PDA

View Full Version : Burstbuckers, Duncan 59's?????

M29
May 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I am looking to replace my Dimarzio Classic PAF's in my Epi Studio LP. I have been looking into the Gibson Burstbucker and the so often suggested Duncan Semour 59's.
Why I am replacing the Dimarzio's is that they seem harsh to me somewhat brittle in the upper midrange. They are Alnico 5's at 8.7 and 8.5 DC resistance. Could I expect to eliminate this harshness with either of the pickups I mentioned above. I have looked around the utubes to get an idea but can't really get a good example.
Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

markb
May 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
I've had two sets of Duncan 59s in Epiphone guitars and like them. A friend has an Epi Joe Perry Boneyard LP loaded with Burstbuckers and that sounds pretty nice too.

Whether they'll do what you're after is really your call but they are good PAF types.

M29
May 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks Mark,

I tried different caps and I think it sounds pretty good now. I had orange drop .047uf originally and did not like the sound of it so I went to sozo .022uf and it sounded better but now that I have been playing it for a few months, I did not like the .022's so I put the OD's back in and it got rid of the spikey upper midrange.

I think I am happy now.............:thwap:

M29

markb
May 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
Cool, I like cheap fixes. $5 worth of caps beats $150 worth of pickups as a solution in my book :bravo:

M29
May 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
You betcha:rockon:

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I have the SD '59 in the neck and the SD JB in the bridge on a couple of my guitars, one a birdseye maple top Epi LP Std and the other a Schecter C1 hybrid, awesome, E/A.

This combination is incredible, with the JB being higher output.

Twin SD '59's would probably sound awesome as well.

In my limitted exposure to different pickups, I find that I like Seymour Duncans very much. I have some HB'ing single coils in a strat; hot rail in neck, 'lil '59 in mid, and JB Jr. in bridge: awesome sound but not like their full sized HB brothers and sisters, definitely way closer to a great strat sound and noiseless. Possibly my best sounding strat.

I have used a few GFS pups for a substatial savings and recently put the Power Pro Plus or something like that P bass pups in an all black Affinity I hot rodded just recently. They sound so good that I can hardly tell the difference in tone between them and my Schecter Stilletto Elite V with EMG HZ and active electronics; but, I was using my Zoom B2.1u multipedal at the time I compared them and my new style Marshall MB30 bass practice amp with a lot of its own tone shaping features.

I have also used GFS single coil hot rails in a strat as well as a Fender tele MIM bridge for a bandmate in the super heavy metal band my son is in. That's where I got my Fender Custom Shop Hot Texas Special tele bridge pup I put in my Squire walnut stained standard tele, a great pickup, for 35 dollars. Have a neck matching Custom Shop Texas Special tele one I found that I'm getting used for 40 dollars.

Seymour Duncan makes some pickups that are not equalled by the ones I've compared them to, but I have yet to try Lollars, etc.

Duffy

Jimi75
May 28th, 2009, 05:07 AM
59 got very high output, very creamy rock osunds and singing solos. The BB and the %9s might lack a little warmth.

Perfect Stranger
June 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
If you want a really nice sounding '59's at an unbelieveably low price you want to check these out. They sound sooooo go to me.

Nico's Vintage American 59 Humbucker
http://pickersparts.auctivacommerce.com/Nicos-Vintage-American-59-Humbucker-P95880.aspx
http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/0/2/4/9/3/webimg/229086.jpg

I couldn't believe it until I installed some.....