PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo for you?

Robert
August 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
I have started thinking about getting a tattoo, because my wife is talking about it all the time. She wants a viking ship. Me, I think I want a GEETAR!

Does anyone here have a tattoo or two? Tips, links, ideas - please share, as I'm new to this. I'm starting to think that a nice Strat on my arm wouldn't be completely wrong. Or maybe a Strat leaning against a little amp!

Other ideas I have is the 3 crowns - the symbol for Sweden (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/se-3kron.html), or maybe something with running, since I love to run.

Examples I found on the net:
http://www.stratcollector.com/images/news/schwartz.gif
http://www.zhippo.com/BlueHorseshoeHOSTED/images/gallery/FLAMING-GUITAR-TATTOO-G.jpg
http://www.rankmytattoos.com/f/uploads/celestial-tattoo-11248616571011.jpg
http://www.bluztattooz.com/Images/temp%20pics/srv%20Number%201%20Tattoo.jpg

Iago
August 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
nice Rob.. some friends of mine are tatoo artists... I was even once "invited" to be one... long story that is...

hummm what you think about a guitar (the model of your choice hehe) and the Swedish flag as background? that could be a nice basic idea...

I once thought of doing a big psychodelic hendrix on my arm... but I gave up on the idea.

Mark
August 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Personally Tats just dont appeal to me. If you do get one PLEASE make sure the instruments are sterile!! Dont take their word for it MAKE em show you! Hep B and C are easily transmited this way. I unfortunately have both from blood contact in my job as an apprentice many years ago. I am a Plumbing contractor and how I contracted it is so unbeliveably rare but I got it just the same. We were able to track it down since I had no surgeries, no tats and no drug use history but I had minor workday cuts that got exposed to blood tainted water servicing hospitals and Doctors offices. I been able to beat it (so far) but I havent been able to drink a beer in 7 years, alcohol and liver probs are real bad mixture. Theres reputable tat dudes out there who have no probs showing you their sterilization process dont accept nothing
less. Not trying to be a downer here just watching out for friends!

marnold
August 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
I've never been one for tats either. It's your body so feel free to make whatever choice you want. Just remember that you are stuck with this choice forever.

Tone2TheBone
August 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
They won't let me into the happy hunting ground if I had a tattoo.

Myles
August 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
I've always believed that a tattoo was fine, but personally it would require a lot of thought for me to get one. I'd want whatever tattoo I got to still be meaningful 20 years from now so that I didn't look back and think.. "Man I'm an idiot!"

So my guide to a tattoo:
1)No Names.
2)Keep it Small.
3)Not on your forehead.

That about sums it up for me ;)

Iago
August 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
I agree with everybody

- make you tatoos with reconized professionals
- I would never do a "name tatoo"
- Don`t do a 15 inches one if you`re just 'starting' on the bussiness, keep it simple.

t_ross33
August 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I have a little one of these on my right shoulder, from the band, Poco. Like the band, always thought this album cover was kinda cool. Got it when I lived in Toronto as a reminder of my prairie/cowboy roots :) without being TOO hick-like.

Have a hankerin' for lots more but waiting to find just the right one(s).

I say go for it Robert!

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Hey Rob get one like Ritchen Valens (the flying guitar).

Katastrophe
August 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Robert, you could get a Strat... but HOW would you figure out which model?:D

I kinda like the idea of your '51, leaning against the Vox or the Reverend, with a Bad Monkey on the floor would be a good one...

+1 to what everybody here says about getting tats, too. Make sure the artist is reputable. A good shop will open a presterilized package of needles right in front of you. Watch how the artists work. Do they wear gloves? Is the shop clean? Also, don't rely on pictures of tats on the wall. Talk to some of the customers hanging around and check out their work.

t_ross33
August 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Tattoo parlors have come along way in the past 20 years. As body art, including tat's, piercings etc. have become, if not more popular, more mainstream, reputable artists are easier to find than ever. "Tattoo parlors", for lack of a better term now have more in common with day spas and salons than beer joints and barber shops, at least in my neck of the woods (though I'm sure I can find a seedy joint or two without having to look too hard).

Find an artist you like (review his/her portfolio) and make an appointment. If you're on a waiting list of 2 or 3 months, then chances are the guy/gal is good and in demand. The more reputable ones will take their art as serious as any axe slinger here at TheFret and will attend trade shows, seminars and classes to constantly learn and improve their technique and further their art. Ask lots of questions! I've been advised to stay away from places that take walk-ins for many of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. If you are ever in the Regina area I can recommend an artist for you. I've seen his work and he is very good. Comes highly recommended. I'll be looking him up when I get the courage up to get more serious "ink done".

