PDA

View Full Version : ZYS & Overdrive 2 Comparison: Features & Cost

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I've received a couple of inquiries lately about my Zonkin' Yellow Screamer (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2230) (ZYS) mega-modified Tube Screamer-type overdrive, mostly due to the very positive comments some of my prior customers have made in threads like THIS ONE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11213). But some significant events that have transpired since the ZYS was conceived a couple of years back that directly impact the price and value equation for this pedal that I'd like my prospective customers to understand.

ZYS Background

The ZYS is a heavily modified version of the original BYOC (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html) Overdrive pedal, which is itself a circuit clone of the revered Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808. The chief modifications I add are:

The incorporation of a 6-way rotary switch to allow all the possible combinations of 2 gain settings (TS808 stock and high gain) and 3 bass filter settings (stock, more, yet more).
A 3-way toggle to switch between three different clipping modes: stock TS808 silicon diodes, red LED (a.k.a. "Landgraff clipping"), and MOSFET clipping.
Inclusion of three additional opamps along with the TS808 stock JRC4558D. Since the pedal uses an opamp socket rather than soldering it directly to the PCB, you can switch these and choose whichever one you like best.
So if you add up the possibilities between 6 gain-bass settings, 3 clipping modes and 4 opamps, you can run the ZYS 72 different ways! You'll be hard-pressed to find a more flexible OD pedal than the ZYS!! Tones galore on tap!!

The downside is that all this flexibility requires additional parts, a larger enclosure, and a LOT more assembly labor. And another significant event took place at the end of 2008 that impacts the situation greatly: BYOC no longer sells the original Overdrive kit. So I have to order all the parts "a la carte" from multiple vendors, adding much more time and significant additional cost. Bottom line: current price has jumped to $250 plus shipping (about another $10, depending where in the ConUS you are; other destinations would be higher, naturally). That's a lot of money for a pedal, I know. I think it's a fair price, given the time & cost to make a ZYS and its quality & features vs. what you'd get in comparable handbuilt "boutique" type pedals. After all, it's not for nothing that the ZYS is the favored overdrive pedal of several discriminating Fretters!

The New Kid in Town

However, here's an alternative I'd recommend that prospective ZYS customers strongly consider. The reason BYOC no longer sells the Overdrive is that it's been replaced by their new Overdrive 2 kit (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html) (OD2). This is a complete kit redesign just introduced in January. It still uses the same TS808 circuit, but has now incorporated several of the most popular TS808 modifications right into the kit. While it doesn't have quite the degree of flexibility of the ZYS, you still get the essential features with switchable clipping modes (silicon diode & red LED, plus a no-clip "diode lift" setting), 3 bass filter settings, and adjustable gain range. The difference on this latter one is that it's not an external control--you have to set a trimpot inside the enclosure. It also comes with two different opamps--the vintage TS JRC4558D and the hi-fi Burr Brown OPA2134A. Let me restate one critical point: It's the same base circuit as the ZYS! At equivalent settings, the two pedals sound indistinguishable. I've run them side by side, "A/B" style, so I know this to be true.

Additionally, the OD2 has a completely new feature that my ZYS can't match--a separate boost circuit with its own stompswitch and level control integrated into the same pedal. Very cool! By default, it follows the overdrive in the signal path, but the wiring can be modified to put the boost first, or even (for a few dollars more) make the order switchable.

Not to sound too much like one of those cheesy late night TV commercials....but wait, there's more! For an extra $8, a MOSFET conversion kit can be added that allows the pedal to be set up similar to some of the very popular MOSFET overdrives out there (Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, Hermida MOSferatu, etc). You can convert the basic OD2 design to use MOSFETs (a different type of transistor than the TS808 uses) in 5 different places in the circuit: input buffer, output buffer, clipping stage, opamp, and booster stage.

Further details about the Overdrive 2 are available in THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10394), including photos and a link to an audio clip (though the recording quality on it kind of sucks).

Finally....because this is a currently available kit and can be built entirely from BYOC supplied parts without need for the special ordering and "major surgery" of the ZYS build, I can offer it MUCH more cheaply. Current pricing is $135 + shipping for the stock TS808-based kit, and an additional $8 to incorporate the MOSFET conversion to whatever extent you choose. Even though I'd make a bit more on the ZYS, I really think this new Overdrive 2 pedal is a much, much better value at this point. That said, if you compare both pedals, want the greater overdrive circuit flexibility of the ZYS, and don't mind paying for the privilege, I'll be happy to build you one.

marnold
May 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I know I've said this before about other pedals, but that OD2 sounds very cool. Is there another pedal that the boost circuitry would be comparable to?

