PDA

View Full Version : How I love wool socks

Robert
May 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
They are so nice!

I detest cotton socks - I have a bit of what we call "toe beer" in Sweden (sweaty toes) and cottons socks just make the matter worse. My feet feel wet soon after I put them on.

In steps the wool sock - problem solved! :D
They are so comfy, and they are warm when it is cold, and cool when it is warm. They don't make my feet feel wet either. Just soft and comfy and dry. :dude:

Spudman
May 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm with you. I quit wearing cotton socks except when I ride my road bike. Every day wear and hiking, climbing, skiing all get the woollies any more. I switched about 10 years ago when I discovered Smart Wool. I can't stand the acrylic stuff anymore either. Good wool just flat out works!

just strum
May 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I always thought wool was warm and made you itch - have I been missing out?

What about wool socks and Crocs?

Suhnton
May 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think one of the contributing factors is that with standard socks air gets trapped between the toes and heats up, providing the perfect breeding ground for "toe beer". In japan here we have 5-toe socks (look like a glove for your feet), which are excellent because no air gets trapped inside. My toe beer disappeared just like that (snaps fingers) after wearing those. They are very comfortable once you get used to them.

http://www.tozzok.com/images/wearing-toe-socks.jpg

Spudman
May 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I always thought wool was warm and made you itch - have I been missing out?

What about wool socks and Crocs?

Perfect combo.

poodlesrule
May 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I like my Smartwools but I seem to wear them out fast...

I find the feeling of sweaty feet (mine!) to be unbearable after a while.

I believe some shoes are better ventilated than others.
I have a pair of super-comfy New Balance I like a lot, but sadly, they make my feet sweat. They were a thrift shop purchase, so it is not a big deal... (New balance outlet, here, Boston area offers trade-in programs, once in a while).

Other/music: Spouse and me are going to "Battle of the Saxes" tonight... something different!

Algonquin
June 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
+1 on the wool socks :AOK: I love my Merino wool socks and don't know how I got along without them before. I also like Wright socks too, and they wear like iron. A bit expensive, but they last and last!

The thing I like about the merino wool is how they wick moisture. When I canoe I wear sandals so I can step into the water when approaching the shore. Once unloaded I find wool socks so much easier to put on damp feet than other socks, and I can't do a portage without a good sock and solid shoe or boot to help reduce the risk of injury.

Wool is the absolute best!

markb
June 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
You ain't lived 'til you've tried these. Sheep s the one natural resource we have lots of and, as for possums, well we've got to have some way of getting rid of the damn things.

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/cp/Possum_Merino_Socks

Robert
June 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
haha, awesome Mark! Do you know if I can get them in North America somewhere? I am definitely in for ordering some quality socks. The stores around here just have the cotton crap.

Spudman
June 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'm wearing some recently acquired wool socks right now. It's in the 60's inside the house.

Roberto - there are deals out there if you just look around and mail order.

Monkus
June 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
*muttering* ...we are not having this conversation...

markb
June 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
haha, awesome Mark! Do you know if I can get them in North America somewhere? I am definitely in for ordering some quality socks. The stores around here just have the cotton crap.

Try this place

http://productsfromnz.com/browse_1025

SuperSwede
June 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I thought that wool socks made your feet warm, and thus more sweaty?? I sweat a lot too so I might have to try to find a pair of wool socks.

Spudman
June 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I thought that wool socks made your feet warm, and thus more sweaty?? I sweat a lot too so I might have to try to find a pair of wool socks.

At least 70% marino wool SS and you'll think your feet died and went to Heaven. You know what they say? "once you go wool you'll never go back.":D