PDA

View Full Version : Triangle/Ram's Head Big Muff Pi

piebaldpython
May 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
There are 2 versions of the Big Muff Pi pedal-----Triangle and Ram's Head. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes Layman's explanation of what the differences are between them? BYOC has a little video of both their clones versus the Real Thing------just listening to those clips I kind of liked the sound of the Ram's Head more. But, that could have been based just on what style they were playing. :whatever:
Thanks.

Suhnton
May 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I think there are quite a few versions: the stock Big Muff, Triangle, Ram's Head and the Green (Russian).

EDIT* There are about 3 versions of the Russian Big Muffs.

What I do know about the Triangle version (which is the one I built) is that it addressed the over-bassiness users complained of the early Big Muff models. That, and Dave Gilmour has gone back to using this version.

Check this page out for more detailed info:

http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
From a posting someone made over at the BYOC forums:

1971 Triangle:
Full, thick, creamy fuzz with a big, punchy low end on chords and full, saturated, sustaining, blooming leads. Great balance of tone and has a great sweep of gain from low gain overdrive to full gain, blown-out fuzz while still maintaining the clarity of each string.

1972(?) Triangle Version 2:
Very similar to the 1971 Triangle but with less low end.

1973 Ram's Head:
Has a very overdrive/fuzz tone to it, not as much bass as a triangle, and has a brighter tone. Lower gain settings give you a nice overdrive breakup. Full gain gives you a "cleaner" fuzz. Not as saturated as the Triangle or Violet Ram's Head.

As far as which sounds best....."opinions vary", as they say.

Domenicnas
May 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
There are more than three version of the Big Muff. many, many more. Check out this website.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

I think this is the most comprehensive Muff page on the net, with all the versions, tons of pix, and transistors used. No schematics, but there are links at the end of the page to most of the sites with them. The stuff on pistones.com is not accurate.

duhvoodooman
May 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's the most thorough rundown on the various Muffs that I've seen. Thanks for that link!