Trev

Robert
March 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I still would like a guitar tattoo, if I can find an artist who can make one look good.

My wife is getting a viking ship tattoo soon. That is pretty cool too.

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Once upon a time I considered a tatoo, and an earring. Ended up deciding that in my case, it would look like I was trying too hard. Not really my look anyway.

Ro3b
March 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Robert, if you ever make it down to DC I'll hook you up. :-)

carp3nt3r
March 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I had an earring once. man am i glad that healed over. tattoo, none for me thanks. I see my inlaws with thiers during the summer and man it isnt pretty.

just think about what youre gonna have done, because someday someone will ask you why you chose it. can anyone fathom a reason for a cactus wearing a sombrero and two dice? <--- told ya the inlaws were strange folks I married the only normal one outta that bunch !!

carp3nt3r (please pass the washable markers i am applying a psuedo-tattoo.)

Mark
March 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I had an earring once. man am i glad that healed over. tattoo, none for me thanks. I see my inlaws with thiers during the summer and man it isnt pretty.

just think about what youre gonna have done, because someday someone will ask you why you chose it. can anyone fathom a reason for a cactus wearing a sombrero and two dice? <--- told ya the inlaws were strange folks I married the only normal one outta that bunch !!

carp3nt3r (please pass the washable markers i am applying a psuedo-tattoo.)

Oh man that is just too funny, soda in nose alert!!

R_of_G
September 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I can't believe I'm first finding this thread now. Silly me spending all my time talking about music and sports.:thwap:

I just got a new tattoo this past Saturday. It is my fifth.

Here are some pics of it, as well as the others. May as well put them up in chronological order...

#1 - Skeleton - Inside of left ankle

This was my first. I didn't play guitar at the time. I have since talked to my current artist about covering up the yo-yo with a Gibson ES-135 like mine. That will prob be the next tattoo I have done.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/Skeleton.jpg

#2 - Sun - Upper Right Arm

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/Sun.jpg

#3 - Om - Inside of left wrist

This is one of two that both my wife and I got the same design in the same location. They were anniversary gifts to each other for our 9th and 10th anniversaries.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/Om.jpg

#4 - Lotus Flower - Inside of right wrist

This is the other anniversary tat.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/Lotus.jpg

#5 - Rose - Inside of left forearm

This is the most recent.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/Rose-1.jpg

Ro3b
September 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, that rose is beautiful. Congratulations!

I'll post a pic of my back piece when it's done, but it will probably take at least another year or so. Stay tuned.

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I am partial to the sun one, go figure, Sun Valley and all. Robert, did you ever get one? Maybe you can combine your idea and your wife's and get a Hagstrom Viking.

R_of_G
September 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Wow, that rose is beautiful. Congratulations!

I'll post a pic of my back piece when it's done, but it will probably take at least another year or so. Stay tuned.

Looking forward to seeing it.:AOK:

just strum
September 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
some people can do tats, but I had two removed years ago (just not me). I did have a pierced ear and you can still see it. I would pierce my ear again, but not both.

So I'm not a tat man, but change one letter and I will say I am a ______ man.:D

Childbride
September 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i have four.

they are extremely personal to me and all commemorate an ideology of mine, or an expression of emotion.

[excepting the first, and tiniest. that one was a dare from the ex and is pure flash. the rest were all designed in collaboration with the tattooist. ]

robert, i'd be very picky about whom you allow to do the work, imho. :) what i personally conceptualize when you speak of those particular tattoos entails an artist in fine line, or single needle tattooing. you lose a great deal of detail when you move to the multiple needle work.

M29
September 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I was never much into tatoos but to my surprise, my college bound son came home with one last year that I kind of got enthused about. He had the tree (Nimloth) from Lord of the Rings put on his back. He and I love that trilogy and have watched it many many times and read the books. I have had thoughts of doing the same thing on my back. Shoot not one would ever see it as I am a wrinkly, saggy, skinny runt now since I lost all my musckels over the years. :D

sumitomo
September 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I've got 3,about 20yrs ago and the Hep C popped up 5yrs ago.Don't do it even if they clean good,they might just forget and pour the extra ink back in the container forgetting that it had blood in it.Sumi:D

tunghaichuan
September 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
So I'm not a tat man, but change one letter and I will say I am a ______ man.:D

Me? I'm an a$$ man. Everyone who knows me says: "Tung, you're and a$$, man." :rotflmao:

(apologies to Rodney Dangerfield, but I love that joke)

As for tats, never. I'm scared of needles. I don't dare look when they draw my blood :eek:

tung

just strum
September 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
One reason I am not a tattoo guy is I change my mind frequently (example: selling of guitars after owning them a week or two). I would get bored of it or them very quickly, so it's safer to have none. I see them on other people and I see a lot that I like, but not for me.

just strum
September 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Me? I'm an a$$ man. Everyone who knows me says: "Tung, you're and a$$, man." :rotflmao:

(apologies to Rodney Dangerfield, but I love that joke)

As for tats, never. I'm scared of needles. I don't dare look when they draw my blood :eek:

tung

I like the joke.

