PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Jackson JS30KV King V

tremoloman
August 1st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Do any of you own this guitar or have tried one? For $299, it looks like a good deal.

I would like to have one 24-fret guitar in my stable and it looks a lot like Dave Mustaine's old signature model. Most reviews I've seen thus far have been favorable.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/8/9/270289.jpg

Katastrophe
August 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Never tried the King V... I do like the gear Jackson is putting out now, though. High quality at a decent price. I posted a review of my other guitar player's guitar (in the same price range, string thru body TOM Strat style guitar) in the "Other models" section. Fit and finish was great. My buddy also reports no intonation or tuning stability problems since.

Beware though, most Jacksons come with either a compound radius or relatively flat radius fretboard, and thinner necks. My Charvel (made by Jackson in the 90's) is awesome for bending, but the thinner neck does indeed cause me some hand cramping on some songs with a lot of barre chords. Nothing I can't overcome, but it's there.

As a Rondo fan, have you seen the Agile Hornet? Same price, comes in black, looks killer, with set neck.

Tone2TheBone
August 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Get one with shark inlays dude! :)

Cranium
August 1st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Why a Jackson? I like the dinky with HSS config, it comes with Seymour Duncan pups right out of the box, but why not get an Ibanez? I love mine, as long as you replace the stock pickups (not always, but usualy you will) its a great guitar, the necks are way better then any Fender I ever played (don't know about Jackson), also the new RG350 model with maple fretboard and sharky toothies came out :0, I have one but with rosewood fingerboard and I like it alot, so easy to play, I tune it once every 6 months or so, I can play with the whammy bar all day and it wont go out of tune at all.

So unless your not into the Floyd Rose floating bridges with which I had so much trouble with it when I first got it, but the playing made up for it and I got used to it later, so if you don't like those kind of bridges go with the Jackson I guess, they probably have more Tune-o-matic type bridges, or whatever those are called.

Oops sorry I think I might have gotten a little off topic there, that Jackson looks nice but I don't like V shapes much.

tremoloman
August 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM
I used to own a custom Ibanez RG 550 (I think that was the model) a few years back but the body shape is very uncomfortable for me and the neck too thin. They make great instruments but just don't fit me. I've always wanted a V and think this low cost model may be the way to satisfy my craving.

I'd love shark inlays but that only appears on the $2,000+ models. :(

Cranium
August 2nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Get the RR3 Rhoads model, it not exactly a V but its very similar, look it up on musician's friend, it comes with sharkfins and SD JB in bridge and SD Jazz in neck, nice pickups by the way, very clean! The only drawback he is it has 22 frets though, why do you want 24 frets anyway? Your not gonna be using them all anyway but get the King if you want, you should go try it at a store first maybe? Good luck! :R