOT doing a gig like this again!

Jimi75
April 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I bet you booked this under "experiences" :bravo:
Oh man, this doesn't sound good, but I guess everybody who plays actively live has been through such cr**. Can you imagine being a professional musician in a small Blues band, playing juke joints and getting on stage after midnight most of the time? Here in Germany it's mostly this way. Very late stage times during the summer. some years ago we drove to a gig and the organizer only told us that he has no PA when we arrived - so we had to ride back and the schedule was darn tight. when we arrived we had to jump on stage immediately....

Next time will be better Rob!
:AOK:

Jimi75

Spudman
April 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I feel for you. WE played a private club circuit where we started playing at 3 AM! This was after playing a regular night in the club as well. It was really hard to muster anything for those last few hours till 6 am. I hope I never have to do that again and if you do I hope you get paid well for it, get a record deal and all the babes and booze that you can handle. That makes it all worthwhile.;)

Robert
April 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Spud, unfortunately we didn't get any of those last things you mention... it really sucked, but that is how it goes sometimes. Just gotta pick better gigs.

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Holy cow. Well, next time will be better. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Plank_Spanker
April 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
This will be good fodder for your memoir, book, and VH1 Behind the Scenes, Robert. :D

You hung in there, and that's all you can ask and expect from anyone.