PDA

View Full Version : AD30VT stock speaker power handling

sense2k
May 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
hi all
Can someone tell me the power rating for the stock 10" 8ohm ?
i ask because i replaced with ragin cajun and did not see it marked on the speaker anywhere
and to my ears stock sounded louder at equal volume settings
has anyone else noticed that?

thx

just strum
May 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
hi all
Can someone tell me the power rating for the stock 10" 8ohm ?
i ask because i replaced with ragin cajun and did not see it marked on the speaker anywhere
and to my ears stock sounded louder at equal volume settings
has anyone else noticed that?

thx

I don't have the owners manual, but I would think there would be something in the back. They may omit it if they tend to change stock speakers.

I find it hard to believe that you think the stock is louder than the rajun cajun. I did the same swap and I think the RC outperformed the stock in volume and tone.

markb
May 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Speaker efficiency varies. Some speakers are capable of producing more level from a given power output. So the key here is not the power rating of the speaker but its efficiency, usually measured as xdB/watt/metre. If you want to know the relative loudness of a speaker this is the figure to look for. It's not usually quoted in amp manuals.

sense2k
May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Is it safe to assume that the stock speaker's power handling is lower than the ragin cajun's?
if so, then could there be any truth to the amp 30W driving a less powerful speaker producing louder sound for same volume level?
I do not play loud (live in apartment) but for low volume, it sure seems like stock is louder. Now, when i get to crank it, I may see the enhanced tone from the RC

by the way do you know what size wrench fits the speaker nuts?
i removed with pliers - big pain in the arse - specially trying to tighten them again

bigG
May 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just checked my manual for the AD50VT (lists info for all AD-VTs). It's not in there, but:

email: support@korgusa.com

phone: 516-333-8737

Hope this helps. :)

sense2k
May 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry but i don't see how Korg fits into all this??

what's the power rating for the ad50 stock speaker?
maybe that will give some idea as to the ad30 stock

markb
May 8th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry but i don't see how Korg fits into all this??

what's the power rating for the ad50 stock speaker?
maybe that will give some idea as to the ad30 stock

Korg own the Vox brand. If you want more info than they give in the manual your best bet is to contact them.

marnold
May 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM
According to this page, the AD30VT's speaker has a 97dB sensitivity, but no power rating is given. I'd have a hard time imagining it would be anything more than 50W. The margins on these things are razor-thin so they're certainly not going to overbuild them.

http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/some-info-on-vox-valvetronix-speakers-t1276.html

When I replaced mine, the Cajun was noticeably louder. It also lost that shrill high-end at volume which could possibly be perceived as a loss of volume in general.

sense2k
May 9th, 2009, 06:52 AM
This is a great site