PDA

View Full Version : First time playing with others

sumitomo
April 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Well I took my strat and bj amph and went to a practice with a group of guys who have played together for many many years,the son who played drums I know and invited me over,dad plays and sings was a pro before,I felt a little nervous and got fumble fingers now and then but they kept giving me the nod to go,it was fun,I need to play more with others and turn it up.I also have been playing at a hispanic church on fri to learn their worship songs strumming open chords,sounds easy but I never learned open chords,just E,A and C shapes for bar chords.These guys played blues,country,motown ect and dad played mostly with eyes shut,very good player and good person.I look forward to next week.Sumi:D:rockon:

bigG
April 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Good news, sumi! Playing w others is THE best way to play, IMHO. The feedback from others, who are all in the same moment, playing off of each other, catching that groove...

I hope it opens up all kinds of new playing and ideas for ya! I'm sure it will!

Rock on, brother!:rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
April 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Go Sumi Go!

Roach Mulligan would be proud.

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Cool Sumi! I really enjoy playing with others, but have not had an opportunity for a while. I hope that turns into something regular for you, it is fun!

luvmyshiner
April 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Sounds sweet Sumi!:AOK:

sumitomo
April 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Yea it was fun,blows my mind thought they just flip the switch from a soulful motown to country then to rockin blues.I did learn that when I practice with a bt or song to just keep going if I flub a little and not start the whole song over,I started feeling alright with that and glad these guys gave me the opportunity to try.Sumi:D

aeolian
April 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Sumi, good deal!

I started playing guitar 45 years ago, but rarely played with other people. I did a little of that in high school, then in the early 1980s I played with a few people for about a year. Then forward to 2007 when I hooked up with a couple of guys and we played once a week for about a year. Last year I found a guitar/keyboard/singer and we started playing together. Since then we have added a bass player and a drummer and we meet (mostly) weekly to play. It is fun, and it motivates me to learn songs that I did not use to play.

Just like you pointed out, when I'm practicing I start and stop constantly, but playing with others teaches me to forge ahead no matter what. And if I get lost I have to find my way back in.

By the way, I'm located in Portland. So if you ever make your way up here let me know and we can meet up; you may even get to sit in with our band.

sumitomo
April 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks aeolian I just may take you guys up on that cause I might have to dyno tune one of the subarus at PDX tuning in Portland this summer.Sumi:D

M29
April 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cool Sumi:rockon: I am in the same place. I just started playing in our worship group and I am learning new open chords as well. I knew mostly barre chords and some open. There are some songs that have a pretty good drive to them every now and then. I have been thinking about bringing the Bad Monkey into use on a couple. Very lightly of course:D

It sure feels good to be part of the sound, don't ya just love it? Now if I can keep my hands from sweating so much.

:dude:

M29

SweetSong
May 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I got to play on a stage two weeks ago!.It made me feel like I was going ta get sick. It was the first time in front of people that were only there ta listen. I only played one song with them that we been practicing. Anyway I'm playing with guys that know more and make me better.So yea Play with anyone you can!!! Also, you forget about things if you practiced enough and it's just like OK just play. I just forgot about the people and played like they showed me. It was too fun.

guitaraddict
May 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Way too go! I just learned a couple songs to play with my son for moms/grammas 70th birthday. My son is in a band and played shows with over 100 other bands last year, so he was comfortable and I was nervous. Well mom thought it was the greatest songs ever and that boy made me sound pretty darn good. I have been playing for 30 plus years and now we are playing together whenever he has some time for the 'old man'. It's the best feeling and awesome bonding time for us. Bottom line is I think it's really cool that you are sharing your playing with others and I wish you the best guitar experiences possible. Keep layin down those licks.:dude:

Perfect Stranger
June 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Congrats.....:bravo:

SharkUSMC
June 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
One great tip about playing with others, don't forget to leave space. Every 16th note space doesn't have to be filled with sound. Sometimes, just let the music rest, especially coming out of a strong chorus into a soft verse.

Rocket
June 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
One great tip about playing with others, don't forget to leave space.
Absolutely... band dynamics are tricky. I've spent my whole adult life, (and some of my youth,) attempting to dodge the curaré-tipped barbs that rain on bands from every direction...
Bands are definitely not for the weak-willed or faint-of-heart.

bigG
June 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Absolutely... band dynamics are tricky. I've spent my whole adult life, (and some of my youth,) attempting to dodge the curaré-tipped barbs that rain on bands from every direction...
Bands are definitely not for the weak-willed or faint-of-heart.

Rocket, my experiences from being in many bands many years ago don't bear that out. Maybe (probably) things have changed since the early 80s, but every band I was ever in, jammed/sat-in with, was made up of professional, friendly cats w no attitude and more than willing to share the spotlight. Maybe I was just lucky...

Now, the touring and business side of gigging on the road is a different story. I would definitely agree w you there. That can be brutal and takes alot of determination, heart and just plain orneriness (ie "I'm not gonna let this beat me. If it's what I have to put up with to play music, then bring it on!") Alot of folks aren't built that way. I know I'm not anymore...

My 2 cents.

sumitomo
June 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Well I am going with the guys from the hispanic church and we are going to another city to play,so this will be the first time for me playing in front of people playing not singing cause I can't even get most of the words correct of these songs.Should be fun and there will be a big feast afterward,that means good homemade food.Sumi:D

bigG
June 27th, 2009, 02:23 PM
That sounds like great fun, sumi! Have a ball! Relax and have fun! :beer:

We look forward to the post-gig details, of course! :D

FrankenFretter
June 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Back in the 80s, I was involved in a couple of bands. We never went very far, but it was one of the best time periods of my life, playing loud music with like-minded friends. It's so true, you learn so much by doing things with others, be it music, riding mountain bikes, or whatever.

I put the guitar down for over 15 years, only to pick it back up again just over a year ago. Once in a great while, I get a chance to jam with some of the guys that I used to play with in the 80s. It's funny how things come back to you in those situations, something I liken to muscle memory or something similar. I don't get a chance to play often anymore, but for some reason I always play better with others. It's relaxing and stimulating at the same time.

Good for you, Sumi. Rock on, my Oregon brother.

:rockon:

sumitomo
June 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Well it was cool,There was some other churchs playing so the stage was a mess of everyones gear,so I was stuck off to the side and I have only played these songs for a couple of hours,no song notes for changes I was watching the other guitar for changes before and now his hand was out of sight,so I got lost out of the gate reached down turned down my vol knob and faked it till I caught up with the changes and this kept my mind off all the people and it went good from there.Everyone had a good time,man what a bunch of friendly people and the food was great.We go back in two months,maybe I'll sing alittle spanish next time.Sumi:D

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Great, sumi! Nothing like trial-by-fire in front of an audience, eh! Sounds like you handled it well! Now you're ready for just abt anything in a live situation :AOK: