PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Telecasters anyone?

mechanic
May 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM
I can't afford it (really) and my wife will kill me if I get it BUT.........
My local Fender dealer has a Fender Japan manufactured pink paisley telecaster (the reissue )
I've always wanted a paisley and this is the first time I've seen one for sale locally.
The salesman (here we go) claims that as far as he's concerned the Japanese production Telecasters right now are HEAD and SHOULDERS ABOVE anything Fender is putting out from their North American plants.
Since this guitar is going for $900 and the American Standard right across the room's price tag said $1799 I'm pretty skeptical about that claim.
Since I really can't afford it I'm probably not going to buy it but I'm curious
what does everyone else think about that guys statement that Fender Japan's guitars are better than their American made guitars?
He likes them so much that the store had 2 of the paisleys shipped to them and he bought one of them.
Thoughts or comments anybody?
Eric

markb
May 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Fender Japan make really good guitars. I had a blackguard in vintage natural which had the most wonderful soft v neck. It came with Fender Original Vintage pickups which are great. The only thing I'd have changed on that guitar were the pots and switch but the stock ones worked fine for three years of gigging.
I don't think they're better than the US Fenders these days but they can be just as good. Remember that Fender Japan saved the company back in the 80's after the management buyout.

Jipes
August 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I have an Esquire Made in Japan (from 1986 I think) and it's a great Telecaster I'm really happy with that axe you can use it in many different context ;)

Jimi75
August 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Had a 1993 Japanese DLX Tele. Man, a dream of a guitar, but I sold it and have been regretting it since!

mrmudcat
August 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have a japan foto=flame strat but the pups were weak and the pots crap.

They are really well made,or atleast the older models were;)

Jipes
August 13th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I have a japan foto=flame strat but the pups were weak and the pots crap.

I think that's their weak point the new Mexico series seems to have much better parts ;) I had to exchange the pickup selector and the pin jack on my Esquire MIJ

mrmudcat
August 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Yea your right brother!!!

I upgraded pups and pots (one V one T)

Put in a tbx tone control pot and S.D. pups and of course switch but kept original stuff:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
August 14th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I played a MIJ Squier Tele for about a decade, and it honestly could hang with any MIM at a minimum, and probably a lot of USA's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/82001fullfar.jpg

The only reason I don't still have it is I got a killer deal on a similar-looking Fender USA '52 RI Tele, and I sold it to finance the other.

hubberjub
August 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
My buddy lent me his Japanese "69 Reissue thinline Tele for two years while he was in the Peace Corps. That was a great guitar. I hated giving that back.

MAXIFUNK
August 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I own the Pink Paisley Stratocaster and the craftsmanship is excellent as good as any guitar or bass I have owned or played.

MIJ gets a 10 out 10 in my book.
So, I am sure the Tele would not disappoint either and heck if i had the money i would buy the Tele in paisley or flower to have a matched set.

I highly recommend JIP Paisley/Flower guitars.

Maxi............................:beer: