PDA

View Full Version : Rick Derringer

Robert
May 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just chatted with Rick on Twitter. He's an awesome guy. Check out this clip with Edgar Winter from 1973. Great stuff! I love this song. One of the best rock'n roll songs ever written.

3wTXv9KPWeg

bigG
May 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
Cool, Robert. Love that song! One of the classics :rockon:

We opened for The McCoys in Miami in 1967 at Thee Image (a converted bowling alley - made for a great rock venue! The 2 stages were set up where the bowling pins used to be at the end of the alley). I can't remember, but it might have been The McCoys and The Fudge...(The McCoys, for you who don't remember, had the hit 'Hang On Sloopy' [another classic, been compared to being on par with Louie, Louie in the frat-rock genre] and were touring off the fame of that. The band included Rick, with his brother on drums, and his schtick was to drum w/o a stool - standing up, using a regular kit.)

I remember they were running very late and finally showed up knocking at the backdoor just a few hours before showtime, towing a U-Haul trailer behind a car. Rick's eyes were SO freakin' red, he was zonked, man! Back in those days, you would have never figured he'd develop into the accomplished musician and sideman he became.

Spudman
May 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
I got to hang out with Rick one night. He's a monster player. We went to the bathroom at the same time and as I was standing at the stall I kept saying in my head "man, I can't believe I'm taking a whizz next to Rick Derringer." He was a lot more laid back than I thought he was going to be. He appears to be a really nice guy all the time. No the bathroom wasn't the only place I was with Rick. He was playing the club I ran sound for.