PDA

View Full Version : New amp, recommend me...

ShootTheGlass
May 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi all!

Been a while since Ive been on, several things have taken up all my time as of late. Im pleased to report that Ive actually made some progress with playing though, my co-ordination is a lot tighter and my speed has picked up without me focusing on it - thanks to all who gave me great advice!

I currently have a Peavey Bandit with a Celestion G12K, and a Line 6 spider. Lately, Ive been going off the Spiders sound - especially on palm muted chords/chugs, where it lacks definition, it all gets a bit muddy. Im preferring the Bandit just now, the only problem is that its bloody LOUD; on the gain channel, sitting at 1/10 is more than enough.

Im thinking about buying a new amp, but am still at a level of playing where I dont think Id have the confidence to spend a while in a shop trying out different amps - not unless everyone wanted to hear the same 10 riffs with different tone each time! :D

Im looking for something smallish, perhaps a bit versatile. I play mostly metal with a bit of blues, and its always playing at home, I dont gig. Anyone recommend an amp or two to check out in particular? Or would any pedals/mods work well with the bandit?

Thanks all :)

bigG
May 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Shoot, I have a Bandit 65 from 1983. Great amp and takes pedals well. Still in "as new" condition to this day. If you like your Bandit, grab some pedals (and a 9v power supply) and have at it.

Another way to go, for your situation, is the new VT Valvetronix series from Vox. Has just about every amp model and effect onboard and sells for like $250 - $300 for the VT 30 (30w, 1x10). Also has a power attenuator onboard so you can dial it down to 1 or 2 watts (or anywhere between up to 30w). I have the earlier AD50VT from Vox, and the power attenuator makes it IDEAL for home or apartment. Plus, you save tons of $ not buying pedals.

The new Vox AC4TV is also great - has a knob to adjust from 4w max, to 1 w to 1/4 w. This is a tube amp and has NO frills whatsoever, just a volume knob, tone knob, and the wattage selector knob. Streets for $250.

I'm sure others will have more recommendations. Hope this helps! :rockon:

markb
May 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
The Roland Cubes sound pretty good at low levels and have two high gain voices, one middly (Peavey 5150) and one scooped (Mesa Rectifier). In fact there's your Peavey's metal voice built right into the Cube. The power squeezer turns it into a 2 watt Microcube. They're cheap too and have enough basic effects to make life interesting. The 30X would make a great small practice amp. See my comparison of three Cube models in the amp forum.

sumitomo
May 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Oh you need to get one of those zt lunchboxes!!!!!Then you can tell us all about them.Very versatile,clean to mean.Sumi:D

TS808
May 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I agree...you can't go wrong with any of the Vox VT series amps...30 or 50 watts...with the power lever control it's good at all volumes and you can get a good tube like tone.

I'd also recommend one of the Blackheart amps...more so the Handsome Devil just because it has a little more tonal control than the Little Giant.

ibanezjunkie
May 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant + Blackheart BH112 cab + pedals + 9v DC Brick.

perfect.