PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Training Goal or two.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Considering this race, the duathlon portion: http://redfishtri.com/photos.htm

I would not have much time to get ready, but would be a good early season goal that would make me get out there and push it a little. Running is not as easy on my joints as it used to be, but a couple of 5K legs on either side of a bike ride could be doable. I am interested in the swim. After a few years of focus on young kids, I feel it is time to commit to a race type event. If not this one, then one more toward the end of the summer. I may do some more event shopping. I will report back.

I have a late July guitar training goal too, a performance at a family camp accompanying my Dad as he plays sax. We are going to do "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World", both in the key of C. We could play them as a medley, but if I use the looper, we would likely play them separately. I am planning on looping some rhythm and then playing in tandem with him taking turns leading and accompanying. That will be a good goal, as he is an excellent musician, and I will need to have my chops down. :)

Spudman
May 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Beer. You are going to need a lot of beer to get through this. :beer:

When is it? I noticed everyone wearing wet suits. Redfish in July and August is great near the docks but I can imagine it being pretty frosty since it's all mountain melt. Brrr. You are a much braver dude than me. :dude:

Blaze
May 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I ve made this arrangement of Wonderful World and my son sang it for my father 80 th birtday party , then we recorded for him..It was fun ..

Your project is a nice gig and a good goal Sun..

Wonderful World Clip (http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7307086)

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Very cool Blaze! Thanks for sharing it and you and your son's performances were very enjoyable! I like listening to different arrangements to get ideas.

Spud, notice I said I was looking at the DU-athlon, not TRI-athlon. ;) The event is on June 20, a week after I was planning to come visit you. Wetsuits are required if you are swimming, as the water that time of year is in the 50s. Later in the summer, I have no problems waterskiing without a wet suit. In fact I prefer it. I wear a weenie-suit, as us superior acting puget sound waterski kids called them back in the day, only in early season. :D

It is not so much the cold that warns me off the swim. Though I am a satisfactory utility/survival swimmer, I am not efficient at all, and don't want to get in there with a whole bunch of other folks bumping into me, knocking my head under water just when I am going to take a breath, etc. Yikes!

Spudman
May 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Spud, notice I said I was looking at the DU-athlon, not TRI-athlon. ;) The event is on June 20, a week after I was planning to come visit you.

Well yer still gonna need a lot of beer to get thru it.

So do we train hard that week or do I take it easy on you?

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Better stock up on the beer anyway! :beer: Train hard, then liquid carb replenishment fluid. Vitamin B12 is not to be underestimated!

Spudman
May 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
You're going to need carbs too right? And bubbles? Don't the bubbles make you stronger too?

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mmmmmmm, . . . . . . . . bubbles.