As for needles, I wasn't fond of them, but when I was in the hospital with my heart attack they would draw blood twice a night. When they did it, they would wake you up to tell you what they were doing. It got to the point where I would fall asleep while they took the blood. Even now when they take blood, I will hold the needle while they get gauze or sometimes it takes a number of tries to find a vein (I'm the opposite of Robert in that department) and will have to guide them in how to hit a vein.

I just posted this because I thought it strange that I went from someone that didn't like them and had to turn away, to someone who tends to control the process.

R_of_G
September 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
CB, does the Rose tattoo look familiar to you? As a fellow Tower Junkie, it should.

Childbride
September 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
CB, does the Rose tattoo look familiar to you? As a fellow Tower Junkie, it should.

;) most excellent.

none of my tatts are SK related, but my favorite one, surrounding my left ankle, actually incorporates my own handwriting. :)

R_of_G
September 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Sounds very cool CB!

The Rose is primarily because my daughter's middle name is Rose, but then again, part of the reason her middle name is Rose is bc my wife and I are both Tower Junkies.

Childbride
September 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
"Then the heart of the rose opened before him, exposing a bright yellow dazzle of light... It was a sun: a vast forge blazing at the center of this rose growing in the alien grass."

Rocket
September 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Rockette's latest additions:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/179048d4426018b8d.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/179048d4426045b59.jpg

just strum
September 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
For the tattooed ladies out there:

n4zRe_wvJw8&feature=related

tjcurtin1
September 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
For the tattooed ladies out there:

n4zRe_wvJw8&feature=related

Yeah, Strum! One of my favorites songs! I shoulda thought of it!:rotflmao: :bravo: :master:

Sorry, guys and gals - I just don't get the tat thing - they sure don't age well, and like Strum, I'd get tired of looking at it everyday of my life... but each to his own as they say.

And Strum, you should have specified a vowel change, otherwise we could come up with all kinds of things...:poke:

Childbride
September 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Rocket...

daaaang....

how many sittings did she have to go through for those?!!?

excellent work. those are hard colors to tatt well. especially the white. the detail is exquisite.

none of mine are that big.

street music
September 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
NO NEEDLES FOR ME! I hate needles, too many pains in this body to just go out and ask for more. I did see this beautiful dragon that started about mid way of this girls back and it -well you can figure out where the tail ended up.

Rocket
September 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
...how many sittings did she have to go through for those?!!?
Sittings = 4 + 4.

Her initial leg tat was done at Hart & Huntington at The Palms in Vegas and taped for early episode of A&E show called "Inked". She didn't realize until asked to sign a release... then noticed that cameras were mounted all over the shop.

Turned out to be pretty disappointing by her standards and she had it reworked by her guy "Tattoo Rob" at Refined Tattoos in Palm Bay.
Half-sleeve was also done by TR@RT.

Scapula & caboose artwork were both done 15 & 20 years ago in Portland, OR.

Her first was a small Bluebird done in Tacoma in 1977 and incorporated into her caboose cover in 1987.

marnold
September 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I'd probably never get a tat either, just because it's not my style. I'm far too conservative. Having said that, when they closed my alma mater in 1995, several of the students then got the mascot tattooed on their upper arm. I thought that was cool for sentimentality's sake. That I probably could have seen myself doing. I've joked that I was going to get fake fingernails tattooed on the three fingers I no longer have tips for. Good joke, but that hand has seen enough needles as is.

