PDA

View Full Version : Does Tone Effect Your Ability?

Squireman131
April 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have been in search of a tone that i like and that is versatile so im always changing how my amp is eq'd. I just bought a new amp (Randall 75 watt G2 series combo) which has a amazing clean channel and a very good distortion also and ive noticed just in the past couple days i feel like i play better. Has anyone else felt this way or is it just me?

ragnarpk
April 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
a lot of people say they play better because the increased clarity leaves less room to be sloppy so they're forced to 'get their shit together'...

Fab4
April 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
When everything comes together - groove, tone, mix - it's absolutely inspiring. When my tone is happening, I can focus just on playing and listening, so I play better.

New gear can help that process, too. If suddenly I can achieve a sound I've been chasing, it helps me do what I'm trying to do with just that much less effort.

markb
April 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I always find I need to dial in the right tone for the song otherwise it just doesn't feel right. A good sounding amp makes you feel better about the way your playing sounds.

Spudman
April 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
It does for me. I get way more inspired if it sounds good and then I play better. It's much more fun than fighting your amph.

Jimi75
April 29th, 2009, 01:05 AM
100% for me! People do not care enough for their tone. Having the right tone for your music is the best that can happen to you, it encourages you and inspires you.

vroomery
April 29th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I definitely agree with the rest. When your tone matches up to what your ear is hearing you have more room to focus on notes and phrasing rather than whats missing in the tone. It's also a well known fact that when you get new gear you are excited about your new toy(s) and play more often which can easily convert into playing better.

bigG
April 29th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Yep! I can honestly say that my Swart Space Tone has me playing above my usual capabilities. May sound cliche, but true!:)

oldguy
April 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM
When the sound is better I tend to play/practice more, when I play/practice more I tend to improve, and play better. It just makes things better.:)

sumitomo
April 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I agree!I'm not that great of a player so I need all the good tone I can get.I have been learning to write down the settings of amph's and pedals,oh also which guitar and it's settings when I find a sweet spot that I like.Better than rackin my brain sayin darn it sounded great the other day what did have that pedal set at? Sumi:D

Plank_Spanker
April 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Having a sound that pleases you goes a long ways in keeping you inspired.

sunvalleylaw
April 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Mmmm, tone . . . makes it way better for me. Not sure if it makes me any better, but I like it a whole lot better for sure.

just strum
April 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Mmmm, tone . . . makes it way better for me. Not sure if it makes me any better, but I like it a whole lot better for sure.

I would probably find myself in the same category. As I've progressed, I have found tone playing a more important role and a great part of the learning process.

sumitomo
April 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I heard so good tone last night,it can from experience,attitude,timing and two well trained hands connected to a heart of soul!!!! Sumi:D

Fretcruiser
April 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
The answer is an absolute yes! Think about it like this....

Music is ALL about the sound you make. The physical technique is somewhat important, but if you can create amazing sounds, that's what it's all about.

Now, just say you play with an absolutely horrible tone. Unless that's how you feel on the inside, you're not going to be able to play from the soul, because you won't be able to connect with what you're playing. The tone HAS to match what's on the inside. Then, what you create will actually make SENSE to you. Thats why playing in tune is important as well:dude:

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I would probably find myself in the same category. As I've progressed, I have found tone playing a more important role and a great part of the learning process.

As and after I posted, I thought to myself, if it causes me to enjoy it more, thus have more fun, thus play more, of course it will make me "better" just from playing and enjoying it more.

That is one reason I could find a good, inexpensive acoustic (asian, mexi, whatever) that sounds like Martin HD-28V. Then I would have a number one on both the acoustic and electric sides. With an acoustic, I think each guitar has its own thing, but that is the general tone I want to hear. I get frustrated a little with my own acoustic. It just does not have the warmth and depth I want to hear. But, it is what I have, and I have an acoustic guitar and should just be glad for that.