PDA

View Full Version : Small wattage heads or amps with speaker outs?

ibanezjunkie
April 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
-Epi. Valve Jr.
-Blackheart Killer ant
-Peavey Royal 8
-Fender champ 600

anyone know any other small wattage heads? 1-5 watts preferably.
i want a smaller wattage head to practise with, so i can crank it to get the nice crunch sound, with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears.

also, i know that small amps usually have small speakers, and they sound really boxy, so i want to run it through my 8 ohm, 140w marshall 4x12 so it has to have an extension speaker output.

thanks

piebaldpython
April 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Brand new Vox AC4TV comes in a combo and a head. One 12AX7 and one EL34 or 84. I forget which. 10" Celestion speaker in the combo.
This has it's own attenuator and it goes from !/4W to 1W to 4W. It has gotten favorable reviews.

Spudman
April 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The Little Giant has become my favorite low watt bang for the buck amp. What is your budget?

scottyscott66
April 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have the Blackheart Little Giant Head and Cab and I absolutely love the set up of this mini stack. Very nice head..actually drives my 4x12 nicely. Loves pedals as well.

just strum
April 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The Little Giant has become my favorite low watt bang for the buck amp. What is your budget?

Second that. I play it through a 10" Rajun Cajun and at some point I will run it through 12"

ibanezjunkie
April 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM

i was thinking somewhere around £200 probably?
i liked the idea of the 5 watts class A Epi valve Jr actually, and the killer ant, i dont really need any real power here, just something that i can crank up to get a nice crunch.

anyone played with a killer any recently?

ibanezjunkie
April 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
thanks for all the input peoples.

it probably wont be for a while though, im currently in between jobs and saving for sommat special for my to-be significant other.

once i get back into work, ill most likely stick my neck out for the little giant

cheers guys

Spudman
April 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Isn't 200 pounds like $400? The little Giant is only around $150 or around 150 Euro.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_little_giant_bh5h.htm

ibanezjunkie
May 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
Isn't 200 pounds like $400? The little Giant is only around $150 or around 150 Euro.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_little_giant_bh5h.htm

i think recently with all the economic crashes and stuff the dollar and the pound are pretty much 1 for 1.

as a matter of interest, anyone played a valve Jr. hotrod?

marnold
May 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
i think recently with all the economic crashes and stuff the dollar and the pound are pretty much 1 for 1.
As of this very moment, Google reports that 1 English pound = 1.48 U.S. dollars. So 200 pounds would be roughly $300 U.S.

TS808
May 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
The Blackheart Handsome Devil really isn't that much louder than the Little Giant (I own both). The Handsome Devil has the addition of a presence knob and drive knob. An awesome little amp.

P.J.
May 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
-Epi. Valve Jr.
-Blackheart Killer ant
-Peavey Royal 8
-Fender champ 600

anyone know any other small wattage heads? 1-5 watts preferably.
i want a smaller wattage head to practise with, so i can crank it to get the nice crunch sound, with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears.

also, i know that small amps usually have small speakers, and they sound really boxy, so i want to run it through my 8 ohm, 140w marshall 4x12 so it has to have an extension speaker output.

thanks

THD Univalve would probably fit the bill and can be found rather cheaply used.

=-) PJ

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I was fortunate enough to get a brand new Peavey JSX Mini Colossal for 175 US dollars, brand new on a close out at a place getting rid of their Peavey franchise, dealership or whatever it's called.

The Mini Colossal is unbelieveable with a great tremolo, which I love and 4, 8, and 16 ohm extension speaker switchable output jacks.

This little amp has "bloom" that is beautiful, pick attack as it is increased drives even the clean channel to distortion in small increments proportional to the force of your picking: incredible. Stock Weber speaker. Great amp but expensive. I was very lucky.

It has an attenuator on the back for late night distortion without disturbing people.

I have a Little Giant as well and need to compare them closely to identify any difference that my semi trained ear may be able to detect.

I love the Mini Colossal.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

mrmudcat
May 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
:rockon: "with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears."
Two words: power attenuator:beer:

But it is nice to have a low wattage amp which my modded vj does nice and through my vintage modern cab ...............sweetness

wingsdad
May 29th, 2009, 06:27 AM
The Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 isn't a head. It's a combo with no speaker out jack. Very nice little bedroom, practice or recording amp, with hi-and lo-gain inputs and a headphone/line out jack, but unless you rig a connector to bypass its speaker, you can cross it off your list.