Guitar Gal
September 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I currently have one tat and have been thinking about getting another one :bravo:

GG

mrmudcat
September 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Have several ,love them,Never got one germ of any disease.I still think the stereotype urban legend dogma that surrounds tats ,those who get them ,how unsafe they are is ignorant at best.:thwap: This is not the free wheeling 70's-80's laws and resrtictioins have come a long way.Dont expect much from the guy down the street in the alley who:whatever: will do a nice tat for $50 bux!;)

Any reputable shop will have disposable needles,for each persons(clients) use and autoclave machines for the hard parts( tat guns etc etc )

R_of_G
September 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I still think the stereotype urban legend dogma that surrounds tats ,those who get them ,how unsafe they are is ignorant at best.:thwap: This is not the free wheeling 70's-80's laws and resrtictioins have come a long way.Dont expect much from the guy down the street in the alley who:whatever: will do a nice tat for $50 bux!;)

Any reputable shop will have disposable needles,for each persons(clients) use and autoclave machines for the hard parts( tat guns etc etc )

Well said Mudcat!:bravo:

There's a greater chance of picking up a nasty infection or bacteria going out to eat at a restaurant. Tattoo artists, reputable ones anyway, are extremely cautious and vigilant about safety precautions. Not one of them wants to make a mistake which will cost them their livelihoods. I have worked in more than enough restaurants to know that not every server making $2.13/hr or minimum-wage cook will take the same precautions every single shift every single time. After working in restaurants for 12 years, it canged the way I looked at eating in them.

ShootTheGlass
September 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I plan to get a tattoo at some point, but it will be my own design; this way its unique and will have significance to me. I cant understand getting a tat that is picked from a large book of designs that umpteen people have also probably got the exact same.

The only thing Id be worried about is picking the right artist who could do the job to a satisfactory standard: the thought of paying a lot of cash for something that isnt how you hoped it would come out - as someone said about having a tat redone - puts me off a wee bit :S

R_of_G
September 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Finding the right artist is definitely the most important aspect. The key is to look through as many portfolios as you can to find someone who seems to have a good grasp on the particular style that you want once you've picked your design.

sumitomo
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Here is a good artist. It wont post for me but it is a you tube Bob Ross the joy of tatooing.Sumi

Bloozcat
December 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Have several ,love them,Never got one germ of any disease.I still think the stereotype urban legend dogma that surrounds tats ,those who get them ,how unsafe they are is ignorant at best.:thwap: This is not the free wheeling 70's-80's laws and resrtictioins have come a long way.Dont expect much from the guy down the street in the alley who:whatever: will do a nice tat for $50 bux!;)

I'm not a fan of tatoos at all, but I agree that the health regulations regarding their application have come a long way.

You're far more likely to pick up a Staph infection in a hospital today than an infection in a licensed tatoo parlor.

AprilVoxMan
November 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Here's my rockabilly tattoo. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/39583_1539153652876_1697246_n.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I've never been one for tats either. It's your body so feel free to make whatever choice you want. Just remember that you are stuck with this choice forever.

This. I thought about getting an earring for a while back in the 80's and 90's. But I was pretty clean cut looking and thought it would look like I was trying too hard so didn't. I am glad I didn't. As far as a tat goes, unless it is something very small somewhere that has some symbolic meaning, I would not do it. Also, for some reason, the colored ones look worse to me than the black and white ones. But that is just me. You of course can choose for yourself. If you do do one, I would think a stylized guitar of some kind in black and white, and not too big.

mrmudcat
November 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Getrdun

Tig
November 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Here's a pretty good piece from a guy over in Mark's forum:

http://zhippo.com/SecretLakeTattooHOSTED/images/gallery/Gibson-guitar-tattoo-music-tattoo-jesse-rix-tattoo.jpg

Spudman
November 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
That's too funny. Notice the lettering? That's one of those Chinese Gibsun guitars. :rollover

Here's a pretty good piece from a guy over in Mark's forum:

http://zhippo.com/SecretLakeTattooHOSTED/images/gallery/Gibson-guitar-tattoo-music-tattoo-jesse-rix-tattoo.jpg

mrmudcat
November 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thats a pretty good fake!!!

Tig
November 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
That's too funny. Notice the lettering? That's one of those Chinese Gibsun guitars. :rollover

The "o" looks like an "o". The guy actually owns the LP Custom it is modeled on, which is a real Gibson. Well, I hope it is for his sake!

Edit: Let's see...

http://www.massresonator.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/headstock.jpghttp://zhippo.com/SecretLakeTattooHOSTED/images/gallery/Gibson-guitar-tattoo-music-tattoo-jesse-rix-tattoo.jpg

Now the Gibsun
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/images/30U/30U-14093_headstock-front.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Robert can't do a named headstock. He owns too many different brands. I would say an iconic shape like a strat.

R_of_G
November 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Here's my rockabilly tattoo. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/39583_1539153652876_1697246_n.jpg

Very nice.

I've got ideas set for my next two (both guitar-based), now I just need to save the money.