PDA

View Full Version : Cone cry - what is it exactly?

Robert
November 4th, 2005, 08:42 PM
It seems I have developed "cone cry" in my Hellhound speaker - an Alltone 12 inch speaker. At least that is what the guy who made the amp, Joe Naylor, said. I'm not really sure what cone cry is, could anyone here explain it in more detail?

What happens is that on louder volume, certain higher notes squeal a little bit, just enough to be annoying. With an external cab, the problem is gone of course. It only occurs when playing quite loud, and only on certain notes.

What would you do - buy a new speaker for the little combo, or buy a nice external cab instead? The Alltone speaker is not being produced anymore.

Hophead
November 6th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Both. Replace the current speaker and add an external.

Robert
November 6th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for speaker? It's a jungle out there! Eminence, Jensen, Celestion...etc, each seem to have many models. I'd need one that's rated for 50 watts, and 12 inches of course.

What about cabs? I'd like a 1x12 I think. The Traynor 1x12 cab seems good.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I've never heard of cone cry,, hmm, Robert there are lots of choices out there for speakers , the weber speakers are highly rated and Ted Weber is a gentleman to deal with, I've used his sig8 8'' in a champ and it might be the best 8'' speaker available .. heres the site , lottsa info there .http://www.tedweber.com
ALSO check out tonetubby speakers .. plus jensen has some great reissue vintage style speakers.. their sites sort of help you determine the type of sound you are looking for and point you to the appropriate speaker.. 6S9L

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I've always had Celestions in my amps and cabs. Either Green Back 25 watters or Vintage 30s. I'm always happy with my tone using them.