PDA

View Full Version : Need your input here on a cab

Jimi75
April 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hey folks,

I really need your advice in a decision I have to make. I play my JTM45 with a 4x12 Fender cab. I love the sound. For me it's not to loud, but recently some organizers of smaller clubs said that a 4x12 is to loud. Especially, in the next two month we will be playing some smaller clubs. I had ideas about switching to 2x12 (still loud!), but you know I play a stack and on the one hand I think that an organizer of concerts should be aware of the fact that "some" people play a 4x12, on the other hand I think of buying a cheap 1x12, the advantage could be that I would have the chance to fire up the amph a little bit and get that nice brownish sound...but you know, I have my set up and the next investment wasn't really supposed to be a cab. What can I do? I still have that Flextone III XL, is there a way to use it as a cab only? I was looking after a Blackheart 1x12 cab and an Epiphone 1x12 cab. Should be looking pretty stupid....JTM45 on sucha tiny cab ;-)
For me there's no alternative to the JTM45, I'm not gonna play that Line6 amph or buy something else.

My band colleagues say - play the 4x12 - it's your set up - point - end of discussion...

What would you do? What do you think will it sound with the 1x12?

J75

ragnarpk
April 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
i agree with your colleagues, and would just say '**** it' and play the 4x12, to be honest... but that said, there's no reason why you shouldn't be ABLE to squeeze a decent tone out of a good 1x12.. but also it would kinda kill a lot of the 'badass' that comes with playing guitar :p

4x12 :D

oldguy
April 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Jimi, this may not be the answer you want to hear, but I switched the Ceriatone Overtone head from my Epiphone 4x12 cab loaded w/ the Lady Luck Speakers to my Avatar 2x12 loaded w/ Celestions, and I like the sound better. Keep in mind this is in our home, but the sound doesn't project forward so much, but rather blooms from the cab, since it's a semi-closed back. It fills the room much nicer, imo. I think it would work better in a small club also. Perhaps you could try an open back 2x12 and see how it works for you. I notice very little difference volume wise, but the sound is fuller and has a better "thump" when the speakers can do their thing without a closed back.
Hope this helps.:)

hubberjub
April 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Why don't you pick up an attenuator? That way you'll get to keep 100% of the looks, 95% of the tone and keep the volume where ever you want it. Just a thought?

Gutmann
April 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Jimi, this may not be the answer you want to hear, but I switched the Ceriatone Overtone head from my Epiphone 4x12 cab loaded w/ the Lady Luck Speakers to my Avatar 2x12 loaded w/ Celestions, and I like the sound better. Keep in mind this is in our home, but the sound doesn't project forward so much, but rather blooms from the cab, since it's a semi-closed back. It fills the room much nicer, imo. I think it would work better in a small club also. Perhaps you could try an open back 2x12 and see how it works for you. I notice very little difference volume wise, but the sound is fuller and has a better "thump" when the speakers can do their thing without a closed back.
Hope this helps.:)

:AOK: Would recommend this to - I got a 2x12 (Cel. V30/Greenback-Mix) semiopen instead of my Marshall 1960. This cab sounds much better at low and high volumes. Not the right thing for metal but perfekt for rock and cleansounds. And there is definitely no lack in volume and there's a full sound everywhere in the room. The cab has a flexible back, so I can make it a closed back as well - but the semi-open sounds so much fuller, I never use the closed back.
I think it would work perfekt with the JTM.

Spudman
April 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Play the 4x12 and point it to the wall. Michael Wilton did this last night and the stage volume was just drums. Everyone used in ear monitors. Or you can just point it back at you from the side of the stage since it's closed backed. No use changing your sound for a sound man. They work for you not the other way around.

Plank_Spanker
April 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
A 4x12 isn't any louder than a 2 (or 1) x12. The "organizers" should know this.

My two cents:

Play your 4x12. Tell the "organizers" that a 4x12 is only as loud as you make it - same as a 2 or 1 x12. Even if they whine about stage space, a 2x12 has the same footprint as a 4x12.

Their take on 4x12's is misinformed...................and possibly based on the bad assumption that 4x12 players automatically play at crushing volume levels.

Play the gear you are comfortable with.

Jimi75
April 30th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Thank you guys for your input! I think I will keep on playing the 4x12, because it is a great sounding 4x12 and you guys are absolutely right with what you say! :AOK:

ZMAN
April 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Jimi: I see you have come to a decision but I am also a big fan of the 2/12 Avatar. Mine is equipped with US Eminence legends and it sounds amazing. I only use it at home and I am using a 40 watt DSL401 combo as a head only with the internal speaker unplugged. It sounds very nice and will fit under your JTM nicely.

TS808
April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I can't see playing a JTM45 through a 1 x 12 cab...for one, it just doesn't make sense, and you'll lose some of that "punch" with a 1 x 12. Plus, I've found the Blackheart cabs, for example, to be somewhat thin sounding.

Stick with the 4 x 12. If you are going to change, I would not go with anything less than a 212.

In my opinion, a 1x12 cab would take away from the magic of a JTM45.

Plank_Spanker
May 1st, 2009, 07:57 AM
I can't see playing a JTM45 through a 1 x 12 cab...for one, it just doesn't make sense, and you'll lose some of that "punch" with a 1 x 12. Plus, I've found the Blackheart cabs, for example, to be somewhat thin sounding.

Stick with the 4 x 12. If you are going to change, I would not go with anything less than a 212.

In my opinion, a 1x12 cab would take away from the magic of a JTM45.

Agreed.