Tone2TheBone
May 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I still can't get over how beautiful the original ZYS pedal sounds. I use it almost all the time. How many of the originals were made Voo?

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I know I've said this before about other pedals, but that OD2 sounds very cool. Is there another pedal that the boost circuitry would be comparable to?
The standard OD2 boost is basically the same simple bipolar silicon tranny boost used in the classic Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster. The MOSFET version would be analogous to something like Jack Orman's MOSFET Booster, though I think there are some minor differences. The linear boost will give you more gain and a firmer bottom end, but will distort sooner than the MOSFET, which is known for its clean sound and nice sparkly top-end. I like 'em both, so I built mine with all socketed components in the boost section, so I can switch between the linear and the MOSFET whenever I want.

I still can't get over how beautiful the original ZYS pedal sounds. I use it almost all the time. How many of the originals were made Voo?
Not counting my prototype, I think it was seven, all to fellow Fretters. Nelskie got the last one, a little less than a year ago now.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I sure would like to get one sometime. I think I would prefer the TS808 specs over MOSFET, if I understand correctly that it is one or the other. I would love to hear clips of that build. I know Dreadman received one, but got away without posting clips. :reallymad: ;) Someday. Might have to wait for birthday $$ for this one, but it sure is tempting. I love my Bad Monkey, but given how versatile my Rabid Rodent is, I would think a OD2/Rabid Rodent combo would be a very powerful one. :rockon: :DR :R

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I sure would like to get one sometime. I think I would prefer the TS808 specs over MOSFET, if I understand correctly that it is one or the other.
Actually, the pedal can easily be built with some of the MOSFET options and not others. The one that I really urge people to include is the MOSFET pair instead of the stock red LED's for the second clipping stage. The LED's, because of their very high forward voltage threshold, sound very close to the diode "lift" (middle clipping toggle position), i.e. no signal clipping at all. In that case, you're hearing just the distortion created by the opamp's gain. But the MOSFET's have a nice warm, somewhat smoother sound that complements the edgier tone of the stock TS808 silicon diode clipping. Along with the diode lift position, you end up with three distinctly different tones. And you don't have to buy the $8 MOSFET conversion kit to get just the MOSFET clipping--it's just a pair of 45 cent BS170 MOSFET's, and I bought a bunch of extras to have on hand for exactly this purpose.

...I would think a OD2/Rabid Rodent combo would be a very powerful one.
Only one way to find out, Steve.... :poke: :D

piebaldpython
May 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
SVL.......hold on to your britches for a week or two and I'll give a thorough review of my HYBRID MOS Y MAS OD2 pedal. As DVM stated, to be a pure MOSFET pedal, it would have to have the MOSFET in 5 places. Mine has it in 3 places; input buffer, clipping stage and boost stages.

I hope to try the OD2 out anyday now. Swamped at work!!! Anyway, I can barely post to the forum, so don't expect pics nor clips. ;)

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cool PBP! My britches are held for some time on that project. I will enjoy hearing your report, and will expect your schedule to clear for pics and clips soon enough!!! :poke: ;)

piebaldpython
May 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Cool PBP! My britches are held for some time on that project. I will enjoy hearing your report, and will expect your schedule to clear for pics and clips soon enough!!! :poke: ;)

:rotflmao: No.....meaning that I am barely computer savvy enough to post to the Forum. That fact coupled with my computer being almost 10 yrs old means that pics/clips ain't happening. :D

duhvoodooman
May 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
To provide a quick comparison of the features of the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer and Overdrive 2, here's a tabular summary of the two, along with a couple of photos:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/744a084141ad50d.gif

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7448f62af0d9813.jpg http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7449a6a46b1d1c2.jpg

marnold
May 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM
If only I knew someone who could build an OD2, perhaps with a distinctive paint job. Sigh. . .

majwild1
May 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM
This guy has pre-assembled byoc overdrive-2

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page1.html

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
This guy has pre-assembled byoc overdrive-2

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page1.html
Yes, he does. For $139, assembled but unfinished. That's a fair price and they do quality work.

Or you can get it from me assembled & unfinished for $110, or fully painted & decaled for $135. Kinda seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? :D

majwild1
June 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm kinda new to the forum voodoo heck I didn't know you built them also, I was going to order one may as well be form you. I'll check out your site

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Now you're talkin'!! :AOK: :dude:

BTW, Marnold's post was a little "in joke". He and I were already talking about me building one for him....

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Wait a minute!! I have a better idea (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11873).... :D :dude: :rockon: