PDA

View Full Version : More details on the Durham Zia Drive?

red
May 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hello, while looking around for a way to, well, basically be a competent Keith Richards clone tone-wise, I came across the Durham Zia Drive (http://www.durhamelectronics.com/ziadrive.html) pedal. After checking out their clips and video, I've tried to find more information about the Zia Drive - because I'm knee deep in overdrive pedals right now. I already had an Ibanez TS9 modified to TS808 specs and I've just finished building a BYOC Overdrive 2 pedal, and that one can both noticeably decrease the mid-boost thing (have more bass) and I can select the clipping device (including germanium diodes).

So what I'd like to know, basically, is: is the Zia Drive a modified TS808 clone, or something completely different? I'm really pondering getting one, but it's a bit expensive and I'd rather not do it if it duplicates or is very close to the tones I can get with my "regular" overdrives.

Thanks!

homelife88
May 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hello, while looking around for a way to, well, basically be a competent Keith Richards clone tone-wise, I came across the Durham Zia Drive (http://www.durhamelectronics.com/ziadrive.html) pedal. After checking out their clips and video, I've tried to find more information about the Zia Drive - because I'm knee deep in overdrive pedals right now. I already had an Ibanez TS9 modified to TS808 specs and I've just finished building a BYOC Overdrive 2 pedal, and that one can both noticeably decrease the mid-boost thing (have more bass) and I can select the clipping device (including germanium diodes).

So what I'd like to know, basically, is: is the Zia Drive a modified TS808 clone, or something completely different? I'm really pondering getting one, but it's a bit expensive and I'd rather not do it if it duplicates or is very close to the tones I can get with my "regular" overdrives.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the circuits, but I've gotten similar tones out of my Russian Muff. The Muff has a bit more grit to it when cranked, but It stays pretty smooth.

red
May 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure about the circuits, but I've gotten similar tones out of my Russian Muff. The Muff has a bit more grit to it when cranked, but It stays pretty smooth.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm interested in tonal differences, not the actual details of what capacitors he uses and all that :).

I'm not sure from the sound clips, nice as they are, that it's not the same thing as (or very close to) my BYOC OD 2 with the "FAT"/"Germanium diode clipping" setting. Tonally.

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Doesn't sound anything like a TS circuit to me....

red
May 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Doesn't sound anything like a TS circuit to me....
Thanks for the reply!

Another thing that worries me is that I've read a review and seen a picture on another forum posted by mr. Durham with the insides of the pedal - and it looks like it's got a white hardened plastic-like substance all over the PCB. I guess it's there to prevent people from stealing his circuit design, and it's his right to do so, but I live in Europe so if a capacitor breaks I'd rather run to the store and replace it myself rather than sending the pedal back to the US and go through customs again.

What's that white foam thing? Can it be taken off for local service?

red
May 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Right, in case anyone else is interested in a potential answer to that question, it seems like the white stuff on the PCB is epoxy:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/alandurham/ziainside.jpg

At least that's what somebody says in his Harmony-Central review (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Durham+Electronics/Crazy+Horse/10/1):

"Seems well built but Mr. Durham pulled a Dumble/Finnegan on us and shpoozed the circuit with white-ish epoxy that looks like snail dung. This will make future repairs impossible. I understand the need to protect intellectual property - but that is why g-d made lawyers and the patent office. I respect where the creator is coming from but I wish he would trust the recombinant DNA like nature of the electronic effects community and his own mojo and not gum up the works. i will notbe able to fix the Crazy Horse in 25 years from now when the caps and resistors fail - and just when i was beginning to LOVE this pedal! But then - our esteemed builder (really!) mr. Durham will be retired in Tahiti or the Austin old folks home."

I guess that calls for thinking real hard before forking over the cash for a relatively expensive pedal that I'd have to just throw away if anything on the PCB dies. Not being able to service it locally, I'd probably have to pay the equivalent of a new one to have it sent back to the US for servicing.