PDA

View Full Version : Bonamassa & Clapton at Royal Albert Hall video

Jimi75
May 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Well, yesterday was one of the days I wish I had planned earlier to travel to London (which is only 1 hour away per airplane) and see Joe Bonamassa playing the Royal Albert Hall. Eric Clapton joined him for one song and here's a first video...great stuff. Watch the crowd in the end of the video, must have been a memorable moment for Smokin' Joe! Can't wait to be getting the Live DVD that they shot yesterday.

:master:

DydslPSlyaE

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Very cool!! :cool: :dude: :bravo: My very first guitar hero with my latest! Here's another video clip for the same tune, different viewpoint:

X1o8Ibqi1hA

birv2
May 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Wow. I guess that means that Joe has officially arrived!

Just noticed the 2 drummers.

Wonder what Clapton was playing through?

helliott
May 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Wow. Joe's got the massive big boy band happening here. Amazing even on handheld camera speakers. Lots of mutual respect flowing there, I think. Also a reminder of how hard it is to trade solos, when even the best miss their pickup notes a little.
Amazing though. Can't wait for the DVD, assuming there is one, as Jimi said.
I think EC is playing through that little combo with the honkin big hanging mic. Joe's rig (recently featured in GP) is just to its left.

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I think EC is playing through that little combo with the honkin big hanging mic. Joe's rig (recently featured in GP) is just to its left.
Yeah, I think you're right. I read some comments re: the show on JB's website forum, and someone mentioned that after this number, a roadie came out and removed Clapton's amp from the stage, so they knew he wouldn't be back for any more numbers.

What do you suppose it is? Looks like a Fender tweed model of some sort, or maybe some frighteningly expensive boutique copy of one....

helliott
May 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
When I saw him in Toronto last year, he was using a little farm of amps like that. They must be custom, but looked for all the world like tweeds, and I got pretty close.

Jimi75
May 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Clapton's a 59 Fender Bassman player, isn't he?

markb
May 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Clapton's a 59 Fender Bassman player, isn't he?

Low power (40w) tweed Twins according to an article I've got here about his guitar tech. Almost the same as the Fender CS '57 Twin reissue.

Jimi75
May 6th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Low power (40w) tweed Twins according to an article I've got here about his guitar tech. Almost the same as the Fender CS '57 Twin reissue.

Thanks for the info. Those 40w Reissues are great amphs.

duhvoodooman
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Concert review from the London Times:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6227964.ece

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Here's a clip I came across on YouTube that's pretty cool. It's from the BBC show Later...with Jools Holland. Recorded mi-April, during Joe's tour over in the UK and Europe. Unusual in that Joe is playing one of his new songs off the John Henry CD with Jools' band, not his own. Kind of interesting to see the TV-style video rather than the usual concert stuff. The sound quality is outstanding, as you'd expect. Also a brief interview section at the end with Joe talking about his influences.

XXyQ6mhdN9c

duhvoodooman
May 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure this is exactly what Clapton was playing through, but it looks pretty darned close. Review in the newest edition of Premier Guitar:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200906_1/?folio=156