PDA

View Full Version : Pickguard Static Crackle

duhvoodooman
August 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Any of you ever run into this? And, if so, how did you reduce or eliminate it?

I've had a bit of it on my LP, and I'm getting quite a lot of it with the new Dot. Apparently, with our air conditioning running all the time during the hot weather, it's enough to drop the humidity in the house enough to cause this problem. I guess some pickguards are more prone to it than others (method of mounting, proximity to electronics, type of plastic, etc.). In any case, when you run your fingers across the pickguard during playing, you get an audible crackle coming through the amp. Not noticeable when you're rockin' hard, but playing more softly, it becomes quite noticeable and annoying.

I've read several approaches to taming it, including shielding the back of the pickguard, grounding its mounting hardware, and wiping the guard with a Cling-Free or other laundry dryer static removal product.

Let's hear those good ideas, you Fret Net geniuses!

M29
August 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Hello duhvoodooman,

I would think you need to ground the screws to the rest of the electrics. Maybe run a thin sheet of copper or aluminum under the pickguard and make sure the screws go through it and make contact. Then ground the copper sheet to the back of pot or where the other grounds terminate.

Just a thought. I had this same problem.

M29

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks, M29. I think that's the way to go for a permanent fix.

In the meantime, I went into our laundry room, found a sample package of Bounce dryer sheets, wiped down the pickguard with one of them, and the static crackle is gone, at least for now. Stuck the Bounce sheets into a baggy and shoved 'em in with the rest of my amp & guitar supplies. And my guitar has a fresh, springtime-clean odor, too! ;) :D

I may do the more permanent shielding/grounding work at some point, but this "quick fix" has me playing crackle-free for the moment! :DR

tremoloman
August 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
That's why I install pickguard shields whenever I take apart a guitar. I use the Callaham pre-cut ones for Strats and make my own out of tin foil and super glue for the others. They really do help!

Here's an article I think that will better explain how to do this: "Quieting the Beast" (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php)

Spudman
August 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
In the meantime, I went into our laundry room, found a sample package of Bounce dryer sheets, wiped down the pickguard with one of them, and the static crackle is gone, at least for now. Stuck the Bounce sheets into a baggy and shoved 'em in with the rest of my amp & guitar supplies. And my guitar has a fresh, springtime-clean odor, too! ;) :D

:DR

Man, after a few bar gigs that is probably going to end up being one funky smell.:(

Thanks for the dryer sheet tip. I never thought of that. I don't need to do it though because I did the foil and grounding thing on all my pickguards. Fixed the problem for me.