PDA

View Full Version : I Hate These 17 Year Old Kids

just strum
May 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
A friend of my daughters came over to look at the Washburn and the RP350. The kid was ripping on the guitar and when I asked him how long has he been taking lessons, the answer - none. I am amazed at these kids that just seem to be naturals, although I know they spend a lot of time playing.

He actually fell in love with the Epi Wildkat and wanted to know how much I wanted for it. I through out a number, but I think his budget is more in line with the Washburn.

He's going to bring his dad over to take a look. His dad is a jazz and blues player, so he might like the Wildkat too.

Katastrophe
May 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Kinda makes ya sick, don't it?

I think that there is so much information out there for proper technique, and that the level of musicianship is so high these days that kids who are dedicated have a leg up when it comes to learning.

But, there are some relative newbies to the guitar here that amaze me with what they've learned.

tjcurtin1
May 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
When I told my brother-in-law (who's been playing all his life) that I was introducing some of my 8th graders to the guitar, the first thing out of his mouth was, "It's amazing how fast they learn, isn't it!" As I told my students, this is the age to take it up - the brain is hungry for input and it is myelenizing (nerve hot-wiring) like crazy at this age - so, they have a natural advantage, Strum! Don't feel bad - we're just way behind the curve if we take it up late...(those synapses we didn't use back then got turned off). Nothing to do to make up but practice, play, practice!

Plank_Spanker
May 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
When I find a kid that can smoke me, I make it a point for him to teach me something. :D

just strum
May 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
When I find a kid that can smoke me, I make it a point for him to teach me something. :D

Funny you should mention that. Both the kid and his dad play, told him if they threw in lessons, I would consider discounting the guitar.

BluesHowler
May 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
A couple of months ago I was jamming to a Hendrix Red House BT and the doorbell rings. I answer it and a young kid (17 years old ) is standing there. He says that he is a neighbor and a guitar player and wants to know if he could jam with me.

Of course I say yes and this kid picks up my guitar blows me away. He then mentions that he also plays drums. I have a drum set in the basement that I fool around with so I take him down there. He sets up and starts drumming like Neil Pert!

I also have a upright piano that came with the house when I bought it. I've learned a few cords and a couple of blues riffs on it but not much else. This 17 year old kid turns to the piano and says he can also play the piano.

He sets up to the piano and asks me if I know who Pine Top Perkins is. I've met Pine Top in person and know his style very well. The kid starts playing in the style of Pine Top and asks me if I like it.

I hate 17 year old kids also!

thearabianmage
May 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
A couple of months ago I was jamming to a Hendrix Red House BT and the doorbell rings. I answer it and a young kid (17 years old ) is standing there. He says that he is a neighbor and a guitar player and wants to know if he could jam with me.

Of course I say yes and this kid picks up my guitar blows me away. He then mentions that he also plays drums. I have a drum set in the basement that I fool around with so I take him down there. He sets up and starts drumming like Neil Pert!

I also have a upright piano that came with the house when I bought it. I've learned a few cords and a couple of blues riffs on it but not much else. This 17 year old kid turns to the piano and says he can also play the piano.

He sets up to the piano and asks me if I know who Pine Top Perkins is. I've met Pine Top in person and know his style very well. The kid starts playing in the style of Pine Top and asks me if I like it.

I hate 17 year old kids also!

<<cringe>>

Guitar, drums, piano. . . Some kids just have it all. Just you wait until they have women, bills, and a social life to worry about. We'll see who's good, then. :D

kiteman
May 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
What did y'all do when you were 17? :whatever:

When I was 17 all I knew was surf guitar. Now that the music's more sophiticated I'm lost.

sumitomo
May 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I can see where you guys are comming from,but at the same time I feel you are very lucky because you didn't even have to search someone out that you can play(guitar)with and better yet that you can learn from I'd be all over that.You lucky dogs free lessons.Ya I'd haven a BBQ and inviting some 17yr old over and sayin yea bring your axe.Sumi:D

fensonpaulcaster
May 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Well idk

I've been playing for two years and I've found that I'm better then a lot of guys who've been playing for like forty years, but i think the main reason for that is that the styles have changed

back in the day it wasn't always about getting it right it was just about the music i mean look at even jimi hendrix lol one of the greatest rock guitar players but technically speaking he made a lot of mistakes (now for the record i'm not insulting him he's my idol lol)
and it seems today that everyone is so intent on being the best and fastest the cut corners for the speed

like seriously can anyone think of any classic soloes of today when compared to the classics? i think the new generation has forgot that its about the notes you play not how fast you play them (now if only we could all play the right notes at high speed lol)

kiteman
May 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
That's why I groove on the 70s and the 80s. Real rock.

street music
May 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I was doing the FRont POrch pickin thing again tonight and I tell you the young guys just nail it down on banjo, guitar , bass whatever they touch and can sing like crazy. Wish I could have done that at their age.

Bloozcat
May 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
God bless 'em is all I can say...

Maybe this is a sign that a revival in good music is coming. Anything to drive a wooden stake through the heart of the no talent, commercial music scene...

Plank_Spanker
May 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Maybe this is a sign that a revival in good music is coming. Anything to drive a wooden stake through the heart of the no talent, commercial music scene...

Signed...................:beer:

kiteman
May 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Amen!

street music
May 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Bloozcat, you said it all right there brother, I saw this act on American Idol called NO DOUBT" they sure got the name right because IMHO that is far from being music or artist.

ZMAN
May 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Back in our neighbourhood there was local kid whose dad was an alcoholic, all he did all day was play acoustic guitar. I guess it rubbed off on his 15 year old son, because he was a sensation in the area. He never took a lesson or even had his dad give him one he just watched and learned I guess. He played in several blues bands locally even though he was under age for the bars. There was a local blues bar and he was always asked to perform with the top flight bands that came in. He couldn't even afford to buy a guitar. He used to rent an ES335 from a local shop on weekends and used what ever amps they had in the band. He could play jazz blues or rock and was exceptional. He never went anywhere with it and ended up getting married and heading off to work and a local factory.

just strum
May 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Amen!

agreed.

My subject was "tongue in cheek".

This kid knows music, is in the school band and an all around good kid.

I liken their ability to play as being no different to learning how to use a computer. Younger people dive in because 1) they are not intimidated and 2) they haven't really experienced "replacement cost" so there is no fear of breaking anything.

ibanezjunkie
May 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM
i was playing for 4 years before i even bothered looking for a teacher.

now ive got one of the best guitarists ive ever seen teaching me the best metallica solos. yeeeah.

still suck at sweeping though, as i have no desire to learn it.